E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
***Don Nguyen | Blacked Out Chrome Trim Vinyl Wrap Pictures***

Old thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=734930&page=9

New thread for me to post pictures of the various types of cars that I have blacked out the chrome trimming (window trims, grills, etc) on.

I may occasionally post pictures of customers' cars who have bought materials from me to DIY for their cars as well, for those who are not local enough to me to have me personally work and do the installation on their cars.

Feel free to ask any questions or PM me directly if you have any specific questions. If there are any specific request for pictures, you can also easily try searching on my site at http:www.WannabeRacer.com or if you can't find what you're trying to look for, let me know.

For this silver/grey BMW M3 E93 convertible I blacked out the chrome/brushed aluminum around the windows and rear convertible lid piece with my matte black vinyl material. We went with the matte black to match the mirror bases on the car. I think matte black goes well on medium toned colored cars like grey and silver.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black front grill
- Gloss black window trim and rear trunk bar
- Tinted / smoked rear tail lights

For this black Mercedes Benz C63 AMG coupe, I blacked out the chrome trim pieces around the window, front grill, and rear trunk bar in my gloss black vinyl material, to give it a factory finish/look, similar to the black optics package that is available for these cars now. I also lightly tinted / smoked his rear tail lights as well. The chrome pieces were not all completely blacked out, which still gave the car some contrast. The work done gives the car a nice subtle change without making anything look after market. Most people would think that the car came this way from the factory. The owner of the car drove out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County from Pasadena to get the vinyl work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black window trim vinyl wrap
- Gloss black front grill wrap

Most people usually say that most vinyl wraps usually look the best on white or lighter colored car, but that is not the case, especially when it involves wrapping or covering up the chrome trim pieces on a car. If anything, the chrome accents on the car probably stand out even more so on a darker colored car than a lighter one. For this Lexus IS350 F Sport sedan, the owner had me vinyl wrap both the chrome window trim and front grill in my gloss black vinyl material. The owner of the car was from Riverside and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the work done. As you can see in the side by side before and after picture that I have back to back, the change is subtle, but still improves the overall look of the car quite dramatically.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black lower front bumper lip wrap
- Gloss black window trim vinyl wrap
- Gloss black lower rear bumper chrome trim wrap
- Gloss black trunk handle bar

Mercedes, and even a lot of newer cars in general, have for some reason decided to add a constantly increasing amount of chrome to every next generation of car that is produced. For this particular Mercedes Benz E63 AMG sedan, he wanted to have the chrome on the lower front bumper, side window trim pieces, rear trunk handle, and lower rear bumper chrome blacked out in a gloss black vinyl finish. The owner of the car was from Inland Empire / Rancho and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl car wrap work done. We didn't completely black everything out and still left some chrome pieces on the car so that the car still retained some contrast.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black window trim vinyl car wrap

Had some requests for some more close up pictures of the area where the trim meets the rubber weather stripping. For this grey Audi A5 coupe, I blacked out the chrome window trim on the car with my gloss black vinyl material. The owner of the car came out to me from Los Angeles / Torrance area to Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl work done. We went with gloss over matte to blend with the tinted windows better and also match the black optics package that Audi now offers on some of their cars.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 08-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black window trim wrap
- Gloss black front grill surround vinyl wrap

Even with this fairly stock white Lexus IS350 or IS250, after blacking out the chrome window trim and front grill, it really cleaned up the look of the car. The blacked out chrome trim pieces compliments the rest of the car fairly nicely. The owner of this car was from Cerritos and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to get the vinyl work done. For this particular car, we also went with the gloss black finish over the matte black finish for the chrome pieces.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
alexs.lens

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
The side window trim is one of the only things on any of my cars I will probably leave chrome... It gives it a more executive feel, and not only shows off the sporty shape of the windows, but also looks less budget-model if you get where I am coming from.

This is strange because I usually hate chrome and black everything out, such as my kidney grilles.

Oh well, nice work for sure Don.
alexs.lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs.lens View Post
The side window trim is one of the only things on any of my cars I will probably leave chrome... It gives it a more executive feel, and not only shows off the sporty shape of the windows, but also looks less budget-model if you get where I am coming from.

This is strange because I usually hate chrome and black everything out, such as my kidney grilles.

Oh well, nice work for sure Don.
Sport packaged cars actually usually come with gloss black window trim as standard. Although, I have heard of people wanting to keep/maintain their chrome window trim for the same reasons you listed though, so it is not completely unheard of, haha.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black wrap on rear window piece

Vinyl wraps can be used to restore factory pieces as well, such as on the rear the trim piece on the convertible top of this Mercedes SL500. More commonly, you'll see this issue with the B pillars and such on most cars. The owner of the car came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County from around south Oceanside / San Diego to have the vinyl work done. Everything else on this car was in fairly clean and good condition, except for these rear trim pieces, so the results afterwards made a subtle but a positive big change in the car's overall appearance.

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 11-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Glocss black to black out chrome door handles

I do vinyl wraps that most other shops or craigslist wrappers would not want to try or would try unsuccessfully. I had previously blacked out all of the other chrome pieces and roof for this Maserati Quattroporte. However, the owner finally decided that the final remaining chrome door handles had to go as well. I don't know why manufacturers still offer so much chrome on their cars, especially on an entire door handle like this, but that's what I am here for. The owner of this car was in Irvine / Orange County, and I came out to him to do the work on his car.

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #11
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Carbon fiber lower front bumper lip vinyl car wrap
- Carbon fiber grill surround vinyl wrap
- Plasti dip grill black out

A returning customer of mine brought his Mercedes Benz E class sedan to have me black out the chrome on the front and rear of his car. For the front, I vinyl wrapped the lower front bumper lip and also the grill surround in the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. However, the center of the front grill was plasti dipped a matte black finish. In addition the other front, I also wrapped the top center portion of the rear spoiler and also the chrome trunk bar in the same 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber vinyl material. The owner of this car was from Beverly Hills Los Angeles and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl work done on his car.

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com