E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
j0nblayz

My Ride: 2003 M3 Cabrio
Chromiums or Orions

Got the approval from the wife, i can buy a set of angel eyes.. At the rate i'm going i should be able to buy one item per week.. heh..

anyways, im having a hard time deciding on chromiums or orion's, i like the chromium for the solid light look, but also love the orions since they dont require ballasts and also very low fail rate. I heard that looking at the orion light in person is much different then the posted pics. I just need some peoples opinions with orions, how do they look? do you like them more then the chromiums? should i buy chromiums for now and wait til the orion v2 comes out?? i just feel like the orion's dont have enough led's in between.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
initialandrew

My Ride: BMW 330i ZHP w/ Navi
I would like to see people's responses to this...my angel eyes have been acting up lately and I'm thinking of going to Orions too
initialandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
jsonli

My Ride: 04 330ci TiAg
in cold weather i hear the chromiums fail a lot. this is what the local ppl say. so you might be better off with orions.
jsonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I got Orions because my car is mainly my winter car/second car in the summer. The LED's definitely look different in person than in pictures - they look great ay night, and during the day from a few feet away they do not look like individual LED point lights to the untrained eye. The low failure rate and cold start performance are definitely large pluses in my book.
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
its all about LED's now boys......... roll with the times

i'll be getting them once they come out for facelift coupes

keep in mind how sick the audi s5's look..........
Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Nemesis330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci & X5 3.0D
Orions. Topic end.

I was withholding the purchase of Chromiums because I cannot imagine how pissed I would be if I would start my car in the morning and ride around with 3 or less Angel Eyes burning.

Orions are also brighter in the daytime.

Official Vredestein Press image showing propper tire mounting.
Nemesis330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
j0nblayz

orions it is then.. next question, khoatly or umnitza's?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Nemesis330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci & X5 3.0D
The Umnitza ones are supposed to be a better version of the MYCARR ones, which are a copy of the Umnitza.

The Umnitza ones have this little chrome strip on the back, which is supposed to make them shine "cleaner". Never seen them side by side fired up so I dunno.

Official Vredestein Press image showing propper tire mounting.
Nemesis330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
versace7866
Banned

My Ride: 05 Jet Black M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis330Ci View Post
The Umnitza ones are supposed to be a better version of the MYCARR ones, which are a copy of the Umnitza.

The Umnitza ones have this little chrome strip on the back, which is supposed to make them shine "cleaner". Never seen them side by side fired up so I dunno.
LOL@Umnitza's marketing.
They are the SAME products. They are not COPY. In fact, MYCARR are the ORIGINAL products and Umnitza's are the REBRANDED ones.

Chrome backing on an directal LED?
pointless and it wouldn't make a difference if there was backing or not..
The point is that its on a circuit board, there is no bleeding, or shine cleaner.
Its all a bunch of BS.
versace7866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
BoxCarRacer

My Ride: E46 & E70
Tough choice; I have the original predator chromium's and they have never failed on me. I like the PCs because of the OEM style ring, and I like how the light is distributed evenly and fills up the whole ring opposed to the gap produced by the orions, but the fact that the orions emit a brighter light makes me want to buy an upgrade kit at the same time.
I say buy the orions and just pick up a used set of four PCs rings from the sales section on the forum or from Bimmian "clearance section".
BoxCarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
beamin6

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Send a message via AIM to beamin6
i bought the chromiums like the day the orions were released and i am stoked to get them ....still waiting for them unfortunatly. i hope they hold up to central IL cold ass weather. yea its april and its still like 37 degrees but what can you do
beamin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
lennon31987

My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
Quote:
Originally Posted by versace7866 View Post
LOL@Umnitza's marketing.
They are the SAME products. They are not COPY. In fact, MYCARR are the ORIGINAL products and Umnitza's are the REBRANDED ones.

The point is that its on a circuit board, there is no bleeding, or shine cleaner.
Its all a bunch of BS.
YES ABSOLUTELY all bs, i would love to know how much umnitza made off each set of chromiums especially now and with the low price of orions..

