E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #41
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
I'm still not certain I'll be charged the import tax... Asbjorn was under the impression that these supercharger systems should not be charged any import tax and that certain states in the U.S. probably charge the import tax... I know that's the case with Texas and Virginia (i.e. where Darren and Stuart are/were residing when they purchased their superchargers (Stuart is in MD now)), but I'm not sure about Maryland, though I'll find out soon enough!
After looking over my invoice from FedEx, the import duty assessed on my kit was imposed by US Customs and had nothing to do with my being in Texas. In researching this subject a bit, I did find a reference on the CBP web site admitting that they may not always be consistent with their classification of goods for tax purposes and this is most likely the reason Stuart and I (and perhaps others) were taxed while others may not have been.

In my case, they classified the kit under section 8414.80.9000 of the 2008 Harmonized Tax Schedule which sets the duty at 3.7%. It seems that ESS may be expecting it to fall under 8414.80.0500 which would indeed be free. Looking over the tax schedule I am of the same opinion as ESS but it would appear that not all custom's agents view this the same way.

Makes me wonder if there is a way to protest the classification and get a refund (3.7% of a TS is substantial cash). I also wonder if this might not be something better off left unquestioned. I'll try to look into this more over the weekend if I have time.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 03-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #42
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
See Georges epic thread. The work is completely not worth it unless you plan to run the S54 on a standalone system and have some way of sorting the gauges (or will just buy new ones).

An E36 M3 motor would be easier because the standalone systems are more plentyful for it, but it would still be a pain.
ahhh... as i mentioned, i really had no grounds to speak from but rather thought "why not"

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #43
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

My Ride: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
After looking over my invoice from FedEx, the import duty assessed on my kit was imposed by US Customs and had nothing to do with my being in Texas. In researching this subject a bit, I did find a reference on the CBP web site admitting that they may not always be consistent with their classification of goods for tax purposes and this is most likely the reason Stuart and I (and perhaps others) were taxed while others may not have been.

In my case, they classified the kit under section 8414.80.9000 of the 2008 Harmonized Tax Schedule which sets the duty at 3.7%. It seems that ESS may be expecting it to fall under 8414.80.0500 which would indeed be free. Looking over the tax schedule I am of the same opinion as ESS but it would appear that not all custom's agents view this the same way.

Makes me wonder if there is a way to protest the classification and get a refund (3.7% of a TS is substantial cash). I also wonder if this might not be something better off left unquestioned. I'll try to look into this more over the weekend if I have time.
Wow! Good info to know. Thanks for sharing this. I too wonder if it's better off left unquestioned... who's to say that the customs agents, if questioned, decide to change the classification of my shipment to the section 8414.80.9000, thereby making me have to pay the tax.

I wonder who I could contact... let me know what you find out Darren.

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 2000 323i

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Navin323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #44
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
badass move navin... out of curiosity, why didn't you consider switching over to an e46 m3 motor? Wouldn't the price have been similar and the gains significantly greater?

Don't flame me cause I might be way off on this one but just a thought...

other than that, great mod man... you have to giv eme a ride after getting it
For my own convenience and peace of mind, I'd rather go with a mod designed for my 323i, than go through the extra hassle of trying to get an E46 M3 motor configured to work properly with my 323i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
My name is Brian. I should change my sn to slowest330.

You should not be charged any import tax as I did not, but maybe because I live in California.

I think I will include this in my final review of the TS3. However, I'll post it here to get it out of the way and make things faster for you.

The FedEx agent will not help you much. They will just say please fill this out and if you questions just contact them. So with that said...

With the link I posted for you, you will need to fill out these fields:

2B. Social Security Number
3. Import Name
6. Check the Individual box
7. Importer Mailing Address
8. City
9. State Code should really mean State initials
10. Zip
12-14. Copy the same data you had in fields 8-10, respectively
18. Printed or Typed Name and Title
19. Telephone Number Including Area Code
20. Signature
21. Date

The other fields you will be allowed to leave blank.

Then you can scan the file and then place it into a PDF and send it back to them via email. Wait about 30 minutes and then call them to confirm that they have received it and you are all set. Then wait your sleepless nights as it arrives to your house.
Great to meet you, Brian! Ugh! Is there any way I can avoid having to put my Social Security Number on the form... why should they need that? I'm having the supercharger shipped directly to my mechanic's shop... my name and phone number will still be on the form. Also I don't have access to a scanner so I'd rather fax it back to them.

When I chatted with Stuart, he was never contacted by FedEx initially to fill out any forms... he was just sent a bill from FedEx asking him to pay the tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianjedi View Post
Uh...I am a little offended here. One would think that after my constant pleading, badgering and threats of violence urging you to get a power adder before another cosmetic mod would have earned me a mention in the original post.

I should have least gotta a ..but oh no I gets nada...........

LOL...just kidding Navin. Congrats bro. I say we do another run to the OC show like last year with me, you, Freddy, Stuart, and Ahmad.

HMMM...might Freddy now be the slowest in the group?
Here you go, bro...

I definitely must thank you too, Scott. I really appreciate all the encouragement you gave me in doing more engine mods.

