E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #21
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne View Post
Tim, thanks to you I had a big win today. SRS light was dispatched w/o a problem. This only took me 25 minutes, $16, and i didn't even have to take the seat out of the car, i just maneuvered it so that the base was forward and the back was to the drivers side. Thanks again.

- Joe
haha nevermind. two days later the light comes back! i've yet to scan it again but i will get to the bottom of this.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #22
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda2 View Post
Nice DIY. My airbag light flickers on and off when a passenger is sitting in the seat. Not sure why it's doing that.
Mine started doing this as well for awhile and now gets tripped anytime someone is in the passenger seat. I got table 10, code 1a which isn't in the book. Ken at www.Bimmertools.com is talking to Peake to see whats up for me. I have a thread going about it and will update everyone there.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #23
Besfort

My Ride: 325
anyone wana let me use their scanner ???
Besfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #24
FuzzBall

My Ride: `01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfano View Post
I replaced this cable last month and didn't see SRS light anymore.
About $14.00 P/N 52108255704

I also want to sell the srs scanner R5/SRS, because i don't use it anymore, $105 shipped

Can't say I've seen that kit before, but something very similar. However, the issue behind this light is too much resistance on the circuit. I've encountered less than a half-dozen that actually needed the pre-tensioner.

The repair kit I've always used essentially bypasses the main seat connector all together. The whole idea is to cut down on resistance. So the seat harness is replaced, and has an individual connector that is separate from the big yellow seat connector. The other half runs from the car harness to the other end of the plug.

I attached a printout that should clear this up much more. Part numbers are in there too

Edit: Sorry, looks like it left out part numbers.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair Harness Tensioner.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	299309  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B612000E46Repair2.pdf (334.2 KB, 1323 views)

Last edited by FuzzBall; 01-19-2009 at 08:21 PM.
FuzzBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
Albatross

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfano View Post

I'm working on this repair right now and I'm stuck. Where does the black wire from the harness plug in? I have made the right connections with the yellow part, but can't find where to plug the black wire that's opposite the yellow plug. Does it plug into something near the seat belt or does it plug into something in the floor?

Thanks in advance for your help and for this great forum!
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #26
smorris_12

My Ride: 320d Touring
If you're replacing it then you just follow the existing cable and see where it leads!

It plugs into the pre-tensioner which is effectively the bottom part of the seat belt buckle. Dunno how easy it is to do with the seat in the car though as it's against the transmission tunnel.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
smorris_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #27
gthaines

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Thanks, I have the same issue and this pretty much covers all possible situations associated with that code. Great precise post.
gthaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
gthaines

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Ok, folllow up post. Replacement was easy enough, however after replacing the tensioner and harness, and using the Bavarian Auto Scan tool to clear codes, my light and codes keep re-appearing. Any other suggestions as to what may be causing the reading?

Found in some instructions that the wiring & plug coming out of the carpet might need to be spliced and replaced as well as the harness and tensioner. Any suggestions?

Last edited by gthaines; 07-13-2009 at 03:40 PM.
gthaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #29
tomjrau

My Ride: '03 330i zhp
Passenger seat belt tensioner

Airbag light was on and found to be passenger side seatbelt tensioner. I never did any work on that side so I'm not sure what triggered it. Fortunately, all I had to do was reach underneath the seat and disconnect the harness and replug it back in and the code was able to reset. My passenger seat is powered so I'm not sure if that makes any difference in where the harness was placed.
tomjrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #30
jookydrinker

My Ride: BMW 323i '00
my attempt to fix the driver's side pre-tensioner code: i replaced my pre-tensioner (the thing the seat belt clips into) just last july. then, the airbag light comes on again after 4 months. i ignored it until i came upon this thread a couple days ago. so, as suggested i took that harness out from under my seat (after unbolting my seat), then sprayed contact cleaner on all the exposed metal leads on all the various connectors, waited for an hour to dry, reconnected everything, bolted the seat back, and cleared the code. so far, the code hasn't returned. cross my fingers it doesn't return for a long time! if it does i'll buy a new harness. i'd certainly like to avoid buying that expensive $140+ pre-tensioner again for as long as possible. in any case, you can pick up contact cleaner at your local electronics component store. that stuff is gold.
jookydrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #31
LeontiyZHP

My Ride: '04 330Ci ZHP

If I'm going to swtich out my driver seat with a different one, will I get an airbag light after switching the pretensioner from one seat to another? Sorry if it's of topic.

