E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2003, 10:52 PM   #21
BobbyBimmer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Bigxl31----------Open mouth insert foot
BobbyBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:55 PM   #22
bigxl31
Banned

My Ride: 02 330 CI Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to bigxl31 Send a message via AIM to bigxl31
Thumbs Up YA !

it takes a bigger man to say he is sorry , i did that ok ... what else do you guys want ?
bigxl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:57 PM   #23
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Re: Sad sad sad

See my post above,

You could say the same thing about Vince as you see from my previous post. Nobody stole anything, MITE implemented his project completely different than Vince. Even if MITE's project came out exactly like Vince's, MITE still put in his own effort to do it. It's not like he reverse engineered Vince's project. Get real.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigxl31
I have reason to believe that you stole the ideas and time that vince managed to work hard for. I just don't get it ... I just bought the kit from him and I am very happy with it honestly. I am not trying to Rip on you nor am I jealous in any way, because I it does not matter to me, but when you steal credit from someone else, that's kinda childish, I know your the big shot from MIT. I know.

sad state my friend ...
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:59 PM   #24
bigxl31
Banned

Thumbs Up

i just backed you up on it , i Said i was sorry ... what the hell do you want from me , i written apology ...... i dont get it ... SAID SORRY ... I cant make mistakes on this board , i have a newbie trying to clown on me ......... come on 14 posts ,
Old 01-18-2003, 11:02 PM   #25
bigxl31
Banned

Thumbs Up

welp i am donw with ripping on eachother , we are here for What ... OH YA FUN ! FUN FUN ! ............. enough said Rip on me if you want it does not matter !

to all once again I am sorry and have a great weekend !
-mike
Old 01-18-2003, 11:04 PM   #26
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

LOL, I didn't see you were posting while I was.

No need to appologize, just correcting you. Hell I have the infamous "B" after my mistakes all the time or catching my incomprehensable posts that I sneak in while I'm working.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigxl31
i just backed you up on it , i Said i was sorry ... what the hell do you want from me , i written apology ...... i dont get it ... SAID SORRY ... I cant make mistakes on this board , i have a newbie trying to clown on me ......... come on 14 posts ,
Old 01-18-2003, 11:09 PM   #27
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
Hey guys,

bigxl31: im trying to inform you guys, never stole credit from him...Him and the japanese dude are both cited in the previous work section =) apology accepted =)

Yellowmann: January is our month off...so thats why I have all this time to write about the projects I've done in the past. I am trying to get my car computer registered as a LAB requirement, but other than that, no credit

Atlas: Yup just run two wires down from the wheel to the shifter. You're gonna want to get a new column switch though...again its detailed in there =)

vinnymac: I also think VinceTopazBlau325i is good person to do business with. A long time ago he actually provided me with an ETK CD that I used to find the part number for the steering switch, without it I would never have found it. If you don't want trouble of DIY, I recommend his kit!

Everyone else: Thanks for the props! it's the best form of motivation!
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:14 PM   #28
T-Man

My Ride: E46 M3
Re: How to build your own paddleshift kit....and bunch of step details...

Hey MITE46 i just wanted to say, great write up! Kudos for you for not trying to make a few $$$ off fellow bmw enthusiasts!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:20 PM   #29
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

You didn't say however which two wires and exactly how they are wired.

I looked at your pic and the ETK, what exactly is the steering column switch? The ETK picture looks like the entire center piece of the steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally posted by MITE46
Hey guys,

bigxl31: im trying to inform you guys, never stole credit from him...Him and the japanese dude are both cited in the previous work section =) apology accepted =)

Yellowmann: January is our month off...so thats why I have all this time to write about the projects I've done in the past. I am trying to get my car computer registered as a LAB requirement, but other than that, no credit

Atlas: Yup just run two wires down from the wheel to the shifter. You're gonna want to get a new column switch though...again its detailed in there =)

vinnymac: I also think VinceTopazBlau325i is good person to do business with. A long time ago he actually provided me with an ETK CD that I used to find the part number for the steering switch, without it I would never have found it. If you don't want trouble of DIY, I recommend his kit!

Everyone else: Thanks for the props! it's the best form of motivation!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #30
MITE46

T-Man,

I actually think its is perfectly fine to make some $$ off of a project. There is a good amount of effort that was placed in this project by myself and others. It is just that I don't have time to make kits and do not want the responsibility of a product. My site is really like some information that I discovered and thought was cool. I want to share thats why I am posting, do whatever you want with it and let me know if you find out something new.....its like research to me...=)
Old 01-18-2003, 11:25 PM   #31
MITE46

KevinJ_2k1_325ci,

Sorry I didn't make it more clear. The center colum switch is that round piece that provides the connectors for devices on the steering wheel. (IE airbag signals, horn, steering controls) On my car there wasn't a insert for the paddles because I don't own a SMGII M3. You need the column switch from the SMGII M3 so that it provides leads into the steering column. The connector that comes with the M3 wheel has a 2 pin adapter that plugs in directly to this column switch. From the other side of the column switch that is in the steering column, you need to make two wires that go down however which way you would like to the shifter. I tried to be as descriptive as possible, let me know if you need more help!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:33 PM   #32
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Oh ok I got it. but...

