E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #41
jaya

My Ride: 2002 325i
Dirty contacts

Hi. I'm the new guy. I have found that dirty contacts on the pretensioner pyro unit will set off the airbag warning light. I was able to clear the code after I wiggled the connector to the pyro unit. does anyone know how to unplug it? I'd like to clean the contacts with Deoxit but don't want to destroy the connector trying to unplug it. Anybody have any experience in this?
jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
I replaced my relay a little over a year ago, reset it with INPA and all was fine until my friend moved my seat yesterday. I'm now pulling this code:

ignition circuit ZK2 -> belt tensioner passenger
error is active now, resistor is too large, error is not sporadic.

My hope is something came loose, but would i really need to replace the relay again this soon? Could it be the *shudder* tensioner this time?

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #43
jaya

My Ride: 2002 325i
suggestion

Try unplugging it and substituting a 1.8 ohm resistor in the circuit. If the fault clears, check the resistance of the pretensioner. BE SURE to use the Rx1 setting on the ohmmeter. Wear eye protection. Resistance should be aprox 1.8 ohms. If it checks high, (more than 2.1 ohms) try wiggling the connector on the pyro unit and see if the resistance changes. If so, you need to clean the contacts on your pyro unit connector. Use Deoxit. Good Luck.
jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #44
BMW_SSG

My Ride: '02 325i|'11 GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_SSG
Saved for later
Old 01-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #45
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
A friend of mine at the dealer gave me this part number 61126908850 like it shows in some of these posts with the instructions.....says he always replaced the tensioner harness with this #.

52108255704...this is the one i see on here being used earlier in the thread

anyone know the difference?

both of them are replacement #s

it seems as though this 61126908850 $50 is for a bypass fixing the resistance problem
and 52108255704 $15 is just a replacement but will cause the same problem later down the road?

Last edited by glhx; 01-27-2012 at 08:00 PM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
Dewstain

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
A friend of mine at the dealer gave me this part number 61126908850 like it shows in some of these posts with the instructions.....says he always replaced the tensioner harness with this #.

52108255704...this is the one i see on here being used earlier in the thread

anyone know the difference?

both of them are replacement #s

it seems as though this 61126908850 $50 is for a bypass fixing the resistance problem
and 52108255704 $15 is just a replacement but will cause the same problem later down the road?
ECS listed it as two separate pars, right and left, I believe, but my BMW dealership had it as only one.

It was $23 to buy it at my dealership, and $16 + $8 shipping at Tischer or ECS...

FYI, if you have power seats, like in the M3, get the bolts out before you disconnect the battery. Or else, it's a lot of connect/disconnect/connect crap going on.
Dewstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #47
CAFFN

My Ride: 2002 316ti Compact
@TS: Thanks! My pre-tensioner gave an airbag-light.. replaced just the cable, resetted the error, light is gone!

Edit; Never mind.. within 24 hours the light came back on

BMW 316ti Compact

Last edited by CAFFN; 07-14-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Light is back on
CAFFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #48
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
I have this error in regards of the air bag and the light is on, by buying this $15.00 harness , would that fix the problem? can any one help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panseger tensinoner.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	461843  

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #49
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Addict View Post
I have this error in regards of the air bag and the light is on, by buying this $15.00 harness , would that fix the problem? can any one help
that was my problem, not guaranteed to be yours but its definitely worth a try.

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #50
CAFFN

My Ride: 2002 316ti Compact
Also check the connector that comes out of the carpet. After my light went back on I replaced the cable again with the original one and the light went back off again (about a week now). Perhaps the connector got a bit dirty..

