E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #21
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Thumbs down LED DDEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nblayz View Post
Got the approval from the wife, i can buy a set of angel eyes.. At the rate i'm going i should be able to buy one item per week.. heh..

anyways, im having a hard time deciding on chromiums or orion's, i like the chromium for the solid light look, but also love the orions since they dont require ballasts and also very low fail rate. I heard that looking at the orion light in person is much different then the posted pics. I just need some peoples opinions with orions, how do they look? do you like them more then the chromiums? should i buy chromiums for now and wait til the orion v2 comes out?? i just feel like the orion's dont have enough led's in between.
sorry those LED angel eyes look nothing like BMW Angel Eyes. do you want hype to make you buy those or can't you really tell yourself they look r1cer. BMW Angel Eyes are basically fiber optic rings. they light up the rings so you can see them. they don't shine light out from the headlamp housing. they were designed this way. the CCFL are cheap ways of coming close. but these 30 LEDs facing outward is further away from what they are suppose to be. if you're going to have 30 LEDs in a ring and get away from what was so classic about the design of the Angel Eyes. why even have them inside replica rings? you really don't need it to appear like stock ones since the look now is nothing like the stock ones. break down what an LED is. it's a Light Emmiting Diode. it emmits straight, look at one from the side angle and it shows the diode. look at a few pictures and ask if someone viewing your car thinks it's oem or some cheesy ebay thing you bought for $20. this is a member's orions posted today

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 04-09-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Here's the real truth.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=Orion

And yet another customer with Orions:
Wow, those look terrible! Do you offer a satisfaction guarantee? These are going to need Much more hype because from looks alone this product is going straight to ebay for the Honda and Scion owners
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #23
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
Orions = ***** crap....they would go great with ALTEZZA headlights....Led's FTL
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Wow, those look terrible! Do you offer a satisfaction guarantee? These are going to need Much more hype because from looks alone this product is going straight to ebay for the Honda and Scion owners
Hey! My sister's Scion tC is not a rice burner
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #25
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
Orions = ***** crap....they would go great with ALTEZZA headlights....Led's FTL
Yet LED tails and sidemarkers are selling like hotcakes?
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #26
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
get the mycarr CCFLs
let the LEDs progress, they are rice right until they manage to even out the light output, basicaly add twice as many LEDs and it might be promising
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #27
mit

My Ride: 00 325Ci Convertible
I have CCFLs. They might not burn as bright as the Orions, but one advantage of this is that if you accidentally say... leave them on for 14 hours in your office car park, your car will still start when it's time to go home

Yes, I'm guilty! I left them on by accident! (But now I have a crazy idea to hook them up to a solar panel so they stay on all day because they looked so good)!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #28
skru_fase

My Ride: 2003 M3
i have had my chromiums for a yr now, and have never had any of them fail to light up. ...and our winter this yr had some -30 days

chromiums ftw!
skru_fase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #29
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
i have had my chromiums for a yr now, and have never had any of them fail to light up. ...and our winter this yr had some -30 days

chromiums ftw!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #30
beamin6

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Send a message via AIM to beamin6
see i live in a cold climate too so im a little worried about and umnitza mentioned i should get the led ones. im not sure if i like the led ones but i also needed to get the p46's so i could have hid's and the orions arent offered in the p46 form so i guess for now im stuck it the chromiums but its spring now so i think i will enjoy them for now and we will see when winter comes around
beamin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #31
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
I'd say go with the Chromiums. Those LED seem weird to me and I'm sure those pictures don't do justice for them in person. I've had my CCFL DDEs since 2004 and am still on my original ballasts. I'm on my second set of rings (3000k chromium) and that is only because I wanted a different color, not because they failed. They have been a very reliable mod IMO
Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #32
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
I'd say go with the Chromiums. Those LED seem weird to me and I'm sure those pictures don't do justice for them in person. I've had my CCFL DDEs since 2004 and am still on my original ballasts. I'm on my second set of rings (3000k chromium) and that is only because I wanted a different color, not because they failed. They have been a very reliable mod IMO
Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 AM   #33
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Yet LED tails and sidemarkers are selling like hotcakes?
so does crack cocaine but i would never buy it
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #34
umnitza

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=564331
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #35
Eduardo1971

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Got the approval from the wife, i can buy a set of angel eyes.. At the rate i'm going i should be able to buy one item per week.. heh..

anyways, im having a hard time deciding on chromiums or orion's, i like the chromium for the solid light look, but also love the orions since they dont require ballasts and also very low fail rate. I heard that looking at the orion light in person is much different then the posted pics. I just need some peoples opinions with orions, how do they look? do you like them more then the chromiums? should i buy chromiums for now and wait til the orion v2 comes out?? i just feel like the orion's dont have enough led's in between.

