E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Predator Orion vs "LED" Angel Eyes and Predator Chromium

FAQ from Umnitza - a more formal one will be posted on our site once we finish up a few things this next week with some videos.

History Lesson
Since most vendors selling these weren't even around in 2005, it's amazing how much mis information is being blasted out there as fact.

Here are the facts as they were when it all "started".

Angel Eyes (CCFL)
We approached MyCarr to build our sets for us. At the time, their clips were not only not long enough, they were a little weak and would fall off. We made many requests for modifications, some of which were incorporated - some were not.

The ones incorporated have already been discussed in other threads repeatedly the only reason they continue to be discussed again and again is that some competitors choose to flaunt their lack of knowledge as fact to make themselves look better or seem more knowledgeable.

Let me address the most important issues - hopefully for the last time:

Upgrades to the Original:
1) Chrome backing <-- single most important upgrade and the reason this thread was created.
2) Wiring harness improvement - Mycarr did not provide one at the time and we had to build one for them and have them manufacture it to our specs.
3) Heat sinking clips - their clips were not solid as they are now, even still there is plenty of room for improvement.
4) UV Coating, we went down this road with poorly made plastics by our original partner that yellowed and faded over time.

RDash made some X5 kits for us that we market as the Chromium for the X5. They are not UV coated and can yellow - you can see this as example in obvious comparison between the kits if you compare them side by side (original discussions comparing eBay kits - largely made by and distributed by RaceDash.)

Quality of Service
1) We stopped making continuous unnecessary upgrades to products forcing customers to continuously pay for product upgrades as was the standard in the past.
2) We standardized the product with quality additions that made a difference
3) We have always been there to support every single one of the over 6000 Chromium customers (it's a small number really).
4) We continue to support our retailers every day no matter what.

Fact remains, Mycarr did a lot of good work for us, they incorporated it into their "generic" product line, that's all.

PS: Until we came along, MyCarr was largely set upon selling their THIN version. Of course, if you weren't even around in 2005, you wouldn't even know this. In the THIN version, their clips were horrible. We still have one or two of those rings as a "historical perspective" in the shop.

Is one Angel Eye brand kit (CCFL) noticeably brighter than the other?
Yes. While both kits may currently be made by one company, they are simply not the same. The chrome backing of the original Predator Chromium continues to send more light output forward and not backward. This is particularly evident from a distance when the extra light bouncing inside the headlight obfuscates the rings inside the housing. Without a backing, the rings are no different than a "thinline" set.

I often hear the MYCARRs referred to as "generic" - is this true?
Absolutely. The "generic" version still doesn't have the same upgrades that the Predator Chromium has. That is why it's packaged inside Generic packaging, and not official Predator Chromium packaging.

What about UV coating? The Chromiums state this as a feature?
UV coating is incorporated in the Chromiums. Originally, again, a historical perspective is necessary, the generic kit never had UV coating on it. It's not a difficult process, but it is by NO means automatically added to the rings. The irony of stating this as fact is that all other manufacturers of CCFL based kits DO NOT HAVE THIS UV COATING ON THEIR RINGS.

Are your inverters different then Chromiums?
Yes, when a customer requests CWP, we include different ballasts with higher outputs. Ironically, this same argument that they are "generic" ballasts is patently untrue as the customer has the choice.

What are the differences between the MYCARR and Predator wiring harnesses?
MYCARR does manufacture a wiring harness. Call them and ask them. We do however make our own with proper harness. It's not the same as the other products because it's made specifically for us. It's a signed exclusive contract with another manufacturer. So, it's not the same. While both harnesses have the "remote feature" while allow the Angel Eyes to fade on/off with the key remote, both are not made with the same quality materials.

How does the Lifetime Warranty Work
Unlike the competitors.
We have found that:
a) Driving to the post office is cumbersome for warranty. It costs time and money. Same with Fedex or UPS.
b) Customer do complain about having to wait for a scheduled pickup or having missed pickups for RMAs.
c) Customers don't need to find packing material, a box, take the part out of the car, and then get it ready for a or b.
d) Customer don't like to have to figure out what's wrong only to have to open their car 2 times.