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN

seeking detailing perfection?
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
We should do a group buy with EAS for the LED mycarr kit.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
personally think Chrome looks better but since it has lots of problem I would go with LEDs.

Maybe later more LEDs per ring will come out..
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyjuice5051 View Post
We should do a group buy with EAS for the LED mycarr kit.
We can make this happen.

In the meantime, a FAQ has been created in order to inform everyone of the CCFL and LED Angel Eye kits at this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=564135
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
j0nblayz

tom, what kinda group buy can we setup?? and how many people are required, and the prices, i was just gonna order a set and i saw that you are ok with a group buy. Please let us know so we can get it rolling..
Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #17
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis330Ci View Post

They are a better version. They are better quality. Don't believe the constant bad mouthing and innuendo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nblayz View Post
orions it is then.. next question, khoatly or umnitza's?
We originated them, so I'd vote for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by athayer187 View Post
I got Orions because my car is mainly my winter car/second car in the summer. The LED's definitely look different in person than in pictures - they look great ay night, and during the day from a few feet away they do not look like individual LED point lights to the untrained eye. The low failure rate and cold start performance are definitely large pluses in my book.

Quote:
Got the approval from the wife, i can buy a set of angel eyes.. At the rate i'm going i should be able to buy one item per week.. heh..

anyways, im having a hard time deciding on chromiums or orion's, i like the chromium for the solid light look, but also love the orions since they dont require ballasts and also very low fail rate. I heard that looking at the orion light in person is much different then the posted pics. I just need some peoples opinions with orions, how do they look? do you like them more then the chromiums? should i buy chromiums for now and wait til the orion v2 comes out?? i just feel like the orion's dont have enough led's in between.
If you live in a colder climate, the LED will be the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versace7866 View Post
LOL@Umnitza's marketing.

Its all a bunch of BS.
Did any of you "experts" build or design this product?
Do any of you have an engineering degree?
Did any of your experts have any "say" in the design of the product and the overall production of it?

Let me help you with the answer = that is "no".

In that case, sell what you have, but don't spend more time bad mouthing what you don't. Same response to you in every thread. I'm thinking you are way too focused on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCarRacer View Post
Tough choice; I have the original predator chromium's and they have never failed on me. I like the PCs because of the OEM style ring, and I like how the light is distributed evenly and fills up the whole ring opposed to the gap produced by the orions, but the fact that the orions emit a brighter light makes me want to buy an upgrade kit at the same time.

Quote:
tom, what kinda group buy can we setup?? and how many people are required, and the prices, i was just gonna order a set and i saw that you are ok with a group buy. Please let us know so we can get it rolling..
If you are willing to wait for a group buy, then you'll want to wait for something else

----

This is getting comical. Instead of getting busy selling products, we're left with arguing about "my kit is the same as that kit".

Let's again address the issues, again, and again, and again.

3 main differences for our Products for Predator Orion:
1) They will install easier.
2) They have a more complete look - chrome backing isn't just for bleed through, it's also for a more finished and quality appearance.
3) Cost, they are lower priced and higher value as well.

Look, I can make wonderful "bold" looking pictures with videos and make it all look good and pretty. The same argument about "marketing hype" is hilarious because I'm out there showing you pictures of the product installed on customers cars, the competition is sending you the same exact video posted from 4 weeks ago.

If you want your product with the correct installation parts, and the correct appearance of a finished product, and the best response times in the business...

there is only one choice:
Predator Orion or Predator Chromium <-- and that is all that is required.

---
As a history lesson, you guys might want to search on MonkeyJuice's user name and the name Carlos...and Fiberdesign...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391359

Last edited by umnitza; 04-09-2008 at 04:10 PM.
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #18
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Working on details as we speak.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Here's the real truth.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=Orion

And yet another customer with Orions:
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
j0nblayz

umnitza, noticed you said:

If you are willing to wait for a group buy, then you'll want to wait for something else

i'm assuming you mean v2 is coming very soon? i thought you were gonna announce whats new in v2 this week. Hopefully you could let us know, or alteast let me know so i dont go ahead and buy v1, and find out next day the v2 is out... thanx!!