E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #41
sigity
blackonblack

My Ride: 2002 xI
MIT...

Great write up. I have been reading all of your posts about trying to get more info about the system and stuff. I am glad you stuck with it and figured it out.

I would love if you wrote up a DIY. I know that is asking a lot since you have already done so much. But I am nowhere near as technically inclined as many of the members on this board, and would love to be able to see a step by step process.

Thanks again and great work.

sig.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #42
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Proof positive that MIT46 was correct

You don't need to have a external control chip to do paddle-shifting. I found this information from BMW's technical manual. I'm sure if Mr. original paddleshift knew this information I would hope he wouldn't sell kits for $800. Below is the BMW switch grid for the step tranny control. So my assumption was corrected when mr original paddle shift first came out with his kits that shifting is controlled by the tranny and not by the switch, also MITE46 is correct and the finder of information and implementer that you don't need a circuit board to do paddle shifting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trannygate.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	38436  
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:35 PM   #43
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
if I remember correctly, you had some issues with Vince and there were words said on this very board.

Perhaps you're posting this to help others, but I think you might have some alterior motive to get at Vince because of the past issues...
Old 02-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #44
carguy84
Banned

My Ride: 330i
carguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:03 PM   #45
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Oh no, B is back.

If you recall from this thread I defended Vince. There were words said in private and all coming from Vince which I felt there was no reason for as I simply wanted to know the outcome of something we discussed on many occasions so I could order parts and my beginning research of the Z4 button retro-fit. I felt the brunt of things as a result of this post which I felt were unjustified. So what..... I sent 3 or 4 PM's when i didn't know someone was out of town following up on some things.

The information I posted here was for informational purposes for this community. As there were words and a small exchange on another board, I indicated at that time I would no longer defend his position and HOPE excessive profit wasn't taken under false pretense that additional functionality was needed although there seems to be nothing to suggest it. I said the same thing about Jim Conforti in a thread about decompiling Jim Conforti's software if I had a hint that there was something foul (edit.there is absolutely no reason to suggest Jim's software is foul and shouldn't be taken in that context, nor would I decompile Jim's software). However, I do agree that the services Vince provides and the plug-N-play solution warant compensation but I am no ones judge and jury and this is just MY opinion.

But let's get one thing straight, I'm not a self proclaimed moderator, just a fanatic like everyone else seeking and sharing information. Other's just chose not to do so and I chose to share.

Quote:
Originally posted by B
if I remember correctly, you had some issues with Vince and there were words said on this very board.

Perhaps you're posting this to help others, but I think you might have some alterior motive to get at Vince because of the past issues...

Last edited by KevinJ_2k1_325ci; 02-13-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #46
Cuore_alfa
alfisti & bimmer fan

My Ride: 01 Toyota Corolla CE
Send a message via MSN to Cuore_alfa
got milk?

8C Competizione
Cuore_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:15 PM   #47
Wolfcastle

My Ride: compact import
what's up with the step-by-step diy? and the drama?
Wolfcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:26 PM   #48
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Dude, this is back from the grave

The deal is Mr. Paddleshift (supposed originator of the retro-fit paddle-shift idea...see my note at the end) feels like he got burned by helping MITE46 with information about paddle shifting. Then insert me asking questions on another topic and Mr. Paddleshift took it out on me. The truth is, he helped MITE46 get started but MITE46 figured things out on his own. Along the way I started researching paddle-shifting also because I refused to believe that paddle-shifting needed a complete circuit table to be able to go through the same shifts patterns which are being done through the steptronic and it should already be a function of the steptronic tranny control. Then MITE46 came out with his circuit board and along the way figured out that he didn't need one and around the same time I uncovered information from BMW which confirmed MITE46's findings and posted them here. During this, Mr. Paddleshift decided to flame me on another board and the novelty of paddle-shifting was gone and Mr. Paddle-shift wasn't the only game in town and the kicker was the other game was FREE.

Like I said before, Mr. Paddleshift does what he does and thought something worked one way and refused to believe anyone else and stopped being an enthusiast and starting being just a sponsor (in my opinion). The truth is that there is more work that is put into a PS2 or Xbox mod chip than the paddleshift mod at less than 1/3 of the cost of the paddle shift. But you can do this if your the only one actively supporting a mod and the original...ooops forgot Mr. Paddleshift is not the original paddle-shift, the publicly known idea originated in Japan and I posted the information here on e46fanatics about that since the Japanese dude implemented before there was any mention of paddleshifting anywhere else on the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcastle
what's up with the step-by-step diy? and the drama?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #49
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
glad ya cleared things up...he only advice he ever gave us was...buy the kit, you will get pointers...but you must admit...from what we heard from other members his kit is a great solution for non-DIYers...
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #50
Wolfcastle

My Ride: compact import
Yeah, Mr. Hyde and Micro64 here and another guy on Bimmerforums have been posting their own DIYs sharing the information for FREE. What a novel concept.
Wolfcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #51
1st_ID_Vet

My Ride: 2004 325XI
Ok. I am sorry people; but I have to ask a logical question. REGARDLESS of who did what the link for the DIY is not correct/down; whether this was intentional or accidental; would someone please let me know if you have the procedure and pics of how to do this. I applaud the work put into a clear DIY with pics.....whoever did/does it.

1st_ID_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #52
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
sorry to burst your bubble but the paddle shift diy was taken down from this site, look on other forums i think you might find it or do what i did and compile bits and pieces of info from this site which is what i did and manage to figure out the wiring on my own....
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #53
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
It is not just the DIY: MITE46's site seems to be down (e46.mit.edu). He had a blog on his S54 transplant into a E30.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #54
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
the idea of the free online forum DIY was born from this very thread!
MITE46 is a legend!

Last I heard he moved back to Cali got a 6 figure job and bought big house in the valley and copped an 2009 X5, an E92, a Z4M, and a 2010 X6M or something.

Mr Paddleshift is an idiot for trying to make coin off an idea that should've been simply shared for free.

MITE46 who shared everything with us for free is now living very well off and Mr. Paddleshift is still living in his parent's basement and still hustling teenagers and noobs for Paypal coin.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 08-24-2010 at 01:22 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #55
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
^ couldnt have said it better myself.

and yes mite46s site has been down for quite a while now at least 2 months last time i checked, i dont think he has use for this forum anymore i mean he went to mit and caltech, teh diys are pretty useless to him, wish he could get his site up again though there was alot of info on there
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote