E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #321
Platnumdesi01

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
Navin - Whats up bro!! I met you at HIN and you were really informative and you know I will be hitting you up for more advice. Congrats, I didn't know that you had just installed the S/C. Congrats!
Platnumdesi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #322
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
Talha/Fran... I have the Gruppe M intake in my car right now and I don't plan on changing it out. My mechanic shares the same opinion as I do and we feel that we won't have any problems. The only thing is that it's a TIGHT fit for the Gruppe M intake and you can't reuse the blue silicon ring that came with the Gruppe M, which isn't a big deal because my mechanic will get me a silicon ring that will fit it, even if it means trimming it to fit precisely.

It's certainly your car whether you decide not to use this with the Gruppe M, but I plan on using mine.
Some more info from Asbjorn. This is his entire reply on what intake he does suggest to use with the TS.....

I would strongly recommend using the BMW oem intake or bmw performance intake. On the oem one you can simply drill a 1.5" diameter hole behind the headlight and eliminate all pressure drop in this assembly.

So it sounds like there is more to it than an issue with "oil" on the Gruppem type intakes.

I do not fully understand where "exactly" he suggests drilling this hole......I need a drawing before I start drilling!

Fran

Last edited by fmzip; 04-21-2008 at 12:15 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #323
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

My Ride: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyV View Post
Looks great navin congrats!

What does your VDO oil psi read when you first start the car (and its cold), and then what does it read after a drive whn your oil temp is over 220 (at idle)? i am trying to diagnose an issue i am having with my oil psi gauge and i have the exact setup you have for your 323, the leatherz vdo package.. tia
I'll be happy to find this info out for you, Sammy (will try and do this later on today when I leave work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin325 View Post
Looks great but I wouldn't use the gruppe m intake the filter has a smaller surface area than the stock filter so it is putting more strain on your supercharger.
Thanks! Hmmm, I haven't felt any strain on the supercharger thus far with my intake. I also don't constantly apply the boost (or pushing my car to the max), so I'll be fine.... thanks for your advice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platnumdesi01 View Post
Navin - Whats up bro!! I met you at HIN and you were really informative and you know I will be hitting you up for more advice. Congrats, I didn't know that you had just installed the S/C. Congrats!
What's up bro! Sorry I don't remember who you are exactly (help me out to remember who you were again and what I said to you - I met so many people that night... what an AMAZING time I had there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Some more info from Asbjorn. This is his entire reply on what intake he does suggest to use with the TS.....

I would strongly recommend using the BMW oem intake or bmw performance intake. On the oem one you can simply drill a 1.5" diameter hole behind the headlight and eliminate all pressure drop in this assembly.

So it sounds like there is more to it than an issue with "oil" on the Gruppem type intakes.

I do not fully understand where "exactly" he suggests drilling this hole......I need a drawing before I start drilling!

Fran
Fran, as I mentioned to you before, I already spoke with ESS (I spoke to Hans actually... wasn't able to speak to Asbjorn) and he assured me that I won't cause any damage to the S/C by me using the GruppeM intake. I understand already that they don't recommend the GruppeM or any other intakes with oil-based filters... I was told this was the case because of the risk of damage to the MAF sensor from over-oiling the filter.
By all means, please use whichever intake you prefer... I'm certainly not telling you what to use or not to use, but I've made my decision to use the GruppeM after consulting both ESS and my mechanic (who regularly performs the maintenance on my GruppeM's K&N air filter - so far I've had no issues with oil impacting my MAF sensor) and I intend to stick with my decision.

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 2000 323i

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Navin323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #324
fmzip

Quote:

Fran, as I mentioned to you before, I already spoke with ESS (I spoke to Hans actually... wasn't able to speak to Asbjorn) and he assured me that I won't cause any damage to the S/C by me using the GruppeM intake. I understand already that they don't recommend the GruppeM or any other intakes with oil-based filters... I was told this was the case because of the risk of damage to the MAF sensor from over-oiling the filter.
By all means, please use whichever intake you prefer... I'm certainly not telling you what to use or not to use, but I've made my decision to use the GruppeM after consulting both ESS and my mechanic (who regularly performs the maintenance on my GruppeM's K&N air filter - so far I've had no issues with oil impacting my MAF sensor) and I intend to stick with my decision.
I understand why you chose yours, nor am I intimating that your choice is wrong, to each their own........

