E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #101
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
My Step-bro and his fiancee both ride and hit track-days 4-6 times a year, pretty cool. They both have SV650's.
They try and get me to get a bike or go to the track events but I ain't crazy enough to get into the cycle game. I don't trust the other drivers on the road, seen a number of bad accidents and have had some old classmates get themselves killed.

I'll take 4 (or 3) wheels thanks.

I'd love to have a Benelli or Ducati though.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #102
kevmo
Registered User
 
kevmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: MD (Ft. Meade)/MA
Posts: 13,478
My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
it's ok bro riding is only for the strong types
__________________



Last edited by kevmo; 03-06-2008 at 04:02 PM.
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #103
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,729
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
My Step-bro and his fiancee both ride and hit track-days 4-6 times a year, pretty cool. They both have SV650's.
They try and get me to get a bike or go to the track events but I ain't crazy enough to get into the cycle game. I don't trust the other drivers on the road, seen a number of bad accidents and have had some old classmates get themselves killed.

I'll take 4 (or 3) wheels thanks.

I'd love to have a Benelli or Ducati though.
pu$$Y
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #104
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
I'll be laughing while you're in traction
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #105
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,729
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
In traction?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #106
kevmo
Registered User
 
kevmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: MD (Ft. Meade)/MA
Posts: 13,478
My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
traction?.. can u tires hold at a 42 degree lean?

here comes the vidz of cars beating bikes.. i can see it now

we say he's a pupusa for not riding.. and he brings up traction.. wow

edit wow i just read that again.. wtf u'll be laughign when we're in traction?..
__________________


kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #107
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #108
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo View Post
traction?.. can u tires hold at a 42 degree lean?

here comes the vidz of cars beating bikes.. i can see it now

we say he's a pupusa for not riding.. and he brings up traction.. wow

edit wow i just read that again.. wtf u'll be laughign when we're in traction?..
You're trying to tell me two wheels will hold better than 4? LOLOLOLOLOL
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #109
lexpression
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville/Charlotte/Pittsburgh
Posts: 514
My Ride: '11 e92 M3
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
More times then not, bikers end up like that because of people with 4 wheels.
__________________
New: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Perf Gloss Black Kidneys | M Perf Carbon Splitters | M Perf Carbon Mirrors | MPE | iND Gloss Black Side Markers | iND MW Front Reflectors | iND DCT Billet Shifters | KW Sleeve Kit | Challenge Urethane ST Front Spoiler | Metak Rear Diffuser

Old: '11 Audi S4 | Prestige | Roc-Euro | AWE | Escort | APR | KW | OSIR | Rotiform
lexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #110
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpression View Post
More times then not, bikers end up like that because of people with 4 wheels.
That's what I was getting at with my earlier posts. You can be the best bike rider in the world but it's the other fools on the road you need to worry about.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #111
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,729
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
He's not saying 2 tires will hold better than 4, but that bike tires have better traction.

Why?
Well with a contact patch smaller than a credit card, holding as much gripping force as it does when leaned all over at 100+ mph, we def have a single car tire beat.
Cars do have more traction, becauseu have 4 larger contact points that for the most part remain constant, plus a rectangle (4 wheels on the ground) is more stable than a line (2 bike tires)

But wheel for wheel, contact patch for contact patch, we have the edge, litterally and figuratively.


As for your post. You can die in your car too. Bikes have they're disadvantages and they're advantages. I personally would give up my bimmer to keep my bike without hesitation. Because while the bimmer makes me grin, it doesn't make me feel truely alive, not the way my bike does when I'm cruising into the sunset on some afternoons.

We can go all day about which is better, but as you said, its clearly not your cup of tea, and you'd probably be too scared to appreciate it, and that's fine.

Us bikers share something that few cager groups can relate to. When I pass another bimmer, we check out each others car, but no one ever waves or nods. Bikes wave or nod to each other, harley to crotch rockets, cruisers to tourers and all kinds of other, even scooters wave sometimes. There are a few chopper/harley fux that don't wave back to sportbikes, but that's fine, that just means they're not hardcore, because the harleys I passby during the cold winters on my crotch rocket wave back. That tells me its the posers and weekend warriers that don't wave, as they're not out when its less than ideal.

To each their own tho, but until you swing your leg over one you call your own, you will never ever understand why we risk it all for TWO.
My fiance thinks she understands because she loves to ride pillon, but she really doesn't, because she had the nerve to suggest I hang it up once, so that tells me she doesn't really understand, she just loves the feeling it gives to ride.

Its like I was telling kevmo, my boy broke his back in the twisties with us a lil less than a year ago, he has two 7" Ti rods in his back holding him together like fukin humpti dumptie, and he said he was done, but alas, he bought another bike this winter. That's something only another biker can understand.

So its all good cager, just do me a favor and check that blindspot before switching lanes, aight.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #112
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,729
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
That's what I was getting at with my earlier posts. You can be the best bike rider in the world but it's the other fools on the road you need to worry about.
Like I used to tell my marines back in the day, "this sh1t aint for everybody"
It applies to bikes, and to bimmers too. But especially bikes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #113
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
I'll stick to puttering around the desert on my bro's dirt bikes.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #114
Bimmerphile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: OC
Posts: 188
My Ride: 02 M3 SG/IR
Any good forums or sites for first time or prospective riders?