Freddy won't be the slowest... I'm sure it will still be me... I'll gladly take the rear of the caravan and make sure you fellas stay out of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65 View Post
navin congrats you have to post some vids and you oppion on the ts1. I know I wanted to go ts2 but I cant get anuff money together so Im going to go AA
Thanks bro! Yeah, I'll definitely most up a good review of the TS1.

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #45
323power

My Ride: '11 335i
niiicceeee navin....323powwaaaarr

I'm hoping to be force fed soon

323power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #46
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

navin, what kind of hp you expecting to get out of your 323 after this mod? Any idea what your 0-60 would be?

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #47
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
navin, what kind of hp you expecting to get out of your 323 after this mod? Any idea what your 0-60 would be?
Check the site... http://www.esstuning.com for the 0-60 times.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the hp numbers would be in the 280hp range.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #48
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
congtr. on the blower navin also

i lov your engine covers to .. i hear that the twin screw s/c give out more power... injoy it c/f bro..... i guess your next perf mod if you go that way will be headers or a light weight fly wheel..... but tell me what is your ride pushing h/p wise with the blower in your ride now.....can't wait to see her in person navin... and you will have to give me a ride in your beast this summer....
bob
Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #49
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323power View Post
niiicceeee navin....323powwaaaarr

I'm hoping to be force fed soon
Force fed 323i/ci FTMFW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm3 View Post
i lov your engine covers to .. i hear that the twin screw s/c give out more power... injoy it c/f bro..... i guess your next perf mod if you go that way will be headers or a light weight fly wheel..... but tell me what is your ride pushing h/p wise with the blower in your ride now.....can't wait to see her in person navin... and you will have to give me a ride in your beast this summer....
bob
Thanks Bob! I don't have the supercharger installed in my car yet... I just ordered it a couple of days ago. I don't plan on spending anymore money on headers, etc. until I payoff my expenses with the supercharger purchase (and even at that time I don't think I'll spend anymore on engine mods).

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #50
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
Agh! Jealousy! Cannot hold back the jealousy! That's awesome dude! I'll definitely need to take a ride once its all installed. And I'm pretty sure the only supercharger I'd ever put in my car is a twin screw. The idea of such a flat power/torque curve is so appealing to me. No gathering power. Its just there.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #51
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

so you will easily outrun every e46 but an m3 right? Like you will smoke a manual 330zhp?

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #52
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Agh! Jealousy! Cannot hold back the jealousy! That's awesome dude! I'll definitely need to take a ride once its all installed. And I'm pretty sure the only supercharger I'd ever put in my car is a twin screw. The idea of such a flat power/torque curve is so appealing to me. No gathering power. Its just there.
Thanks Jared! I just responded to your posting on the EW website before seeing your post here... congrats on your new hood!! Can't wait to see it on your car.

Quote:
so you will easily outrun every e46 but an m3 right? Like you will smoke a manual 330zhp?
Technically yes... however the assumption is that those non-M cars would have to be not supercharged... if they're supercharged then they'll easily outrun me.

But I'll be the gentleman... if someone is aching to overtake me I'll let them pass me.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #53
russm73

My Ride: 2000 323i
Nice man, way to rep the 323s. Ur my 323 idol lol
Staggered ASA AR1's| Brembo sport drilled rotors| Hawk Hps pads| Stromung exhaust, resonator delete| ECIS Intake| Depo P46's| MyCARR angel eyes| Smoked corner lights| Clear side/ rear lights| 5 % tint all around| CF door pillars| CF trunk lip| M3 bumper| Strass lip| H&R Cupkit|
russm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #54
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by russm73 View Post
Nice man, way to rep the 323s. Ur my 323 idol lol
Thanks Russ!! I'm honored to rep us 323i/ci owners.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #55
tas

My Ride: Y2K AA SC 323i
Congrats Navin. Can't wait to see it bro.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #56
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I went to the FedEx international depot and picked up my kit directly instead of having it delivered - then FedEx sent me a bill for $172 in customs fees

Navin - i will always race you - and as Scott has told me - I have big balls and will outrun you one way or another...lol

I am getting close to joining Brian - waiting to talk more with Aj and possibly Walter out in CA. I want 400+rwhp
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #57
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I went to the FedEx international depot and picked up my kit directly instead of having it delivered - then FedEx sent me a bill for $172 in customs fees
There's no consistency with this customs stuff whatsoever. Your $172 was cheaper than my $255! Did FedEx happen to list the tax rate and/or the section number out of the HTS that determines the tax rate on your invoice (for me, it was 8414.80.9000 @ 3.7%)? I'm starting to get curious about this now.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #58
330i ZHP

i dont remember and i have since thrown away the forms
Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #59
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post

Navin - i will always race you - and as Scott has told me - I have big balls and will outrun you one way or another...lol

I am getting close to joining Brian - waiting to talk more with Aj and possibly Walter out in CA. I want 400+rwhp
Stuart needs an OFFICIAL thread also when his upgrade kit ships.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #60
330i ZHP

nah - because I dont know how much time I will have before the wedding and the shows I am committed to - to do the install

Hey Brian - which clutch did you go with? Do you have clutch chatter or other noises? Any noises other than the TS whine? Have you had any oil consumption?

What can I do to prevent the bolt issue you and Walter experienced?