This info for others who may be reading this thread that don't have a GruppeM and are trying to decide what to do with their ESS setup.

Drilling a 1.5 inch hole for a little performance boost is useful info.

If anyone chooses to drill their stock box, drill the hole in the lower section of it below the air filter, close to the headlight assembly.

Last edited by fmzip; 04-21-2008 at 01:25 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #325
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
I understand why you chose yours, nor am I intimating that your choice is wrong, to each their own........

This info for others who may be reading this thread that don't have a GruppeM and are trying to decide what to do with their ESS setup.

Drilling a 1.5 inch hole for a little performance boost is useful info.

If anyone chooses to drill their stock box, drill the hole in the lower section of it below the air filter, close to the headlight assembly.

Thanks Fran! I mistook what you wrote and wasn't sure if you were hinting at my choice being wrong... my bad for mistaking you.

I actually was looking at possibly getting the BMW Performance intake but found it's not compatible with the 323's... only the 325's and up I believe. I also recently sold my OEM airbox, otherwise I might have initially considered swapping back to it.

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #326
fmzip

^^^^NP Navin

I am just about done with my install, I am at the point of installing the intake. I'll be stopping by home depot shortly!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #327
Platnumdesi01

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
I was the tall indian guy....I told u that I had just bought a ZHP. I think I asked you about the supercharger and what kind of lip you had.
Platnumdesi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #328
ridin325

My Ride: 2013 911 C2S
You wont be able to feel the strain. It just means the blower has to work a little harder. But it will be fine if you like the way it looks keep it. How are you likeing your twinscrew so far, I wish i would of gotten one.
ridin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #329
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
I have the hole drilled as it is required for the TS3 kit. The Performance BMW intake costs a pretty penny, so AJ said it wasn't worth it and just instructed us to have the airbox drilled.

BTW, what email address are you emailing AJ at? I have sent him a couple of emails, but have yet to hear back from him.

HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #330
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
^^^^NP Navin

I am just about done with my install, I am at the point of installing the intake. I'll be stopping by home depot shortly!
Congrats Fran!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platnumdesi01 View Post
I was the tall indian guy....I told u that I had just bought a ZHP. I think I asked you about the supercharger and what kind of lip you had.
Now I remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin325 View Post
You wont be able to feel the strain. It just means the blower has to work a little harder. But it will be fine if you like the way it looks keep it. How are you likeing your twinscrew so far, I wish i would of gotten one.
That makes sense.

So far I'm loving the twinscrew... I hope to post a good review within the coming weeks after I get my car dyno'ed.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #331
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
I have the hole drilled as it is required for the TS3 kit. The Performance BMW intake costs a pretty penny, so AJ said it wasn't worth it and just instructed us to have the airbox drilled.

BTW, what email address are you emailing AJ at? I have sent him a couple of emails, but have yet to hear back from him.

Hi Brian, I have been on the road for a few days with sporadic internet connection. I answered you email about the anodized PS tank today.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #332
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS View Post
Hi Brian, I have been on the road for a few days with sporadic internet connection. I answered you email about the anodized PS tank today.
Awesome. I got your email. I will be patiently awaiting the parts. Crossing my fingers it gets here before Bimmerfest.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #333
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
I have the hole drilled as it is required for the TS3 kit.
Is this drilled hole also a requirement for TS1? I couldn't tell from the pic, but where exactly is this hole getting drilled?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #334
fmzip

Quote:
Is this drilled hole also a requirement for TS1? I couldn't tell from the pic, but where exactly is this hole getting drilled?
That hole is drilled into the stock airbox, directly behind the headlight....
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #335
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
navin - it has nothing to do with your setup since you have the CAI
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #336
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
navin - it has nothing to do with your setup since you have the CAI
I know, but I was asking in the event I decide in the future to put the OEM airbox back in.

If I were to put the OEM airbox back in, is it mandatory to drill this hold even for TS1 setups or is this something ONLY for TS3 setups?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #337
330i ZHP

I wouldnt worry about it for TS1 - but it cant hurt. You would just need to make certain to be careful with water getting in there.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #338
330i ZHP

have you and your wife rsvp'd yet
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #339
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I wouldnt worry about it for TS1 - but it cant hurt. You would just need to make certain to be careful with water getting in there.
Stuart did you put the hole in yours?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #340
330i ZHP

i didnt know about this hole idea until now - but I will add the hole if it is recommended