E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
dnanorton

My Ride: 323i
engine rebuild.

I have a 2000 323i (stock M52tu engine) with 100k on it. I'm wondering how much hp/torque I could get out of a NA engine rebuild for a budget of $7k-$10k.

I know I could go SC or custom Turbo, but thats not the point of this thread. I'm wondering just about NA.
dnanorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
www.vacmotorsports.com
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
MatthewLFD

My Ride: 550i 6spd + Corvette
I can build you a higher compression m52tu motor if you can provide the parts. That will let you choose your compression ratio.

What kind of build are you looking for? I did a stock M54 rebuild with no problems, but Ithe customer went for OEM parts only. I could do the same with aftermarket parts if you wanted.
MatthewLFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanorton View Post
I have a 2000 323i (stock M52tu engine) with 100k on it. I'm wondering how much hp/torque I could get out of a NA engine rebuild for a budget of $7k-$10k.

I know I could go SC or custom Turbo, but thats not the point of this thread. I'm wondering just about NA.
I would think you would just get a few hp back that your car had when it was newer. My guess would be about 5 or 6 hp if you replaced things with identical parts. More with aftermarket and performance parts. Like if you decided to go higher compression, hotter cams, equal length headers, and matched software, I think you could see 30hp? Just my guesses.

Edit, I was thinking of the M54B30 engine in the 330, gains would likely be less in the 323 motor. But I believe it is only a few parts like the crankshaft that separate the enginen from the 328 motor.

Last edited by mkodama; 03-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
numba1guju

My Ride: 2013 328i
Send a message via AIM to numba1guju
get a newer e46 for the 10k+sell price of your car...just my .02

2002 325i: Black/Black
Mods: Clears, VM V715 Matte Black 19in staggered, 20% tint all around, Suspension Technique Coilovers, p46s 6000k w/ aurora 60LED
numba1guju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
Stroke out to 3.0 spec with higher compression, and a valve job. Contact VAC for parts and know how.

Favorite sponsors
Bavarian Soundwerks | Euro Spec

Mods : Performance : Active Autowerkes Stage 1 C38 New Subframe and TMS Rear Re-Enforcements Upgraded VANOS seals M3 Fuel Baffle KW V2 ZHP Control Arms E60 Short Shifter Sound : Bavarian Soundwereks Stage 2 DICE iPod Link Looks : Replica M3 Mirrors Replica M3 Front Bumper Matte Black Grillz LED Signals
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #7
dnanorton

I like my car, I bought it new in 2000. I'll be keeping it.

Now back to the post.

With a stroker kit I can get more displacement. I can bump the compression a little with the right pistons while I'm at it, but I still want to run premium pump gas (93 oct) so I don't want to get to crazy. Blue print and balance everything, polish and port the heads at a really good machine shop. Rebuild it up with the right cam, valves, springs, bigger injectors and software to match. Im sure I'm missing something...........

300+ hp is the goal, but I'm just guessing. I'd like to find someone who has done it. I also wonder how it would run ater all that. Would it be streetable? It has to drive everyday.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
dirtbiker245

My Ride: 00 323ci, 02 325i
300hp out of a 323 is definitely pushing it if you want to stay NA... If you are looking for those kinds of numbers, I would reccomend doing some more homework. You might be better off going forced induction and calling it a day. 100k miles on a bimmer isnt enough to justify a rebuild in my opinion... I just did a valve job on my 2000 323, but mine has 188k miles... Did a compression check after getting the head job all done and back together and ive still got very good compression across the board. The bottom end of the m52's are pretty solid and can see well over 200k if properly maintained. Should be able to push 300k Id imagine.
dirtbiker245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
cancell

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to cancell Send a message via MSN to cancell
It'll be alittle difficult to get 300hp out of the m52 without some custom work. Get a 328i short block and fuel injectors, port and polish the cyl head, hot cams, higher comp pistons, with full exhaust and all the bolt ons, a good computer tune and I really bet you'll only be sitting at about 250 hp....unless you really go crazy on the motor.

If you're truly going to do this, don't forget to get a LSD.

You'll probably have a more reliable engine if you just bought a wrecked m3 and did the whole conversion rather than hopping up an m52.

What are your plans for your car?

The lesser we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
There is a new price on freedom, so buy into it while supplies last.
We've unified over who to kill, so until I find more relevant scripture to quote...
remember, our god is bigger, stronger, smarter, and much wealthier.
So wave those flags with pride... It's the makeshift patriot.
cancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Check out pei330ci's build thread in the Motorsports section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanorton View Post
I like my car, I bought it new in 2000. I'll be keeping it.

Now back to the post.

With a stroker kit I can get more displacement. I can bump the compression a little with the right pistons while I'm at it, but I still want to run premium pump gas (93 oct) so I don't want to get to crazy. Blue print and balance everything, polish and port the heads at a really good machine shop. Rebuild it up with the right cam, valves, springs, bigger injectors and software to match. Im sure I'm missing something...........

300+ hp is the goal, but I'm just guessing. I'd like to find someone who has done it. I also wonder how it would run ater all that. Would it be streetable? It has to drive everyday.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Check out pei330ci's build thread in the Motorsports section.
Confirm. His is a little extreme, but it give you some good ideas, like VAC's oil baffle and such.

Favorite sponsors
Bavarian Soundwerks | Euro Spec

Mods : Performance : Active Autowerkes Stage 1 C38 New Subframe and TMS Rear Re-Enforcements Upgraded VANOS seals M3 Fuel Baffle KW V2 ZHP Control Arms E60 Short Shifter Sound : Bavarian Soundwereks Stage 2 DICE iPod Link Looks : Replica M3 Mirrors Replica M3 Front Bumper Matte Black Grillz LED Signals
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
dnanorton

pei330ci posts answer a lot of mu questions.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.