We did market research and the best thing we've found is what customers like the most, a small shipping and handling fee - makes it easy for the customer to remove and replace the part 1 time, have the part waiting for them when they return home, and eliminates the worry of whether that part sent back actually got there and wait another 1-2 weeks to get the replacements on top of the wait to RMA it back.

If this doesn't suit the individual customer, by all means, we are open to doing the RMA process.

Angel Eye FAQ (LED):

What are the differences between the MYCARR LED Angel Eyes and Predator Orions?
The main difference at this time is with a Chrome backing and a few changes we do for the kit to make the kit easier to install. It's easy to diminish the accomplishments of one vendor by making seem like "nothing" but:

1 - LEDs are directional and will emit light facing forward, except some light does inevitably bounce back and out. Having a chrome backing prevents this no matter what.

2 - Admitting that bleeding is probable, the circuit board the LEDs are mounted to the Chromium backing allows the board to be more secure. It's such a small thing, but it keeps the board suspended more firmly.

3 - A more finished look with the Chromium backing. We all prefer better quality backing to a properly designed and original product.

4 - We make some changes to the wiring at our warehouse to make the installation so much more easy than the "generic" kit. Why else are there so many Predator Orion install posts. It's easy.

What are the differences between the mounting clips on the MYCARR LED Angel Eyes and Predator Orions?
Currently, there are no differences in the mounting clips. However, the original mycarr rings were not properly designed (see history lesson on THIN rings). We made these changes. Good to see the generic version incorporate those innovative changes made due to our experience installing them.

Why are the MYCARRs referred to as "generic" and the Predator Orion the original?
See comments above. Despite the minor items of discussion, they are still priced lower than the rest, yet contain more.

What about UV coating? The Orions state this as a feature?
See the same comments above about CCFL. We actively chose this. Ask the rest of the competitors if they have the original prototype ring? Or if they have the original prototype drawings. All of these items were obviously incorporated into the Generic items, but not everything we had.

The Orions state to have a "more finished" look than the generics?
Yes, just comparing them side by side, you have a finished product ready to install.

Summary of the Main Points

Differences:

- Packaging: Currently, both kits come in the same boxes, we don't repackage them at this time. There is a good reason for this.

- Backing: The Orions have a chrome backing, the generic kit doesn't. The key points were explained earlier.

- Leading Innovations: The Orions have all the features and designs we spec'ed out originally, by Umnitza. Buying the original supports continuing innovation.

Similarities:

- Currently manufactured by the same company

Every attempt is being made by the competition, as has been from day one, to attempt to discredit the quality of innovation in our products over the others. The fact is, we've proven over the last 5 years to innovate every angel eyes invention on the market.

All this post really does is further clarify the differences as they currently stand and reinforces that Umnitza will continue to innovate for the future.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
neil1138

Is the term "Predator Chromium" trademarked?
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
neil1138

Just for informational purposes only. And I'm curious aswell.

Best regards,

Neil
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Kringkily

My Ride: e46 m3 convertible
just ordered some orions lets see how it turns out
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringkily View Post
just ordered some orions lets see how it turns out
Should ship today
================

Trademarks were attempted and we made a typographical error, it's in the process of being resubmitted.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
umnitza

Predator Orion is the only true original in this case.
There are many knock offs already on the market, judging by the AMPA show already. So quick these knock offs come...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
the chrome backing still doesn't do anything. the backings on the back of the mycarr's LEDs are not opaque, but rather a solid white backing. there's no light to seep through the back.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
the chrome backing still doesn't do anything. the backings on the back of the mycarr's LEDs are not opaque, but rather a solid white backing. there's no light to seep through the back.
Wrong, it's not white, it's opaque.

Personally, I'd rather not see exposed circuit board for a variety of reasons - either while installing or while looking at it or even while on the car - oh, did I mention it's obvious there even when it's on the car because it reflects off the headlight shroud?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post

Personally, I'd rather not see exposed circuit board for a variety of reasons - either while installing or while looking at it or even while on the car - oh, did I mention it's obvious there even when it's on the car because it reflects off the headlight shroud?
hmm, i have them right here, and the backing is white.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
umnitza

Then it's not the right set you have.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 AM   #11
minyi

My Ride: 02' 325cic
I've put up the Predator Orion (LED) bought from Umnitza over the weekend on my 02 325cic, and I really like it, even better than others with continuous tube lighting effect. I've read from some other threads that they don't like the dotted effect of LEDs, but I think it's really cool. It's even little futuristic look, and most of all, it will last really really long time....

