E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #61
emmm_three

My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Mine just came on recently after being in hibernation for the winter.
Is this a common thing for us? Mine is a 2004 330ci.
Also is this a safety thing now and my airbags won't work?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #62
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Was your battery dead?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #63
emmm_three

My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Was your battery dead?
nope battery was fine, car started up instantly
Old 03-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #64
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Question is......why did it come on. Did you read the codes. Could be any number of things. The seat belt pre tension wire could do it. If that wire is even angled wrong at this age it does it.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #65
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Ive been having some airbag light issues as well but I also have the seat belt light on constant. and my radio flickering on/off.... anyone else experience this??
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #66
NumbaOneNewb

One way the airbag light comes on is if you disconnect the positive terminal on battery. Flickering radio could be related. What have you recently done to your car?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #67
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
I did play arou d with my seats as I tried to replace the leather seat skin. I didnt disconnect the battety. Just unplugged tge harness from the seats.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #68
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
Quote:
I believe using the BMW Pa soft scanner, in 15 seconds I can have that thing corrected with a few clicks of the mouse. Well, I guess you can say it can be turned off, then delete the errors out of the air bag module and be done with it.
Are you saying that with BMW Scanner, you can completely disable the airbag fault codes from triggering the airbag light?

I tried clearing codes with it, but because the underlying issues are still present, the SRS system immediately regenerates the codes since it finds the issues still present and triggers the warning light:

Hex..Dec...Description
01....001...Driver's airbag, stage 1, resistance too low
0B....011...Battery safety terminal 1, resistance too low
02....002...Driver's belt tensioner, resistance too high
0D....013...Driver's airbag, sgate 2, resistance too low

As you can see, I've got a few issues to deal with, but I'm going to tackle the belt tensioner first since that is the most common issue, trying the OEM repair cable.
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #69
glhx

That might fix all the problems. The light cannot be completely disabled. Only the underlying problems being fixed will stop it from coming back. Work through 1 at a time
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #70
Augster

That's what I'm inclined to believe, but what NumbaOneNewb implied was that there is something with BMW Scanner that can completely ignore air bag faults as triggering the warning light. My gut feeling was "no" but wanted further clarification from him.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #71
jwedd

My Ride: 1999 323i Sedan
I've been dealing with the airbag light for 2-3 months now on my '99 323i, code coming up driver's pre-tensioner and won't clear. Finally had a couple hours to test the wiring and resistance through the pyrotechnic device.

I found something very strange, at least to me anyway. The yellow receptacle, seat side, where the two wires come in from the tensioner, has a metal cross connect in the receptacle so that the two wires to the pyro actually test out as a single wire. I can take the wires out and each tests about 0.4 ohms; when I check them together, also 0.4 ohms.

Does anyone know what the cross connect is supposed to do? It just shorts out the two terminals in the receptacle, contrary to anything I can think of. The airbag module is likely reading just a dead short, no resistance period. But the metal piece is definitely designed to fit in that spot, it wasn't some kind of quickie fixit someone did.

Last edited by jwedd; 07-15-2013 at 11:34 PM.
jwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #72
SocratesRising

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Your ignition switch is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
Ive been having some airbag light issues as well but I also have the seat belt light on constant. and my radio flickering on/off.... anyone else experience this??
Have your ignition switch checked those symptoms tell me it's bad. If you are handy change it yourself.
SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #73
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedd View Post
I've been dealing with the airbag light for 2-3 months now on my '99 323i, code coming up driver's pre-tensioner and won't clear. Finally had a couple hours to test the wiring and resistance through the pyrotechnic device.

I found something very strange, at least to me anyway. The yellow receptacle, seat side, where the two wires come in from the tensioner, has a metal cross connect in the receptacle so that the two wires to the pyro actually test out as a single wire. I can take the wires out and each tests about 0.4 ohms; when I check them together, also 0.4 ohms.

