E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
330iGuy07

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
how deep should tread be before replacement?

I have the 18" tires that came on my 2004 330i ZHP (M wheels/tires). They're 4 years old and have about 30K miles on them. I estimate there to be just under 1/4" of tread depth. What is the number/depth I should start thinking about replacement?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
you can take them to a place like discount tire and have them use a tire tread gauge or buy one and check yourself. im sure you can find one at a autozone and snag one.
mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
Every so often in the grooves there is a...forgot the name so let's call it a "speed bump" when the tread and that bump line up or almost line up it's time to change your tires. Just run your hand along the groove and you'll feel it.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
^^^ "wear bars"

Your tires probably started with about 11/32" of tread depth. The wear bars are 2/32" tall. When the tread is worn even with them, the tire is considered worn out.

Generally, the less tread depth you have, the better the tire will grip and handle on dry pavement. The tread lugs flare slightly as they get to the bottom, so the shorter they are, the more rubber contacts the road. Also the shorter the tread lugs get, the more stable they are. More rubber contacting the road and stiffer tread lugs = better handling.

The downside is that once you're dealing with anything other than dry pavement, the lower tread depth makes the tire handle worse. The most common example is driving in rain. A newer tire has more volume in the tread grooves, so it can move more water faster out from underneath the tire, allowing the tread lugs to stay in contact with the road surface. When the tread groove volume isnt enough to displace water at a rate that allows the tread lugs to stay in contact with the road surface, the tire hydroplanes. That's bad news.

So depending on the conditions you drive in, it might be a good idea to replace the tires before they reach the wear bars. Or, you can maximize your mile per $ and run them down until they're slicks before replacing them. It's a judgement call on your part.

Hope this helps.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Everything you need to know:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
^^^ "wear bars"

^thanks for filling in the name..
Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
330iGuy07

Thank you all for the input. The tires(and rims) are currently off the car for the Winter. When I did drive them last Fall, I noticed some slipping (or start of hydroplaning) on a few really rainy drives. Right now I have the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on and it's been great. But these are 16" wheels and I want to go back to the 18" wheels now that Winter's over.

I might first have to buy the 18" Pirelli or Goodyear F1 all season tires before I put them back on. I was just a little put off and uncomfortable about the way the car handled on wet roads.

Based on Tire Rack reviews, people really seem to like both and claim they handle very well on wet roads. Anyone have further comments about a good set of all season tires to go on the 18" M wheels?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
330iGuy07

I guess I really need to get mine replaced. I finally got around to using the penny measurement method of the treads on my 18" tires. They're down to about 6/32" at the deepest point and almost nothing at the lowest point where the treads thin out to a point.

In this file image, my treads are thickest (6/32") in the wider parts of the treads, but progressively become nothing as the treads narrow to the point. Is that the normal design of this tire?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iGuy07 View Post
I guess I really need to get mine replaced. I finally got around to using the penny measurement method of the treads on my 18" tires. They're down to about 6/32" at the deepest point and almost nothing at the lowest point where the treads thin out to a point.

In this file image, my treads are thickest (6/32") in the wider parts of the treads, but progressively become nothing as the treads narrow to the point. Is that the normal design of this tire?
I had to replace my RE750 Potenzas because they were bald on the insides of the tire, despite having maybe another 7,000 miles to go on the thickest part. I was worried about hydroplaning problems.

It's normal for the insides to wear faster, especially the rears.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote