E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
beberle

My Ride: 2009 328 wagon
Oil Seperator- Never Before Seen Pics!!

That's right ladies and gentlemen. For the 1st time ever, the elusive oil seperator/crankcase vent has been captured hiding in its den!! Unfortunately, the photographer was left battered and bleeding by this ordeal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Seperator Bottom Hex Removed.jpg
Views:	5654
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	263069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Seperator Top Hex.jpg
Views:	4290
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	263070  
beberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
beberle

Dead Seperator

Unfortunately, the elusive seperator refused to come quietly. It had to be 'put down'... we all mourn its loss...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dead Oil Seperator.jpg
Views:	4565
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	263071  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
beberle

Seriously, I hope that some of these pics help. It was obvious from all of the oil under and around the seperator that it needed to be replaced. I've spent the last 5 hours in the garage... and I'm only half way! One thing is certain, you have to remove parts in proper order to get everything out of such tight spaces. Some tips:

- Undo the master cylinder vacuum hose hex mounting bracket next to the intake manifold in order to get enough slack in the hose to remove the driver's side firewall panel.
- The engine wire harness has to be loose in order to reach the clamps holding the intake plenum to the throttle body. You better also have removed the driver's side panel as well.
- One poster mentioned breaking the fuel tank vapor return line mounted on the strut tower. I disconnected the line from the tower and tried to get it out of the way. Pics attached. This line is in the way and easy to break.
- Intake plenum has to be removed in order to have room to work the dip stick out.
- I used a paper towel for grip and was able to pull the oil line off of the dip stick.
- Dip stick has to be removed to get the throttle body out. Only one wire connector joining the throttle body to the wire harness. Throttle body was easy to unbolt, but hard to get out around the wire harness. I rotated it and got it out small-side 1st. That's the side facing the firewall.
- Using the new seperator as a guide, it's easy to locate the two hex screws mounting the vent. It also helped taking the close-up photos to see what I was dealing with... better than a mirror.
- I got the dip stick oil line and the valve cover line off the seperator somehow. Couldn't get the intake line off... so I cut the elbow off of the line up top where it joins the intake manifold and pulled the line out w/ the seperator. I can't believe how tight the space is below the manifold.
- The seperator shattered when I tried pulling it out.
- With luck, I should be able to put everything back together in 2 or 3 hours.

Not sure if I would do this one again. $400 is starting to sound like a bargain, but would they have replaced all of the hoses?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel Vapor Recovery Hose.jpg
Views:	2991
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	263078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive Side Panel Removed.jpg
Views:	2609
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	263079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dip Stick Removed- Return Hose Dangling.jpg
Views:	2404
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	263080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seperators Lair.jpg
Views:	2286
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	263081  

Name:	Wire Harness- Throttle Body Removed.jpg
Views:	2496
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	263082   Click image for larger version

Name:	What a mess.jpg
Views:	3348
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	263083  

Last edited by beberle; 03-13-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
I feel your pain. Did this two weeks ago, although I took the "easier" route of taking off the intake manifold (part of my 50K preventive maintenance and cleaning thing, including ultrasonic fuel injector service, etc.) to get to the CCV. I would've busted all my knuckles and bruised all fingers if I didn't do it the longer way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
... I used a paper towel for grip and was able to pull the oil line off of the dip stick...
Good for you!! Had to just cut this off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
... Not sure if I would do this one again. $400 is starting to sound like a bargain, but would they have replaced all of the hoses?
This is so true.

