E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
sharkface

My Ride: 2000 323ci
cricket noise???

When my car is in idle, there is an odd "cricket noise" coming from the engine. The noise would disappear when I give it some gas. Before the noise would appear when the car is in gear, but now it appears when the car is in neutral also. This started about few weeks ago. Sometime, the check engine light would come on then by end of the day, the check engine light would disappear. Itís a big mystery to me what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated
sharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
DwrdSpyrl

My Ride: 2001 ///M3
Send a message via AIM to DwrdSpyrl
If the noise is coming from under the hood, you've probably got a worn bearing on one of the pulleys. From what I've seen the idler pulley is a common point of failure on these cars. It could just as easily be any of the other belt driven accessories (water pump, etc) so you'll need to track down exactly where the noise is coming from if you plan on DIY, or take it to the shop.

It could also be the the bearing on the fan blower motor (cabin air). Noise would be coming from the back of the engine bay (near the winsheild / cabin filter). This should very audible from inside the car as well.

New Ride: 2001 LSB ///M3
Updated Sig Coming Soon
DwrdSpyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
ZbeZHP05

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP AW
Damn I think I have this issue as well. I just got the car and have heard it before on other e46s... I think mine is the fan blower motor bc I hear it in the car only and its when I initially start the car however its not consistent. Its a high pitch cricket type noise, correct? Mine is coming from the center vents in the dash above the radio.
ZbeZHP05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
mistrzmiasta
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
I had the same cricket sound as you described and it was the fan clutch...i don't know if you have the same set up as me as i know some cars have the electric fan instead of the engine driven one....in mine i have both the electric pusher fan and the engine driven one so the clutch on the engine driven one was blown....in mine the pusher fan kept going on every 2 minutes but the engine never overheated....i checked the fan clutch and it was giving that weird noise until i gave it a little gas...usually did it at idle...hope this helps
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
DwrdSpyrl

My Ride: 2001 ///M3
Send a message via AIM to DwrdSpyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZbeZHP05 View Post
Damn I think I have this issue as well. I just got the car and have heard it before on other e46s... I think mine is the fan blower motor bc I hear it in the car only and its when I initially start the car however its not consistent. Its a high pitch cricket type noise, correct? Mine is coming from the center vents in the dash above the radio.
Thats probably the blower motor. You can usually hear it if you turn your fan on low and drive around.

New Ride: 2001 LSB ///M3
Updated Sig Coming Soon
DwrdSpyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
SW222
Banned User

My Ride: is silver and slow.
Goto Home Depot and get some bug sprays. Might be a few crickets getting drunk in there.
SW222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
it could also be the fan that is cooling down the electronic box on the driver side before the firewall.
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
mainhoona

My Ride: 2000 323ci
similar problem fixed

I had the stupid cricket sound in my engine for about a month and no one knew why. Then I took it to a mechanic who looked (and heard) at it for sometime and said that it might be the engine belt pulleys. He said the belts looked fine so it's gotta be the pulleys.

He was right. About $300 later, the crickets are gone!
mainhoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I had it too, BMW replace the idler pulley...it came back.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
porrietae

My Ride: 02 330ci AlpineWhite
i have this too... plus my fan is pulsing inside (both heat & while a/c is running) i wonder if both are connected? how we fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZbeZHP05 View Post

:::next mods:::
|CAI|Borla catbck exhaust|chipUpgrade|DVD/mp3 player??|18/19's??|m3 side mirrors??|
porrietae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by porrietae View Post
i have this too... plus my fan is pulsing inside (both heat & while a/c is running) i wonder if both are connected? how we fix this?
These are two sepearte instances.

The one described in this thread is the fan-clutch wearing out (engine compartment related).

The one inside the cabin is the air recirculation fan wearing out. It is present even if you turn the inside air completely off. Look up "cricket*" in the search engine and you find about a zillion posts on this noise + some DIY on the recirc fan one.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Hristaki

My Ride: 330 Convertible
Agreed with Misterzmiasta.

At the beginning of the year i had to change my pulley idler and tensioner because of the loud cricket sound at idle. Common for them to wear out over time and cause this sound.