BTW, it took me over 4 hours to install, mainly with the fact that I was very careful to check eveything twice, and it was first time to take the head light assembly apart. And I was also changing the HID light bulbs as well, which was real pain with lack of clearance in the back of the housing. Overall, I really liked the kit itself. Much easier than the other kits I've seen in other threads. Just some fish tapes around the connectors, and zip tights along with the existing wirings. Can't even tell the wiring was added on.

About the backing, can't exactly recall (I am not about to take the whole thing apart, again, to check the color of the backing... ), but I don't think it was pure white. It was more of a silverly color...

Last edited by minyi; 04-16-2008 at 01:24 AM.
minyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #12
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by minyi View Post
I've put up the Predator Orion (LED) bought from Umnitza over the weekend on my 02 325cic, and I really like it, even better than others with continuous tube lighting effect. I've read from some other threads that they don't like the dotted effect of LEDs, but I think it's really cool. It's even little futuristic look, and most of all, it will last really really long time....

BTW, it took me over 4 hours to install, mainly with the fact that I was very careful to check eveything twice, and it was first time to take the head light assembly apart. And I was also changing the HID light bulbs as well, which was real pain with lack of clearance in the back of the housing. Overall, I really liked the kit itself. Much easier than the other kits I've seen in other threads. Just some fish tapes around the connectors, and zip tights along with the existing wirings. Can't even tell the wiring was added on.

About the backing, can't exactly recall (I am not about to take the whole thing apart, again, to check the color of the backing... ), but I don't think it was pure white. It was more of a silverly color...
well you got the orion's, their's have the chrome backing. i'll have to see if i can cop another set of the mycarr LEDs to confirm the backing is opaque or a solid white like the ones i have.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
well you got the orion's, their's have the chrome backing. i'll have to see if i can cop another set of the mycarr LEDs to confirm the backing is opaque or a solid white like the ones i have.
Nothing to "cop". I have them in my office and I just visited them to see it. They are currently opaque.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Eduardo1971

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Red face

Could you do a comparison of the two LED Angel Lights. Maybe taking pictures of the back (in the dark) so that we may see how much light bleeds through. Maybe also pictures of a E46-one side with Orions and the other side with the other brand LED Angel lights?

I'm on the fence-I was going to get the CCFL Angels but those LED's are growing on me. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for Version 2.0...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
umnitza

The comparison above is all that is required to understand the differences between products and companies.

Showing pictures doesn't prove anything on forums, anyone can buy any product out there and claim anything they want. The fact is, we are the only ones that have the Orion product. We saw no fewer than 4 different attempts already on the market of knock-offs just 2 short months after release.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #16
sillieidiot

Quote:

apparently you don't have the correct one. i got another set from a different vendor. both have a solid white backing.

edit: took some pictures while i was at it

front:

the back:

took it off to show that it's not the circuit board that's making it look white:

Last edited by sillieidiot; 04-19-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #17
sillieidiot

Quote:
The comparison above is all that is required to understand the differences between products and companies.

Showing pictures doesn't prove anything on forums, anyone can buy any product out there and claim anything they want. The fact is, we are the only ones that have the Orion product. We saw no fewer than 4 different attempts already on the market of knock-offs just 2 short months after release.
actually i saw the mycarr LEDs on sale before you released the orions. about a week or so.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #18
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Quote:

Sorry to interrupt but you can see the circuit board on the Orions as well. I guess this is another thing you must fix in version 2. Opaque or not it doesn't matter it is still very apparent. So this flaw undoubtedly resides in both products. And your right it does look extremely ugly and should be something that is fixed. So one can conclude that the chrome backing does little if anything on this type of product. Since it doesn't help in forward projection of light and it doesn't block the circuit board from appearing in the reflection of the shrouds.

From your own Predator Orion showroom thread. You can clearly see the orange circuit board in the reflection on the shrouds.

Last edited by Brian N; 04-19-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Well I hope V2 Solves the Circuit board issues
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Well I hope V2 Solves the Circuit board issues
I'm sure it's nothing a little black paint can't solve

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote