E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
silentak1
Banned

My Ride: '03 330ci cabrio
Convertible Top Reset or Resynchonization?

I've noticed that my top is closing too fast and as a result, it makes a "thump" sound when the top becoming parallel to the floor (It's about after 2-3 seconds after it comes out of storage).

Does anyone know a possible solution to fixing this issue?

People have told me that I should reset the closing sequence, but I'm not sure what the procedure could entail. Anyone care to lighten me?
silentak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Philbert

My Ride: 02M3|80 280ZX|87Yota
for a good Q!

You mean to "hyperextends" - gets too flat too soon and the motor keeps trying to extend/flatten it when it's already flat?

Was there any "trauma" to the top prior to this issue?

Dinan S. | Clears | DiCE | OEM Alarm Retrofit | ACS Rep. Peds | DDEs

My Valentine 1 Hardwire | Remote Display Gauge Cluster Mod

Considering selling 2002 M3 Convertible (~38,000 miles) this year (don't drive it enough...). If seriously interested, PM me. SF Bay area.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
silentak1
Banned

I suppose I could call it "hyper extends". The top "slams" when it becomes parallel to the floor, almost as if its closing way too fast.

There was less noticeable "trauma" prior to this. Are you or did you experience this?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Philbert

My Ride: 02M3|80 280ZX|87Yota
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentak1 View Post
I suppose I could call it "hyper extends". The top "slams" when it becomes parallel to the floor, almost as if its closing way too fast.

There was less noticeable "trauma" prior to this. Are you or did you experience this?
Didn't experience it (yet - knock on wood!). the "trauma" i asked about was to see if maybe the top had hit something or was affected by a person or a jamb in the past...which may have lead to your current trouble

Hope it works out soon and cheap for you- keep us posted!

Dinan S. | Clears | DiCE | OEM Alarm Retrofit | ACS Rep. Peds | DDEs

My Valentine 1 Hardwire | Remote Display Gauge Cluster Mod

Considering selling 2002 M3 Convertible (~38,000 miles) this year (don't drive it enough...). If seriously interested, PM me. SF Bay area.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
I can understand what you're talking about as the top opens and gets perpendicular, then gravity typically takes it down within about 6 inches of the windshield. That's where you're saying it doesn't stop like it's supposed to as if the hydraulics (?) were already extended to the open position. Have you stopped the opening process midway and surveyed all the linkage inside the roof compartment? Please post any progress you make with this issue.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
silentak1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrog330 View Post
I can understand what you're talking about as the top opens and gets perpendicular, then gravity typically takes it down within about 6 inches of the windshield. That's where you're saying it doesn't stop like it's supposed to as if the hydraulics (?) were already extended to the open position. Have you stopped the opening process midway and surveyed all the linkage inside the roof compartment? Please post any progress you make with this issue.
It does happen when i'm opening the top, but it's very noticeable when it's closing. The only way to (manually) make it close smoother is by releasing the "close" button when its coming down, and then simply letting the top "slide" to parallel position to the ground. I will look carefully into the components today and repost.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
BavLar

I'll whip open the Bentley Pubs repair guide and see what all is involved. Spring is the wrong time of year to have a problem with the lid.

By the way, since we're talking about convertible's, I wouldn't mess around with the open/close buttons too much. I did that and wound up with a $250 shorted out wire.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
BavLar

Look up the following items and see if they might be related to your issue:
1. Tension Bow Angle Hall Sensor
2. Main Pillar Hall Sensor
Also, it mentions fault codes which are stored in the Convertible Top Module (CVM II). Up to 16 codes can be stored in memory by order of occurance. Whatever happened to cause your issue probably triggered a code which can be read with BMW diagnostic scan tools DIS or MoDiC (of course we all have a couple of MoDiC's around the garage!).

Good luck...and keep your head down!