I'm subscribing to this thread-I'm also in the same position. Glad you asked this question!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #36
numba1guju

My Ride: 2013 328i
Send a message via AIM to numba1guju
heres my opinion on chromiums....yes they offer a solid look but they fail...i havent had angel eyes on since about a year...thats bec the ballast shipping is 10 bux...if you think about it...if the ballast fails continuously like many have claimed then youd just be puttin 10 dollars down for shipping every couple months or so....my passenger side ballast went out 3 months after angel eyes were put in...so i turned em off bec i didnt want the car lookin retarded with only driver side on....so in my opinion go for orions...yeah they might not be the best lookin..im goin for them bec over time i think i will save money on SHIPPING!!!...its 10 dollars every time...you can do the calculations

oh yeah....for those who say mycarr are originals...or claim it....WE DONT KNOW WHO MADE THE ORIGINALS...we werent there to witness it...im not hating on mycarr or umnitzas...

one thing i gotta ask though...why are the mycarr LED versions more expensive then the Umnitza LED version????????

just for price i would choose umnitza

2002 325i: Black/Black
Mods: Clears, VM V715 Matte Black 19in staggered, 20% tint all around, Suspension Technique Coilovers, p46s 6000k w/ aurora 60LED
numba1guju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #37
Eduardo1971

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
umnitza, noticed you said:

If you are willing to wait for a group buy, then you'll want to wait for something else

i'm assuming you mean v2 is coming very soon? i thought you were gonna announce whats new in v2 this week. Hopefully you could let us know, or alteast let me know so i dont go ahead and buy v1, and find out next day the v2 is out... thanx!!
Grr. Now I'm wondering if I should wait.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #38
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
heres my opinion on chromiums....yes they offer a solid look but they fail...i havent had angel eyes on since about a year...thats bec the ballast shipping is 10 bux...if you think about it...if the ballast fails continuously like many have claimed then youd just be puttin 10 dollars down for shipping every couple months or so....my passenger side ballast went out 3 months after angel eyes were put in...so i turned em off bec i didnt want the car lookin retarded with only driver side on....so in my opinion go for orions...yeah they might not be the best lookin..im goin for them bec over time i think i will save money on SHIPPING!!!...its 10 dollars every time...you can do the calculations

oh yeah....for those who say mycarr are originals...or claim it....WE DONT KNOW WHO MADE THE ORIGINALS...we werent there to witness it...im not hating on mycarr or umnitzas...

one thing i gotta ask though...why are the mycarr LED versions more expensive then the Umnitza LED version????????

just for price i would choose umnitza
Sometimes the best price would cost you in quality and support. It's not a risk most are willing to take. IMHO - You should be shopping for the best value, which consists of quality, support and price. We offer all three.

Purchase from whom you feel most comfortable with. A search for vendor names (including ours) will also bring up other past experiences as references.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #39
umnitza

Places where the iTrader rating system is active, we have a pretty good track record for those that even know it exists.

Therefore, it's not hard to see where the best value for long term support from the leading innovators will be provided:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/itrader.php?u=1644
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itrader.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	266774  
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #40
numba1guju

My Ride: 2013 328i
Send a message via AIM to numba1guju
no offense to either...i wasnt tryin to put either companies down or anything...ive had a small hassle with umnitzas tech support(little slow at responding...not too bad)...EAS is where i bought my wheels from and have had hassle free support....im goin for my angel eyes through jlevisw though...even though i have never bought anything from them...their support is AWESOME...i ask nick a question and i get the quickest response...thats what you call GREAT!!! customer service....again dont take this comment in a wrong way

overall its just personal preference where to buy from...im not hating on ANYONE

like i said i have bought from both EAS and Umnitza...the only reason i said why is yalls price higher because if MYCARR made the angel eyes then prices should be exactly the same..i know that if umnitza is buying from my car and then selling they would have to charge more...my parents have a business i know how it works...

if the lights have same features and both of yall back the product with a lifetime warranty then why sell at different prices....am i wrong? im sure i didnt say anything wrong

2002 325i: Black/Black
Mods: Clears, VM V715 Matte Black 19in staggered, 20% tint all around, Suspension Technique Coilovers, p46s 6000k w/ aurora 60LED
numba1guju is offline   Reply With Quote