For those who will attempt this soon, save yourselves some agony and buy all 4 hoses that go with the CCV. It is SOOOOO much easier to just break all of those off than trying to release them properly and preserve them.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
beberle

Here are some shots as I start putting my baby back together. One of the most difficult tasks is connecting Hose #3 (coming from the intake manifold runner). I used a tip from this forum. This hose rotates into a locking position... but there's no room under the manifold to rotate much of anything. The trick is to push the hose from the top to get it to twist while holding the oil seperator/ crankcase vent at an angle. Practice w/ just the hose and the seperator in-hand and then dive in! You can squeeze your left hand past the fuel vapor valve at the front of the manifold and use your right hand to position the seperator. The other 2 hoses are a breeze and just click into place. Use silicon or some other lube on the hoses to make it easier to connect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hose 3 top Hose 7 bottom.jpg
Views:	2117
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	263177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose 7.jpg
Views:	1730
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	263178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose #3.jpg
Views:	1883
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	263179   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil level sender.jpg
Views:	1753
ID:	263180  

Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
beberle

Once you have the seperator bolted in (believe me, after all this time, you'll have memorized where those #@!!% hex screw are)... I used a screw driver handle w/ T25 torx head, you can start buttoning up the electrical connections. 1st is the oil level sender right below the seperator.

Next, reinstall the throttle body. Mine was tarnished, so I used a cleaner and did my best.

Here's the kicker... my throttle body intake elbow was cracked. So, I had to run to the stealer and buy a new elbow. I bought a new boot as well while I was at it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil level sender.jpg
Views:	1556
ID:	263181   Click image for larger version

Name:	varnished throttle body.jpg
Views:	1718
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	263182   Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked intake boot.jpg
Views:	1829
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	263183  
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
beberle

Okay. Throttle body is installed. Time to re-attach the main wire harness w/ the 2 nuts and 1 bolt. After that, put the dipstick back in. I had trouble w/ the gasket. Also, be very careful not to get any of the 'crud' hanging around the dipstick port into the crankcase. I carefully wiped the crap away and then pulled the gasket out of the port. I re-used the old gasket... I suggest others buy a new one... put the gasket on the dipstick and wrangled it into the port. Has trouble getting the gasket back into the port. I used a small flathead screwdriver and pushed the gasket down.

Once the haness and dipstick are installed, you can install the shiny new intake boots that you just bought.

**** BIG TIP **** I rotated the hose clamps so that they face up. Took a whopping 5 minutes to install the intake boots this way. Again, use silicon to make attaching the rubber pieces easier. Next, connect the vacuum hoses to the intake boot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dipstick port - gasket in.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	263185   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire harness and dipstic installed.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	263186   Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle body installed.jpg
Views:	1498
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	263187   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd intake boot - vacuum hoses- driver wall installed.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	263188  

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
GWU_Greek
Banned

My Ride: 325
thanks for the DIY
GWU_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
beberle

We're on the home stretch! All of the dispair and misery that you felt 5 hours ago is begging to fade away

Intake boots are installed. Hmm... plug up the intake resonator and idle control valve electrical connections. After that, you can install the driver's side firewall-plate doohiki. Once that's done, have fun w/ the hose bracket that sits right behind the throttle body elbow. It's a hex screw from hell. I used a vise-grip and torx bit to get into that tight spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new boot - screws turned up.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	263189   Click image for larger version

Name:	resonator and idle control valve plugged up.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	263190   Click image for larger version

Name:	hex bracket installed.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	263191   Click image for larger version

Name:	special t27 tool.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	263192  

Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
beberle

Where were we at? Oh yeah, I save the top intake manifold hose for last. It runs from the nipple on Hose #3 and connects to an intake runner towards the back of the engine. Make sure that you run the hose under the electrical connection in the middle of the intake manifold. I forgot, so I had to disconnect the electrical connection and re-route over the hose.

**Note** Once these new seperator hoses are connected, they're a royal pain to remove again. I pulled most of the old hoses by cutting the clips on the connectors.

Home-stretch! Install the airbox and mass air filter. Install the cabin air filter housing and then install the engine cover.

I may have missed some steps, but these are my recollections considering that I'm on my second whiskey-on-the-rocks after this crazy ride. People have ranked this job as an 8-out-of-10. I'll raise it to a 8.5!!

