E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
DIY: Foglight Retrofit just like OEM but without the Kit!

Ok well I finally got around to putting this together. This will show you how to wire up foglights exactly like OEM with the exception of not having to pay $200 for the Fog Light Retofit kit Part# 63 17 9 410 794. Here is the instuctional guide provided by Circle BMW http://www.circlebmw.com/service/access/9410794.htm

Now lets get started, by first gathering your parts and supplies:

Parts Needed:

2 - Foglights (Free for me from a fellow fanatic. Well sort of...)
1 - OEM Foglight Switch ($10 off ebay)
1 - Tube of silicon ($3)
1 - Roll 1/4" Black Loom Tubing (Cheap off Ebay $4.99 for 100ft) You only need like15 feet but now I have some spare
1 - T-Tap (Free)
1 - 4 Pin Relay (Free)
1 - Fuse panel connector with 15 Amp fuse (Free)
1 - Comb connector pin (~ $1
2 - Pigtail Connectors for Foglight Sockets available at the Dealer for about $2-$3 each
4 - Crimp/Butt connectors (Free)
Zipties ($3)
Electrical Tape ($2)
And some.. 16 guage wiring (Free)

Tools Needed:

Crimping Tool
10mm socket
Philips Head Screwdriver

Step1 : Drive car on ramps I did this just because it made it easier for me.

Step 2: Disconnect the battery and drop down the glove box that is held in by 6 philips head screws

Step 3: Once glove box is removed now removed the carrier tray that is held in by 1 - 10mm plastic nut. This will give you access to where the foglight relay female connector is located.

Step 4: Once carrier is removed you will be able to see where the "Orange" Foglight relay is suppose to plug into the black relay socket. The black relay socket already has one wire pre-connected to it the Yellow/Brown wire. This wire is the tigger wire for the foglights when you push the Foglight button on the LCM switch panel.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Ivegotissues666

Step 5: Make relay wiring harness. It only needs to be a 4 pin relay that consists of:

1 - Positive wire from fuse panel to relay input
2 - Positive wires from relay output to foglight connectors
3 - Ground connections from relay (1 to grounding point in the fuse panels comb connector section, and the other 2 to the foglight connectors)
1 - Accessory/Trigger wire from relay tapped to the Yellow/Brown Wire

Make sure you make the wires for the foglight connectors long enough for they have to run to the front of the car I made mine about 20 ft and cut off excess wiring when I was cleaning up the wiring at the end.

Step 6: Once your done building your relay secure it somewhere out of the way. And before putting back the carrier panel you will need to poke a hole in one of the extra rubber nipples to feed the 2 + and 2 - wires into the engine bay. Once you have done this you ay resecure the carrier panel.

Step 7: Drop done the fuse panel and locate Fuse #38 this is the fuse position for the foglights. Crimping the special BMW spring leaf contact connector put it into the #38 fuse position and put the 15 Amp fuse in. Now moving onto the top of the fuse panel there is a little black box called the distribution board. You need to find the comb connector with all BROWN wires, these are Ground but just to make sure test them with your multimeter. Connect the 3rd Ground wire from the area to one of the empty slots on the comb connector with all the BROWN wires. Once your all set you may assemble everything put the fuse panel back and glovebox if you wish.

Step 8: Now accessing in the engine bay on the passengers side start routing the wires to both the front/bottom/left and front bottom/right. I covered my wiring up with loom and electrical tape to make it blend in and look OEM.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Ivegotissues666

Step 9: Once you finished routing the wires now either crimp or solder the connections to the pigtail folight connectors. I wrapped these in electrical tape as well. Once your all set you can put your foglights into your bumper by first removing the plastic peices that are in their place. Now plug in your new fogs and resecure your bumper.

Step 10: Working in the drivers seat now remove the interior trim peice and undo the 2 - philips head screws to reve the LCM just enough t gain access to the faceplate. Now the faceplate i connected via 4 little plastic clips that you need to gently pry up. Be careful for the faceplate is connected to cable that you don't want to damage. Once the old faceplate is removed simply reinsert the new one with the fog light button.

Step 11: Reconnect the battery and test your new foglights by turning on your headights then pushing the foglight button and voila you got FOGLIGHTS wired exactly like OEM at a fraction of the price.

Step 12: Just so water does not leak into your footwell area. At the section to poked the hole through the rubber nipple apply some silicon and secure with a zip tie and you will be all set.

Step 13: Reassemble everything if you haven't done so already and ENJOY!

PS: dont mind my bumer moldings being MIA I was painting them at the time.

Any comments/questions don't hesitate to ask.

Jared
Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
Nice!

Your car came without fog lights?
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
JCsE46
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

My Ride: 03 E46 JB, 08 MBE350
Send a message via AIM to JCsE46 Send a message via MSN to JCsE46
Nice DIY. Your DIY has already been placed in my "Favorites" for future reference. This is a nice DIY write up for peeps asking for fog light retrofits. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk*
Nice!

Your car came without fog lights?
Thanks and yeah as a matter of fact my car was just a basic package.

Didn't Come with:

Stock 15's
Multifunction Steering wheel with radio/cruise control
Xenons and Autoleveling
Fog Lights
Power/Heated Seats
Footwell Lighting

At the time I bought my car I didn't really know of what specific options to look for.

My car also didn't come with a Manual Tranny but thats soon to change I am going to rebuild it or most/some it since the mileage is "unknown" and of course post a DIY of a full transmission swap like I always do. I'm sure not too many people on here have seen the inner portions of their 5 speeds.

Jared
Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
IgotIssue,

Again, excellent write up.

