E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
DIY custom Nexus 7 Android Bezel $25

Hi Folks,

I've seen quite a few of these implementations where they make custom bezels for their Nexus 7. While they seem to turn out quite nice, I took a different approach. For the amount of money/time, I think it was well worth it. Keep in mind this application requires no wires. Nexus 7 is wireless Qi capable for wireless charging. Audio is Bluetooth. On and Off modes provided by an app called Tasker and it's ability to sense power/bluetooth, etc and load apps, lock screen, whatever you need.

Materials:
  • $20 double din face-plate from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ABS based solvent
  • $1 ABS scrap from Tap Plastics, I used 1/8 inch thickness
  • Grinder of some sort and Sand Paper
  • Rubber bands and binder clips
  • 3 hours of time with 10-20 minutes between drying time

1. Grind down and sand the back of the bezel as flat as you can to minimize the depth of the bezel to the tablet glass. In these photos, I've already assembled it, but you can see that it is thinner.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	559245

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	559246
At the top of the bezel, I made a notch so that I could slide the tablet in and out. In this bezel I also shaved off the mounts as I intend to build an eject mechanism. You may choose to leave them if you are intending on a permanent installation.

2. Cut a set of four walls to act as a standoff from the back supporting plate. You will want to place your tablet on the bezel and measure the distances. I used my grinder to make slight adjustments and curve the edges to get as much surface area for the solvent to settle into. Two of the walls will go on the inner edge of the two sides. I used the first wall I built as a template for the next three. Place tiny amounts of solvent on the inner edge of the bezel and use binder clips to keep them in place.

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	559248

3. Once dried, again place your tablet back on the bezel. Align it so that the light sensor and camera are completely visible. I turned on the camera and slid the tablet to the left until I could no longer see black on the screen. There was still ample screen on the left of the tablet so that it was not cut off by the bezel. I placed my camera on the right side due to the left-hand drive car. If yours is right-hand drive, you may want to put the camera on the left. I found that you can still skype and see both passengers in their seats without leaning.

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	559257
If you look carefully at the second image above on step 1, you can see where I aligned the inner walls. With a pencil, trace the outside lines of the tablet. Place a thin stream of solvent down the wall facing the bezel and affix them into place. I was able to do this by holding it in place for about 30 seconds, then it was able to stay on its own until completely dry.

4. Test fitment of the tablet between the walls. Cut the back plate ABS wall to the appropriate dimensions of the bezel and test fitment. I used a toaster and a wooden cutting board to soften the bottom of the wall so that I could get a slight curve at an exact location. I then ground down the edges to get an exact fitment. This allowed me to affix the base of the wall directly to the bezel bottom.

5. Place 1/2 edge of masking tape on the bottom wall of the bezel, and align the back wall where you want it. Round the other 1/2 edge of the tape up and over the back wall. Then when you release the wall and glue, you can use the tape as a hinge to keep it perfectly aligned as you intended and also avoid solvent run-off to damage your finished surface. Remove your tablet and place solvent down all four wall edges and the bezel base. Affix the back plate. Use rubber bands to keep all four walls firmly attached.

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	559249

6. I found this bezel to be about 1/8th of an inch two small. But this was OK for me as I intend to make an eject mechanism later and wanted ample clearance from the dash. I found some black foam rubber backing with self-adhesion film that I simply applied and sized on the left and right walls. This allowed for a nice snug fitment. You can also use black weather stripping so long as it's not more than 1/16 inch in thickness. With the tablet inserted and installed it gives a nice factory look.

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	559250

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	559260

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.