BMW 316ti Compact
CAFFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
fourholer

My Ride: 03 330ci
Me too ! I remember reading this post a long time ago now. My drivers side pre tensioner harness plug pins had some light corrosion that brought the airbag light on. (Just cleaned them up & reset using Peak) Haven't had an issue since.
fourholer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #52
glhx

my problem comes and goes. I wiggled the wire 4 months ago and the light stayed off. it recently came back on. i was putting something in the back seat...tilted it forward and lifted it up.....never have cleaned the contacts yet. going to try this soon. I shut the light off and it stayed off until people got in the back seat and had to tilt the seat forward again and lift it up. The movement of my seat is causing this. im guessing its moving the wiring harness around and there could be corrosion at the connection.

there are 2 part numbers above....one is direct oem replacement and the other is a bypass......how many of you have been successful with just the oem replacement.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #53
glhx

i unbolted the seat...easy to do.....and took apart the yellow plug. No corrosion.....put it all back together and sealed it in di electric grease.....light so far has not come back on. you have to take the seat out to get the tensioner out. If light comes back on ill get an oem replacement
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #54
madunix

My Ride: Silver 01' BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
i unbolted the seat...easy to do.....and took apart the yellow plug. No corrosion.....put it all back together and sealed it in di electric grease.....light so far has not come back on. you have to take the seat out to get the tensioner out. If light comes back on ill get an oem replacement
did you have to clear the code with any sort of reader? or did the light go out by itself?
madunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #55
glhx

light wont ever go out on its own.....you need a reader to shut it off.

I would get a bmw scanner 1.4.0. they are cheap...plug and play....easy to use....and have many more functions like 1 click door lock/unlock for the driver and passenger side at the same time. IT also does diagnostics for every part of the car. I have save hundreds of dollars so far by being able to turn off all the check engine lights on my own. With this software i set up the "open and close all of my windows with the key fob" including the sun roof

it will do complete air bag diagnostics. it is the best and cheapest thing you can get

http://www.resettools.com/bmw_scanner_1.4.0

I found mine for $50

Last edited by glhx; 10-24-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #56
bmwknightm3

My Ride: Smg M3 2002
this fix worked for me, i swapped the whole seatbelt unit from my other set of seats and cleared out the code and now i'm back in business! thanks!
bmwknightm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #57
DaNewGuyWA

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
Thumbs Up Great Collective Work--One Addition

I missed the .pdfs, which probably would have saved me a little headache had I read them. Anyway, I appreciate everybody contributing to this comprehensive thread. I was going to put some extra pictures in here, but I saw what was needed under the .pdfs. What I will say is that it's better not to disconnect your battery until after you get your seat unbolted. That way, you can still move the seat forward and back in order to get at the bolts and nuts necessary to remove the seat. Just make sure you DO disconnect before you unplug your seat.

Great job everybody!
DaNewGuyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #58
glhx

My light is back on after about 6 months after cleaning the pre tensioner connectors. I'm replacing the harness with the OEM one. I want to get the bypass cable.......which is a pre cut cable that splices into the regular cable. This makes for better resistance and less corrosion. Look at www.real OEM.com and it will show you repair cables. That is the problems with this. Too much resistance in the wire

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES163854/

The link above goes to the updated cable that bypasses the seat belt tensioner wires for better resistance.

Real OEM page showing the cable.....its the top one
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=61&fg=10

Last edited by glhx; 02-25-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #59
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
I believe using the BMW Pa soft scanner, in 15 seconds I can have that thing corrected with a few clicks of the mouse. Well, I guess you can say it can be turned off, then delete the errors out of the air bag module and be done with it. just so long as that damn holds you in your seat and prevents you from being ejected too far out of range from the air bag blowing up in your face, you should be ok. Plus seat belts aren't for safety. Its just there so you don't get tickets from cops.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 02-25-2013 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361785811
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #60
glhx

For what BMW scanner 1.4.2 costs you can't go wrong.

Why would anyone ever again buy a peak scanner

Its so convenient to push my door lock button on the key fob 1 time to unlock both doors instead of like 3 times to get the passenger side unlocked.

And even cooler to use the key fob to open and close my sun roof and windows from 100 feet away.

And I use it for diagnostics on my air bag, brakes, maf, abs so far it has probably saved me thousands of dollars in diagnostic work.

I went to a mechanic in town who can work on my car
He charged me $70 to turn the light off. My light has turned on at least 100 times since last year. Do to the resistance in the wire. I wiggle the wire and turn the light off. For 3 months.

I'm finally replacing the harness with the oe one and not the repair cable. Had to replace all suspension or I would have dropped $50 for the repair cable.