Question for you though:

Is the fog light cover (plastic/glass) removable like our headlights? I am asking because my fog light is getting cloudy and I would like to change them. However, BMW only sells the foglight in a complete housing.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Great writeup, thanks!
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:09 AM   #9
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
IgotIssue,

Question for you though:

Is the fog light cover (plastic/glass) removable like our headlights? I am asking because my fog light is getting cloudy and I would like to change them. However, BMW only sells the foglight in a complete housing.
ADA I am pretty sure the foglight is one peice I didn't go that much into depth to realize if the cover/lense was removable or not but I am 99% sure that it is not. I think it is sealed by plastic or possibly glue which might make it removable if you baked it or used a heat gun, and personally I wouldn't bother.

You shoud try using a silicon adhesive to reseal it up if you can find the leak. I assuming it is most likely at the plug portion or are there cracks in the foglights?

If you still need them after I do my M3 bumper retrofit you can have mine they are brand new considering I just put them in. They are "Depo" but hey they'd be free for you. Anyways I will keep you in mind and let you know when I finish with my M3 Bumper retrofit probaby about 1 - 2 Months.

Jared
Old 03-31-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
ADA I am pretty sure the foglight is one peice I didn't go that much into depth to realize if the cover/lense was removable or not but I am 99% sure that it is not. I think it is sealed by plastic or possibly glue which might make it removable if you baked it or used a heat gun, and personally I wouldn't bother.

You shoud try using a silicon adhesive to reseal it up if you can find the leak. I assuming it is most likely at the plug portion or are there cracks in the foglights?

If you still need them after I do my M3 bumper retrofit you can have mine they are brand new considering I just put them in. They are "Depo" but hey they'd be free for you. Anyways I will keep you in mind and let you know when I finish with my M3 Bumper retrofit probaby about 1 - 2 Months.

Jared

awwwww.....much thanks! Don't worry, I don't mind paying you money for the DEPO fogs anyway.

Man, your DIY, inputs, and service you provide to this community reminds me of e46fanatics in its early days. Nowadays people seems to focus more on the SHOWROOM and OFF TOPIC forum. If anyone post a question on the GENERAL or DIY section it either gets ignored or replied with "BRING IT TO THE DEALER."

Your actions represent that of a true fanatic.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Great job J! Thanks for putting the time into the DIY too - they can be a bit of work to compile.

Man those fogs are so nice and clear...wouldn't want to trade with my stone pitted ones would ya?

You did well getting the fog switch faceplate for 10 bucks. I needed the euro one with the extra button for my halo project and ended up going to the dealer at around $160CDN.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #12
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i
Great job J! Thanks for putting the time into the DIY too - they can be a bit of work to compile.

Man those fogs are so nice and clear...wouldn't want to trade with my stone pitted ones would ya?

You did well getting the fog switch faceplate for 10 bucks. I needed the euro one with the extra button for my halo project and ended up going to the dealer at around $160CDN.

Mark
Thanks I know they do take up some time but the way I figure it is someone else can benefit from this in the long run. Especially with certain stuff that BMW considers an option IE: Footwell lighting I mean how much do they tack on for that $100 - $200

Where you can just buy the parts for like under $10

Which button the one with the rear fogs? I need to get me one of those

Jared
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
I'll take a pic at lunch...

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Kmhmuboy

My Ride: 323i
Did you use a standard 4-pin automotive relay? Do you have the schematic on how you wired it as well? I am a little slow and i've read this post over several times already, but i just can't get it. Thanks. P.S. Great DIY write up.
Kmhmuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #15
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmhmuboy
Did you use a standard 4-pin automotive relay? Do you have the schematic on how you wired it as well? I am a little slow and i've read this post over several times already, but i just can't get it. Thanks. P.S. Great DIY write up.
A standard 4 pin relay will do. The OEM BMW one is Orange in color and 4 pin. No difference in functionality, you can actually buy the Orange ones from www.bavauto.com

At the dealer however they say they are ENDED but I never tried to order one from the dealer.

I will post up a little diagram on how to wire the relay tommorrow for those that would like to know how. But if you have DDE's/Angel Eyes the relay is set up exactly the same way. Except for the extra 5 pin for the remote of course.

Jared
Old 04-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
HI,
thank you for your DIY.
anyway, I have a question on step 15~17
http://www.circlebmw.com/service/access/9410794.htm

on Figure 9 and 8

Do I need to make comb type connector? and need to make a cable 3?
or they are already there?

cause I bought the foglight kit and there is no comb type and extra cable like number '3'

thank you for your help.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #17
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
IgotIssue,

Question for you though:

You might wanna try to polish 'em off.

Jared: It's strange, 'cause my car is a basic package too, but with manual transmission and fog lights. Does it mean if it's manual it supposed to have fog lights?...

Last edited by Asterisk*; 04-01-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk*
Jared: It's strange, 'cause my car is a basic package too, but with manual transmission and fog lights. Does it mean if it's manual it supposed to have fog lights?...
I'm not sure what year is your car again? Most likely whoever originally bought the car could have peordered it with fogs as an option. Isn't even a Manual tranny an option because of most of us lazy americans that don't wat to drive stick haha.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #19
gusdagoos

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to gusdagoos
Great write up and good job! I did this a couple years ago. I bought a pair of fog lights off a fanatic and the switch. Then bought the wiring from bmw for really cheap and hooked it up. I think i hooked something up wrong in the glovebox cause when i click the switch on my foglights i hear a little click in my glovebox but its barely noticeable.

Last edited by gusdagoos; 04-01-2006 at 10:55 PM.
gusdagoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
TC323i
Sick///Bird

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusdagoos
I think i hooked something up wrong in the glovebox cause when i click the switch on my foglights i hear a little click in my glovebox but its barely noticeable.
That is more than likely just the realy switching. it is supposed to do that.