2004 330Ci ZHP
Pioneer Avic D3, Xplod Amp w/ 10' Sub |
CCFL Angel Eyes, LED interior/license plate/CREE reverse lights
Car For Sale

DIY Facelift Angel Eyes | AVIC-D3 Install | flickr
LeontiyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #32
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
Welcome to the "airbag light on" club
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #33
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
Has anyone tried replacing seat belt tensioner/seat plug wire? Any success?
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #34
jpainter187

My Ride: '99 E46
What if its not the pretensioner? I really don't wanna spend $120 on a R5-SRS Peake tool!
jpainter187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #35
jpainter187

My Ride: '99 E46
Well this was a bust! I was ordering a new front windshield cowl so went ahead and ordered one of these for $13. I replaced it and when finished the airbag light went off for about a second, and came right back on again.
jpainter187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #36
dorem

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
What if I don't fix

My mechanic told me to replace the harnass at $323. I think I can probably fix it myself with the help of this forum - but....

What if I don't fix it? Does it really affect the airbag? Or is it just a sensor for the seatbelt?

-Dore
dorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #37
missamo80

My Ride: 2001 325i
A'ight, I too have the dreaded seatbelt light on. Code says it's "Firing circuit, belt tensioner, driver side". I ordered the $15 harness and went to replace it tonight. When I took the old harness out I figured I'd found the problem, as the two wires coming off it were completely broken off!

Unfortunately after replacing the harness and clearing the airbag fault with the Peake tool, it comes right back on I'll have to go back out tomorrow morning and make sure everything is connected properly.

I'll note too that since the two wires were snapped off I had a devil of a time figuring out where the other end was supposed to go since I couldn't find the cable to follow it. Basically the same problem Albatross had, and thankfully this thread said "look on the seatbelt".

Neil
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #38
lazyacevw

My Ride: BMW
Something else to check.....

One thing to remember when dealing with the seatbelt tensioner is that there are two circuits. One is the pyrotechnic tensioner (two wires) and the other is the buckle circuit (4 wires).

I too have an airbag fault. A quick scan with INPA shows:

16 Belt Lock Driver

Error frequency : 15

Short circuit to batt+

If you get this error, plug in your seat belt and clear the airbag fault. It shouldn't come back on! This is where I am at. It looks to me that the hall sensor in the buckle itself is bad. BTW my belt warning light still goes on and off as it should.

If you carefully pry open the buckle it is possible to replace the hall sensor from a donor and glue everything up. Or if you have the money, replace the whole assembly.

If you have the "Firing circuit, belt tensioner, driver side" it deals with the pyrotechnic tensioner circuit. There are several RI's issued for the common firing circuit fault mentioned earlier. I have attached a few copies of what I have found. Bottom line is, if the pyrotechnic has too much resistance, it throws a fault and the wiring from the pyro to under the carpet should be suspected. Do not measure the resistance of the tensioner pyro itself! Unless you have one of these that is:

http://www.amptec.com/620A4.htm

I'm lucky!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B612000E46Repair2.pdf (334.2 KB, 974 views)
File Type: pdf SI Repair Instructions for Seat Belt Tensioner Ignition Circuit.pdf (201.0 KB, 2843 views)
lazyacevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
brianhiatt

My Ride: e46 - 330i
worked perfect for me

hello,

I have an e46 that had this problem. I cleaned around my seat and the light came on. so, I used this thread and it worked.

Here is what I did:
1. bought the peek srs/16 tool
2. got the code and it was this issue
3. took seat out and repaired the cable after checking with a meter.
4. put everything back together following the manual
5. reset the alarm with the peak tool
6. drove around and checked that is worked. Light is out, all is well after a week.

Thanks again for your post, really helped.
brianhiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #40
rody1285

My Ride: 00' 323i, 05 M3 Vert
Send a message via AIM to rody1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhiatt View Post
hello,

I have an e46 that had this problem. I cleaned around my seat and the light came on. so, I used this thread and it worked.

Here is what I did:
1. bought the peek srs/16 tool
2. got the code and it was this issue
3. took seat out and repaired the cable after checking with a meter.
4. put everything back together following the manual
5. reset the alarm with the peak tool
6. drove around and checked that is worked. Light is out, all is well after a week.

Thanks again for your post, really helped.

Can someone please help me?

In step 5 of the PDF:

Route the seat section of the new
repair harness thorough the seat
frame, securing it with three wire ties
(2) in loops underneath the seat
upholstery (as shown on the
illustration).

Where do I get the "new repair harness" what is the part number??