Riding is on my list of things to do before I die, and I'd rather start soon than later
Bimmerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #115
kevmo
Registered User
 
kevmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: MD (Ft. Meade)/MA
Posts: 13,478
My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
He's not saying 2 tires will hold better than 4, but that bike tires have better traction.

Why?
Well with a contact patch smaller than a credit card, holding as much gripping force as it does when leaned all over at 100+ mph, we def have a single car tire beat.
Cars do have more traction, becauseu have 4 larger contact points that for the most part remain constant, plus a rectangle (4 wheels on the ground) is more stable than a line (2 bike tires)

But wheel for wheel, contact patch for contact patch, we have the edge, litterally and figuratively.


As for your post. You can die in your car too. Bikes have they're disadvantages and they're advantages. I personally would give up my bimmer to keep my bike without hesitation. Because while the bimmer makes me grin, it doesn't make me feel truely alive, not the way my bike does when I'm cruising into the sunset on some afternoons.

We can go all day about which is better, but as you said, its clearly not your cup of tea, and you'd probably be too scared to appreciate it, and that's fine.

Us bikers share something that few cager groups can relate to. When I pass another bimmer, we check out each others car, but no one ever waves or nods. Bikes wave or nod to each other, harley to crotch rockets, cruisers to tourers and all kinds of other, even scooters wave sometimes. There are a few chopper/harley fux that don't wave back to sportbikes, but that's fine, that just means they're not hardcore, because the harleys I passby during the cold winters on my crotch rocket wave back. That tells me its the posers and weekend warriers that don't wave, as they're not out when its less than ideal.

To each their own tho, but until you swing your leg over one you call your own, you will never ever understand why we risk it all for TWO.
My fiance thinks she understands because she loves to ride pillon, but she really doesn't, because she had the nerve to suggest I hang it up once, so that tells me she doesn't really understand, she just loves the feeling it gives to ride.

Its like I was telling kevmo, my boy broke his back in the twisties with us a lil less than a year ago, he has two 7" Ti rods in his back holding him together like fukin humpti dumptie, and he said he was done, but alas, he bought another bike this winter. That's something only another biker can understand.

So its all good cager, just do me a favor and check that blindspot before switching lanes, aight.
well put sir .. i would give up my car ANY DAY OF THE WEEK... if the weather here was spring/summer all year long... i really would sell my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerphile View Post
Any good forums or sites for first time or prospective riders?

Riding is on my list of things to do before I die, and I'd rather start soon than later
best thing to do is take the motorcycle safety course mang
__________________



Last edited by kevmo; 03-06-2008 at 07:14 PM.
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #116
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,729
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
I don't like general bike forums. They just blab on.
I think model specific forums are sooo much better, kinda like here.

Being a good rider I think starts with how attentive a driver you are. Do the msf before you even touch a bike, those guys will spin u up to where you need to be, and typically answer all your initial questions.
They give u the basic tools to get into riding.
Get your gear, then get your bike.
Remember with gear, up to a point, you get what u pay for. For example, I can look at a $90 helmet, and feel completely at ease paying for my $640 Suomy.
The quality difference is alarming.
Riding in timbs is not good enough, get proper boots. You don't see Marines hiking in Nikes do you. Protect your limbs. Same for gloves, that $50 joint will tear and bust your hand open in a fall.

Once your geared up, pick a starter, and go for it, be smart, don't rush it, you will be suprised how much you learn taking your time and riding at a pace, just below uncomfortable. At the same time, remember this is your life you're dealing with.
Don't hang with the wrong crowd, leave the stunts for later, they're expensive to learn. Hang with cats that do trackdays, not Bp warriors at the gas stations. The guy that does track will sometimes have more experience combined than the entire hangout spot combined. Pick his brain, not the wheelie king that's always running from the cops.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #117
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,729
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
I'll stick to puttering around the desert on my bro's dirt bikes.
U know, u don't have to ride on the streetsbe apart of the brotherhood of riders.

Look into super motard, especially if you are nice on a dirt bike.

There is also to 100% trackbike with a sportbike. I know quite a few guys that simply don't ride on the streets anymore, but will kill you on the track, they're just so fookin fast.

Hell there is a guy on one of my bike forums who's a amateur racer at age 60, cool a$$ dude too, and they say he's fast too. But he admits to holding back because old bones don't heal so easily, he says. lol.

He's my frikin idol, and I don't know him beyond the forums. He too is 100% track, no street riding, except maybe a test ride here and there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #118
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
Super Motard bikes look cool.
Ride365 I think has one.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #119
kevmo
Registered User
 
kevmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: MD (Ft. Meade)/MA
Posts: 13,478
My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
those guys are crazzzzy rear end slidin' like CRAZY
__________________


kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #120
lexpression
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville/Charlotte/Pittsburgh
Posts: 514
My Ride: '11 e92 M3
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo View Post
those guys are crazzzzy rear end slidin' like CRAZY
tell me about it. i used to ride with a guy with a ktm motard, i have no idea how they do it.
__________________
New: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Perf Gloss Black Kidneys | M Perf Carbon Splitters | M Perf Carbon Mirrors | MPE | iND Gloss Black Side Markers | iND MW Front Reflectors | iND DCT Billet Shifters | KW Sleeve Kit | Challenge Urethane ST Front Spoiler | Metak Rear Diffuser

Old: '11 Audi S4 | Prestige | Roc-Euro | AWE | Escort | APR | KW | OSIR | Rotiform
lexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use