E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #1781
guest1205
Banned User

My Ride: A car
Stopped by the Ducati dealer yesterday. These bikes are such gorgeous pieces of machinery!

guest1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #1782
guest1205
Banned User

My Ride: A car
One day I hope to be good enough to ride this.

696, though. 1100 is probably too much for little old me.

guest1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #1783
\\\VLADA

My Ride: C70 T5
Send a message via MSN to \\\VLADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
thanks for the all input, guys. i didn't mean to start a flame war with japanese vs italian sportbikes. for the price, though, i think i'm gonna stick with a japanese, especially since i'm a n00b.

so i'm deciding between a 04+ gixxer 600, and r6.

i like the look of yamahas better(headlight design, at least) but i've heard that gixxers are better to ride around town than the r6 because of more torque, and r6's really shine at high rpms on the highway. any truth to this?

seems like now is the optimal time to buy, a lot of people are dumping their bikes since riding season is "over", i found what i think to be good deals on craigslist. '04-'07 r6's and gixxer 600s with single or low to mid double-digit mileage from $4,000 to about $6,000. i realize that a 600 is a lot for a n00b, but i have several buddies who will help me out the entire way, who i'll be riding with until it snows or gets REALLY cold. plus, i'm not gonna squid it out at all, full gear at all times.

cliffs: r6 vs gixxer, pros and cons?
the r6 indeed shines in higher rpm's. but don't expect the gixxer to be much different when it comes down to low-end torque. you have to realize that they're both inline 4, 600cc sportbikes.....they love rpm's. the gixxer is also slightly more comfortable from my experience......it might not be the same for you though.

in the end, there isn't a big difference therefore get what you like most.
ex-YU thread

Motorcycle thread
\\\VLADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #1784
motoracergabe

My Ride: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by \\\VLADA View Post
+1
there is not much difference in the 600s. find the one that fits you best, one you think looks good, is comfortable for your size/height, etc...

did you take MSF course yet??
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #1785
luilocs

My Ride: 03 325i, 04 M3
2000 Yamaha R6 Stunt Bike
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
luilocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #1786
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
what are your goals for getting a bike? if you just want to go fast in a straight line, then get whatever you think looks better.
i would like to drag knee, eventually. don't just wanna be a typical squid monkey that flys past cars on highways only. hell, i don't think i'll be going on the highway anytime soon, i'm terrified of the dangers .

Quote:
the r6 indeed shines in higher rpm's. but don't expect the gixxer to be much different when it comes down to low-end torque. you have to realize that they're both inline 4, 600cc sportbikes.....they love rpm's. the gixxer is also slightly more comfortable from my experience......it might not be the same for you though.

true, thanks for the insight! i just need to find a r6 to sit on and test out, and see which one fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracergabe View Post
+1
there is not much difference in the 600s. find the one that fits you best, one you think looks good, is comfortable for your size/height, etc...

did you take MSF course yet??
not yet, i will once i practice with my friend. right now, i only have a permit
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #1787
\\\VLADA

Take the course, it's important. I still can't believe you guys can simply sit on a bike and ride. Here you have to take a sh!tload of theory and practical tests, and still can't ride a serious bike before your 21st.

A few things i learned during my courses:

look way ahead (this is important when driving a car and even more so when riding a bike especially on a windy route)
stay within your comfort zone (even when riding with other people you should not try to keep up. you'll notice that your comfortzone will gradually expand)
don't use the rear brake too much, but also not too little (applying the rear brake will help stabilize the rear a bit during hard braking, apply gently do not slam on it)
choose the surface on which you ride (avoid marks, arrows and lines on the pavement. also: if it looks wet it's dangerous even if it's only water)

there are a lot more lessons to be learned on these courses, but these i learned the hard way. be safe and happy riding.
ex-YU thread

Motorcycle thread
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #1788
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
i would like to drag knee, eventually. don't just wanna be a typical squid monkey that flys past cars on highways only. hell, i don't think i'll be going on the highway anytime soon, i'm terrified of the dangers .
If you're serious about dragging knee, I (and +50 on this board) will recommend a smaller cc bike like a GS500 or ninja or even an sv650. they are a lot more flickable and you'll learn to become a better rider instead of trying to avoid spinning the rear tire on corner exit.