My 330i has 135k miles on it and is running in peak condition. I've now replaced the cooling system, valve cover gasket, belt pulleys and tensioners, and finally the oil seperator. I've put maybe $600 into it by DIY. Now, I'm looking forward to the next 100k miles!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	intake hose port.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	263193   Click image for larger version

Name:	new manifold hose.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	263194   Click image for larger version

Name:	135k miles.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	263195  
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
What does this thing do, how do you know when its going bad, what's are the symptoms.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
beberle

Lots of posts on the oil seperator or crankcase vent going bad.

-Potentially, you're engine can self destruct because the vent is pumping oil straight into the intake manifold and forcing the cylinders into hydrostatic lock. A few cars on this forum in cold climates have suffered this.
-From some of my pics, you can see a good bit of oil leaking.
-Also, I had smoky exhaust on start-up from oil in the manifold. No more! My startups are clean and quiet.
- Noisy engine operation. The 'honking' noise of a bad valve
- Over-pressure from the bad valve can blow out the valve cover gasket. I just replace my valve cover gasket because it was leaking. I'm beginning to think that the bad oil seperator may have lead to premature gasket failure.

Those are enough reasons! Shine a light under the intake manifold to see if you have any oil leaking. Ever since I replaced my valve cover gasket, my oil consumption has been next-to-nothing. I bet the car 'uses' no oil now. This is on my 2001 330i w/ 135k miles. I love the inline 6!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Great job on the writeup and thank you for the tips! It gives a better idea where the friggin thing is located.

I am 2 hours from a dealership so this may be a forced DIY. Thanks again.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Krazee

My Ride: 325XI
Very nice, thanks for the DIY!
Krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
emg2919

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
thanks man, much needed pics are a lifesaver. ive seen another guys post on here about the ccv/oil separator but no pics, so i was waiting to see if someone was going to post a DIY with pics. i may just diy now instead of taking it to an indy. But, after reading on how you were saying, spend the 400 to have a shop do it, i may reconsider.

ha, thanks though, great job-
emg2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #16
Max_oliveira

My Ride: 02 330Ci Sport
I just had mine replaced under warranty in mid January and guess what? it plugged again in mid march, the dealer said it was due to residual moisture in the engine. They checked it last week and said it was good, cold temps tend to cause the valve to freeze. It's still covered but since its warming up in Minnesota now, I don't expect any problems until next winter....
Max_oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
psmoodey

My Ride: bmw x5
Hello,
Trying to replace the oil separator on my X5...what silicon sealant should I use to connect the tubing? Any comments are appreciated.

Paul.
psmoodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
You don't need silicone sealant. The hoses either have o-rings and locking clips or are just pushed it (like the hose to the dipstick).
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
psmoodey

My Ride: bmw x5
Thank you. Any one knows of a manual that has pictorials/process to remove oil separator? Are the pictures shown on this thread and the descriptions sufficient to replace the oil separator on an X5? Please comment.
psmoodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
Kole

My Ride: e36 M3
psmoodey, I just did the oil separator on my x5, but I think they changed them a few times over the years. On my 2000 all I had to do was:

Pull off the cabin air intake box, there is one nut on each side you take off. Pull off the weather stripping that runs across the length. Then there are plastic cups on each side that slide out vertically. Pull the box over the bolts and the whole thing will come out.

Take off the acoustic cover, 4 quick hex bolts.

Now you have two hoses that run from the drivers side to a conical bit on the back of the intake manifold. That is the separator. You will want to change both of those hoses, mine were jelly. The oil separator has two bolts that hold it in place, which are very easy to drop into god knows where. Ask me how I know.

The hard part is the hose that connects to the bottom of the separator. Replace that one too, mine was almost nonexistant. It is almost impossible to rethread that short little hose back through where it is supposed to go, so good luck. Other than that an extremely easy job, only took me two beers to get it knocked out. Definitely not looking forward to the nightmare ahead of me for my 330Ci as I see on here.

By the way, anyone need a mass air sensor for an X5? $180.
Kole is offline   Reply With Quote