E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #341
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

My Ride: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I wouldnt worry about it for TS1 - but it cant hurt. You would just need to make certain to be careful with water getting in there.
If there's any chance of water getting in that hole then I definitely don't want to go that route of cutting a hole.

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 2000 323i

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel

Last edited by Navin323i; 04-22-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Navin323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #342
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
I wouldnt worry about it for TS1 - but it cant hurt. You would just need to make certain to be careful with water getting in there.
Stuart - any chance you'll be home today between 6:45pm-7pm? I have something I want to give you.

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel

Last edited by Navin323i; 04-22-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #343
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
Is this drilled hole also a requirement for TS1? I couldn't tell from the pic, but where exactly is this hole getting drilled?
I would recommend it on the 323 TS2, not required for TS1. The 325/330 box which flows better has virtually no flow restriction up to 300whp.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #344
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS View Post
I would recommend it on the 323 TS2, not required for TS1. The 325/330 box which flows better has virtually no flow restriction up to 300whp.
Thanks Asbjorn!!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #345
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
If there's any chance of water getting in that hole then I definitely don't want to go that route of cutting a hole.
the hole would be drilled in the front of the box - and would be intaking air in the same location your gruppem is - so the hole would be no more likely to take in water than any cai
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #346
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
the hole would be drilled in the front of the box - and would be intaking air in the same location your gruppem is - so the hole would be no more likely to take in water than any cai
Makes sense.

Check your PM, Stu. Sent you one earlier today.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #347
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
If anyone is able to figure out how to get a refund on these customs duties, please be sure to let me know. I'd love to have my $255 back.
Well, I ended up filing a protest through FedEx to get my money back. The process was none too speedy but I just got a fax from them indicating that US Customs has agreed to refund the full 3.7% import duty that they incorrectly assessed me. Hopefully the refund will arrive soon!
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #348
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Well, I ended up filing a protest through FedEx to get my money back. The process was none too speedy but I just got a fax from them indicating that US Customs has agreed to refund the full 3.7% import duty that they incorrectly assessed me. Hopefully the refund will arrive soon!
I was gonna contact you to find out whatever happened with this issue, but glad to hear they're gonna do the right thing and refund you.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #349
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
I did the same thing. Just got notice last week that there will be no charge. I filed it as soon as I got the bill so I never did send them any money. AJ at ESS can tell you what it was supposed to be classified as. It is a long slow process but doesn't require much legwork on your part so it is worth it to get your money back.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #350
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
I did the same thing. Just got notice last week that there will be no charge. I filed it as soon as I got the bill so I never did send them any money. AJ at ESS can tell you what it was supposed to be classified as. It is a long slow process but doesn't require much legwork on your part so it is worth it to get your money back.
The sad thing about this whole situation is that Hans listed the CORRECT code and description from the Harmonized Tarrif Schedule on the original invoice when he shipped the kit. There should have been no confusion. For whatever reason though, someone in customs decided a higher rate was appropriate.

EDIT: Derek, did FedEx try to charge you $75 to resolve this for you? I managed to get them to waive that fee as well.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 06-10-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #351
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Yeah, I mentioned the same thing quite a while back in terms of the import tax no longer being charged (see Post #131 - this error in the classification of the S/C by U.S. customs was actually straightened out in the process of shipping out my S/C) so most people here should be aware of this now.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #352
elite53

Quote:
The sad thing about this whole situation is that Hans listed the CORRECT code and description from the Harmonized Tarrif Schedule on the original invoice when he shipped the kit. There should have been no confusion. For whatever reason though, someone in customs decided a higher rate was appropriate.

EDIT: Derek, did FedEx try to charge you $75 to resolve this for you? I managed to get them to waive that fee as well.
Nope... But I did file as soon as the bill came. It sounded like you payed it then filed so maybe that is why they were trying to sqeeze some money out of you?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #353
elite53

ESS put the correct code on my invoice also. This was difinately a customs screw up not an ESS one. ESS was very helpful in getting this resolved.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #354
Lay2Low

My Ride: Psshht Widebody; M3
Send a message via AIM to Lay2Low
Congratulations again on the TS!! I really love what you have done to the car, and you are a very deserving person! All the best!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #355
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Yeah, I mentioned the same thing quite a while back in terms of the import tax no longer being charged (see Post #131 - this error in the classification of the S/C by U.S. customs was actually straightened out in the process of shipping out my S/C) so most people here should be aware of this now.
I wonder if this also applies to SC upgrade parts like the TS1 to TS2 upgrade. What form did you ask FedEx for exactly?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #356
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay2Low View Post
Congratulations again on the TS!! I really love what you have done to the car, and you are a very deserving person! All the best!
Thank you so much!!! All the best to you too, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
I wonder if this also applies to SC upgrade parts like the TS1 to TS2 upgrade. What form did you ask FedEx for exactly?
I didn't ask FedEx for any form. This whole thing was straightened out with my TS1 order therefore it was as simple as ESS shipping out my S/C and my bodyshop here in the U.S. receiving it, although FedEx did contact me just to validate the address of the bodyshop, that's all.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #357
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
navin, i haven't seen anything yet but i might have missed it. have you got your car back on the dyno yet?

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #358
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46sixspdZHP View Post
navin, i haven't seen anything yet but i might have missed it. have you got your car back on the dyno yet?
What's up Justin... not yet, bro. I've been real busy since the car show season started back up... I'll let you know once I've gotten it done.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #359
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Fellas... It looks like FedEx actually DID charge me a Customs Duty fee of $25 plus an extra "$5 Advancement fee" whatever the hell that means. I'm gonna contact them shortly because the FedEx agent that initially spoke to me back in April assured me that no fees were charged to me at that time.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #360
TxZHP04

Quote:
Hey Fellas... It looks like FedEx actually DID charge me a Customs Duty fee of $25 plus an extra "$5 Advancement fee" whatever the hell that means. I'm gonna contact them shortly because the FedEx agent that initially spoke to me back in April assured me that no fees were charged to me at that time.
I believe the $25 fee is for FedEx's effort to bring the package through customs for you (ie, serving as your customs broker), not an actual import tariff. Even after my ~ $225 refund of import duties, I still paid FedEx the same $25 fee as you... although I didn't get charged the $5 advancement fee. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the $25 is a legitimate fee.