Quote:
choose the surface on which you ride (avoid marks, arrows and lines on the pavement. also: if it looks wet it's dangerous even if it's only water)...
Yea, I avoid man hole covers, even debate which paint looks "rougher", sometimes the entire lane is covered in brand new paint
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #1789
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracergabe View Post
just my input:
1098 > gsx-r

jk jk
not for me but only cuz i have to pay for it. it is was free, it'd be a no brainer, if maintenance was covered forever.

i'd like a bmw one day tho. maybe an r6 down the line. my gsxr is fun and good enough for me tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
If you're serious about dragging knee, I (and +50 on this board) will recommend a smaller cc bike like a GS500 or ninja or even an sv650. they are a lot more flickable and you'll learn to become a better rider instead of trying to avoid spinning the rear tire on corner exit.

Yea, I avoid man hole covers, even debate which paint looks "rougher", sometimes the entire lane is covered in brand new paint
more flickable? idk about that, but prob better to start out on. although i didn't, i'm no riding expert.

countersteering and stuff is much easier on the supersports IMO.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #1790
motoracergabe

My Ride: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
more flickable? idk about that, but prob better to start out on. although i didn't, i'm no riding expert.
i kinda agree with them being more flickable. I was able to scrape the pipes of both sides when i had my ninja 500. scared the sh!t out of me the first time.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #1791
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
they are more flickable, especially te 500s, way more flickable that any full one 600 supersport
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #1792
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
i need an LED for my bike
Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #1793
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:

true, thanks for the insight! i just need to find a r6 to sit on and test out, and see which one fits me better.

not yet, i will once i practice with my friend. right now, i only have a permit
You can drag knee on any bike... it's all about proper body position, speed, etc etc etc...

I don't know why that's a "goal" of yours though. There are many people on the tracks faster than me who don't even drag their knee. And I can drag my knee through just about every single turn and on the streets if I want to. (Don't take note from my street pictures I posted earlier as those were taken for fun. )

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #1794
\\\VLADA

i can't say much about the flickability...
ex-YU thread

Motorcycle thread
Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #1795
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
You can drag knee on any bike... it's all about proper body position, speed, etc etc etc...

I don't know why that's a "goal" of yours though. There are many people on the tracks faster than me who don't even drag their knee. And I can drag my knee through just about every single turn and on the streets if I want to. (Don't take note from my street pictures I posted earlier as those were taken for fun. )
well, basically i meant that i wanna be a good rider, and would want to go to the track often. i don't wanna be a monkey of a squid who only knows how to ride fast in a straight line.

after doing research, and getting flamed on sportbikenetwork, i think i'm gonna go with a sv650s. i wanna become a good rider, and it seems to be unanimous almost that starting on a sv650\s would allow me to improve riding skills easier than someone starting on a 600ss... what you guys think?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #1796
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
sv650 is a great bike, i know a few guys that went from 1000 after a few years back to SVs
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #1797
Jack_Smackus
Knight Rider

My Ride: 1993 BMW 320i

Real Programmers Don't Document - If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Jack_Smackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #1798
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
^That was some insaaaaaaaaaane sh*t to watch!!!

I'd like to see the police try to catch him...

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #1799
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
imagine going up an indoor stairwell, that would be so cool to jump rooftop to roof top
Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #1800
J Yim

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Hey guys, noob here.

Im about to get my bike tomorrow and I was wondering what do I need to register it? Does it need an inspection?
I live in Maryland btw.

thanks!
J Yim is offline   Reply With Quote