Just recently a less severe cricket sound could be heard from my car when at idle position and worked out it was the viscous fan clutch which again has worn out over time and wasnt spinning the fan hard enough.. i could literally put my fingers in front of the fan to stop it.

So, from my experience the two points to consider for the cricket sound are:
- the pulley idler and tensioner
- the viscous clutch
18'' M3 reps - M3 steering wheel - TV/SatNav - Harman Kardon sound system - Aluminium ///M Pedals - M lip spoiler - Micro Antenna - LED lighting - Updated tails - Xenon headlights - ///M Floor mats - M-tech II bodykit - 15% tints
Hristaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
jbowser12

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I had a similar sound. small squeek at idle, touch the gas and it went away. I first replaced the Idler pully and both belts. Sound was 10X better but still had a small cricket noise. replaced the belt tensioner and it went away.

I would go with these first as they are pretty cheap.

idler pulley = ~40
both belts = ~100
mechanical belt tensioner = ~70

Last edited by jbowser12; 05-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.
jbowser12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
fr0

My Ride: e46 328i
fixed this a few months ago. i changed all the pulleys...cricket noises were still there until i changed the tensioner (http://www.bavauto.com/assets/imglib500/11281717188.jpg). the old one was pretty worn out. the end with the bushing in it didn't have any more rubber! so you might wanna check that out.
fr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
refill

My Ride: 2000 323 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
These are two sepearte instances.

The one described in this thread is the fan-clutch wearing out (engine compartment related).

The one inside the cabin is the air recirculation fan wearing out. It is present even if you turn the inside air completely off. Look up "cricket*" in the search engine and you find about a zillion posts on this noise + some DIY on the recirc fan one.
I am experiencing the so-called cricket noise now. But for me, I get the cricket noise when I completely turn off my A/C system, and I can still hear it clearly in the cabin. It does seem to get quieter after a drive for a while and it's completely random in terms of interval and consistency. Sometimes it's intermittent and sometimes it's constant cricket noise. So even if my air is completely off inside my cabin and the cricket noise is still present, it means my recirculating fan is wearing out? If it was a pulley, belt, or pulley, would I be able to hear it clearly in the cabin with all my windows rolled up? My guess is cabin recirculate fan, but not sure with all these posts pointing to so many different possible sources.
refill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
fr0

i fixed mine a while back. it was my tensioner. i have the hydraulic tensioner and it has a rubber insert on the top bushing and the rubber piece was worn out making the washer in it touch the tensioner. metal to metal rub made the cricket noise for mine. if you have a mechanical tensioner it might be the pulleys bearings worn out.

DINAN CAI/ DINAN Stage I software upgrade/ebay headers/ more to come...
Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
refill

My Ride: 2000 323 Ci
I am starting to lean towards the instrument cluster fan blower, since the other posts mention something about it always on, regardless if cabin air is on or off. and in my case, I hear the same cricket sound when I turn on or off my cabin air. But if it was the tensioners, would I be able to hear it clearly when I'm sitting inside my car with the windows up? I don't hear any cricket noise if I stand right by my engine while the car is running, but I do hear it inside the cabin with doors/windows closed.
refill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
ravinderr2005

My Ride: Bmw 330ci sport
i have this proble as i start it makes a noise loke something is loose but once revved it goes away, some times my fan inside the car stops blowing air why ????
ravinderr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #19
fr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinderr2005 View Post
i have this proble as i start it makes a noise loke something is loose but once revved it goes away, some times my fan inside the car stops blowing air why ????
the electric fan comes on and off to cool down the radiator. it is normal to turn off when it reaches optimal cooling.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
fr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by refill View Post
I am starting to lean towards the instrument cluster fan blower, since the other posts mention something about it always on, regardless if cabin air is on or off. and in my case, I hear the same cricket sound when I turn on or off my cabin air. But if it was the tensioners, would I be able to hear it clearly when I'm sitting inside my car with the windows up? I don't hear any cricket noise if I stand right by my engine while the car is running, but I do hear it inside the cabin with doors/windows closed.
with my windows up when i had the noise, i can barely hear it. if you turn off your cabin air and you don't hear it, then it is your fan blower. it usually makes the noise around the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th fan setting. be careful when replacing those. the fins are flimsy and can bend easily during installation. a little bend could make the cricket noise come back.