Does anyone know what the cross connect is supposed to do? It just shorts out the two terminals in the receptacle, contrary to anything I can think of. The airbag module is likely reading just a dead short, no resistance period. But the metal piece is definitely designed to fit in that spot, it wasn't some kind of quickie fixit someone did.
I have this exact same issue. I've replaced both the harness AND tensioner with brand new OEM. Light still on.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #74
SocratesRising

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
I know this is a long shot - but do me a favor. Check the battery compartment for water and report back. Perhaps you have a leak coming in where the trunk channels water down past the tail light and water is getting in there throwing your electrical out of whack.

Worth a shot....even though it is a long one...
SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #75
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
I know this is a long shot - but do me a favor. Check the battery compartment for water and report back. Perhaps you have a leak coming in where the trunk channels water down past the tail light and water is getting in there throwing your electrical out of whack.

Worth a shot....even though it is a long one...
i don't know about the other guy; I don't have water in my battery compartment.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #76
NumbaOneNewb

Guys. Just use pa soft and go into the srs module, equipment, and uncheck the box next to that corresponding tensioner and be done.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #77
Augster

Quote:
Guys. Just use pa soft and go into the srs module, equipment, and uncheck the box next to that corresponding tensioner and be done.
Hmm. So, you are advocating disabling a key crash survivability component permanently? The seat belt tensioner, from what I've gathered, tightens the seat belt during a front/side impact to ensure the occupant remains securely in the seat.

I haven't delved into that portion of BMW Scanner to see if indeed you can disable said component, but for many, I don't believe such a solution is the desired permanent solution so the underlying cause for the fault still needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Augster; 07-31-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #78
NumbaOneNewb

Oh. I just thought you guys were looking for a quick fix to pass smog or something. After you pass, you can always have that red light shine in your eye to remind you theres a problem with your car. Perhaps you should go into that module and check what is checked off. I noticed something weird on my car through ncs expert. The srs settings show that my seat buckle shows its monitoring only the current but not the voltage. I would've figured it would have both. Maybe yours aren't checked or something. Go check it out. You can even test what I told you to do. Like I said, once you're done you can always undo it. Oh, and a tip. Once youve made any changes, clear any error code and exit the srs module. Whenever you go into it, the airbag light starts blinking.

What do you have to lose? At the moment, all the time and money you're throwing at your lifesaving device has provided no results so technically, you're missing one of your nine lives.

You know what I've noticed? If you turn it off, clear the error code, and turn it back on, sometimes it helps reset it

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 07-31-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #79
glhx

There are 2 wiring harnesses that fix this problem. One is the wiring harness you have supplied with the car. The harness was around $15 for me to replace mine and it worked fine. The wires are too thin for the system. When they get corrosion after a while the build up puts resistance in there and causes the light to come on. This harness will cause the problem again over time. In replacing mine I know the problem will come back.

Now for the other harness. This harness is $50 and not easy to find as there is little information on it directly. You have to know it exists to hunt it down. Tis harness is a bypass harness with thicker wires. It's more complicated to install but once you know about it there are instructions if you dig. Someone at bmw told me they used to put them n years ago when the cars were new. Ecs tuning has this part and may solve your problem. I posted in a thread somewhere with all the links to the information. I may have even started the thread. It would have been January through June or so of 2012. Ill look later for the links. Seat belt tensioner bypass harness might be a good place to do a search

If this is the oem repair cable you spoke of then I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited by glhx; 08-01-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #80
jwedd

My Ride: 1999 323i Sedan
that's a no for water in the battery area for me too.

I just brought it back from an independent BMW repair shop. They have all the software from Germany and here is what he found:

Control module is showing a fault and can't be cleared;
Driver's seat buckle showing a fault;
Passenger seat buckle showing a fault;
Passenger seat weight sensor showing a fault.

He said the process first starts with a new control module, then the outlying sensors. He suspected at least $2000 to get it all corrected. Since the car is only a $4000-5000 car he suggested just driving it instead of throwing money at it.

I may pick up a control module on ebay, but it looks like for the time being that I'll be living with the light. I do have the B800, to check and clear, but it didn't do anything with my module in the failed mode.

John
jwedd is offline   Reply With Quote