Where do the wires go from there? Do you tap into the shifter wires and is it a matter of just playing with them to figure which one is left and right. I guess is it self explanatory if I pull it apart, like, there is only one set of 4 pin wires and that must be the one to tap into?

I guess I have the answer from your website then it would be:
"purple=upshift" and "blue=downshift". Although I have a 325 and I don't know if they changed the wiring. I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally posted by MITE46
KevinJ_2k1_325ci,

Sorry I didn't make it more clear. The center colum switch is that round piece that provides the connectors for devices on the steering wheel. (IE airbag signals, horn, steering controls) On my car there wasn't a insert for the paddles because I don't own a SMGII M3. You need the column switch from the SMGII M3 so that it provides leads into the steering column. The connector that comes with the M3 wheel has a 2 pin adapter that plugs in directly to this column switch. From the other side of the column switch that is in the steering column, you need to make two wires that go down however which way you would like to the shifter. I tried to be as descriptive as possible, let me know if you need more help!

Last edited by KevinJ_2k1_325ci; 01-18-2003 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #33
MITE46

Kev,

Mine is actually exposed right now, I am a ghettoo modder...I have it just tapped to the trim hehe...I plan to have routed behind everything, cosmetics wasn't a priority....I figure I will work it around the back through the radio area and go from there...

good question on the cable, im not sure if it varies from car to car...I have a sample space of just my car so..yeah...mine was 4 pin. It was obvious for me which connector it was because it went directly into the shifter....it had black and red plastic connectors....I think i mentioned that on the page...best to probe them yourself and individually ground wires to see if the gear changes...lmk if u need more help or pictures!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:46 AM   #34
md330

My Ride: 330Ci
MITE46, first off, job well done. Your drive down Memorial Drive should be more interesting now that you can play with the paddles.

A suggestion though, your write up might be a little technical for all those econ and bio majors, namely me. Do you think you can put it in the "Step 1, take this out, [photo] . . .etc " format? I just want some detailed steps on what to do after I order my SMG wheels and the column switch. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:12 AM   #35
dennisf

My Ride: BMW 330Cic
Very good write-up.. Although I have a manual transmission I found it very interesting to read.

I think it's very nice to share it with your fellow fanatics
Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 AM   #36
Krix330cic(NJ)
Still around...

My Ride: SOLD - Aug. 2004
Send a message via AIM to Krix330cic(NJ)
MITE46

awesome!

dont worrie bro, your not taking anything away from vince's product. All you did was find the easier cheaper way to do it.. thats what this place is about right, SHARING INFO?

its easy for others to hate on you for finding out how easy this is to do, most likely 'cause they dropped $400 on a kit!

i dont have to write a disclaimer here for my opinion above, so everyone can take it as they may
Old 01-19-2003, 11:44 AM   #37
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
i gotta admit i'd never figure out how to do that. i guess that's why you go to mit..
Old 01-19-2003, 12:23 PM   #38
Hartge330Ci

My Ride: Depends on the day..
Send a message via AIM to Hartge330Ci
Re: Re: Sad sad sad

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnbound

Don't you think that's kind of jumping down his throat a bit? Not to take anything away from Vince, because I hear nothing but good stuff about him and his product, but just because he was the first to do this in the right way, doesn't mean that he would/should be the only. If that was the case, we'd all be driving Fords right now.

Fundamentally, it's a modification, albeit a rather complex/sophisticated one. Vince has turned his DIY solution into a business venture; that definitely is not going to stop anyone else from doing their own experiments. So, to say that someone "stole" anything is rather judgemental. Does that mean if someone that installed the Push Button Starter button started selling a "kit" that included the button, a cheap rotary tool, etc., that anyone else doing the same thing on their own would be thief? How about any of these non-OEM vendors that sell clears? BMW (or the company that they contract for lights) obviously originated the design for the lenses. So, does that mean that all of the 3rd party companies are stealing?
Actually we would all be driving Mercedes. Funny how Americans seem to think Henry Ford built the first car.
Hartge330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:07 PM   #39
Banana_Bread

My Ride: 323Ci
Just finished reading your awesome writeup, although i can't use it (5speed) i really really enjoyed it. Pretty smart what you did there, good work
Banana_Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:19 PM   #40
dennisf

My Ride: BMW 330Cic
Re: Re: Re: Sad sad sad

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartge330Ci

Actually we would all be driving Mercedes. Funny how Americans seem to think Henry Ford built the first car.
As an european member of this board... hehehe

"Putting on my flame-suit "