E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #21
DBLAZE

My Ride: is Fern Green!
Send a message via AIM to DBLAZE
It actually sickens me to think that all of these people on this forum are running less than 91 octane. Please let everyone know when you are ready to sell your car; and clearly post that you have been running that B.S. gas in it for every fill-up. I bet you no one would want it unless you were offering a crazy discount!

Dunbar...You have an 04 330 ZHP! I can't believe that you would put the worst gas you can get in such a beautiful machine like that. As the others have stated...the link you posted says to run on manufacturers specifications and BMW manual says 91+ octane; so you just bit your own tongue on that one....

You guys are crazy for trying to save money this way...Just sell the Bimmer and get an Accord then...It will leave money left in your pocket and you can put ANY gas you want in it!!!

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Fern Green 323ci - SOLD
DBLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
Dunbar

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
Like I said lots of misinformation and ignorance out there on this subject. I prefer scientific testing to anecdotes and folklore. But hey, it's your money, waste it how you please...
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #23
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
Hate to tell you guys this but I have been running regular gas in my car for the last 160,000 miles and yet to have a problem. MY car currently has 200,000 miles and runs like a champ. It purrs like a kitten no pinging either.

Oh by the way I get 32mpg on the highway and 24-6 in mixed driving.

I have tried premium gas weeks at a time and saw no noticeable difference in the performance or engine noise or mileage.

Anyone who says your engine will run like crap and will get horrible gas mileage is full of crraaaaaap. If you are willing to pay 15-30 cents extra per gallon to get 1-2 extra hp out of your engine by all means go ahead and spend your money. I am a car nut and I love the speed and power but if I cant feel a difference, I am not blowing my money away. If you think that your precious BMW engine is designed for 91 octane and will crap out with anything less, try going to other countries. BMW sells worldwide and you would be lucky to get a quality gas with 91 octane in other countries. BMW designs their engines to run in all countries with less than ideal gas quality. 87 octane here would be a top notch gas in some other countries.

Again you can argue until the forum database craps out but in the end I have the proof in my garage. 200,000 miles with regular gas, NO ENGINE PROBLEMS, NO KNOCKING AND GREAT PERFORMANCE SO FAR. You can't argue with facts. As far as I am concerned Premium gas is nothing but a marketing gimmick for cars less than a Porsche. It is just a way of making BMW, LEXUS, MB owners feel special. Especially when you take in the fact that Lexus and Toyota camry uses the same engine and Lexus requires premium and Camry regular.

Unless you have high compression engine, running super/turbo charger or have a chip installed Premium gas will only save you mileage by reducing the weight of your car by lighting your wallet.

I remember reading a test for Premium gas making extra 9-11hp for a Porsche 911S which has a very high compression engine. If it only makes 10hp for a 350hp car that has 11:8 compression ratio, do you really think it will add 5-10 hp in your 220hp cars? You are lucky if you get 2 hp which you can gain by getting rid 10-20 lbs of junk in your car(buy a light battery, remove junk from the truck, better remove the full spare tire) .

Bright-Red 323ci 5sp. Sports + Premium + Homemade K&N intake box. --> DIY Instructions
Also for single fanatics try My 100% Free dating service - TownsBestSingles.com
New House Tool 4 in 1 Mortgage & Tax Savings Calculator for home buyers

Last edited by gokcer; 04-23-2008 at 05:50 PM.
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #24
Joe Trojan

My Ride: '02 325ci
I put in 91. My readings say 387 but I probably average around 320 depending on how conservative I drive.

Temporary Sig
oh hai, i upgraded your ride.
Joe Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
sean96gsr

My Ride: '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mikes7 View Post
I should have calculated the difference when I pumped 87 Costco gas into my 335i loaner. Should be getting another one about next week during my Inspection II. I'll subscribe and let you know
Dude, someone is going to buy that car someday, don't be a dick. The car has a turbo so it needs the premium to help fight off detonation ANYWAY, and to compound that I'm SURE you're beating on it. They were nice enough to give you a loaner, put ****ing 91 in it. I hope they drop a handful of nuts and bolts into your oil fill hole.

Currently running: 330i ZHP w/ Dr.Vanos Kit & UUC TSE3

Last edited by sean96gsr; 04-23-2008 at 06:07 PM.
sean96gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #26
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
R E A L L Y

My question did not have anything to do with the price of gas

or the octane.

I simply wanted to know if you got better gas milage out of the premium grade over the mid or regular grades.

That's all. Not engine problems, HP loss, etc.....

And if I could'nt afford gas........I would'nt be driving ANYTHING.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #27
04e46conv

My Ride: 04 E46 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean96gsr View Post
Dude, someone is going to buy that car someday, don't be a dick. The car has a turbo so it needs the premium to help fight off detonation ANYWAY, and to compound that I'm SURE you're beating on it. They were nice enough to give you a loaner, put ****ing 91 in it. I hope they drop a handful of nuts and bolts into your oil fill hole.
+1 You can only hope that what goes around comes around..

2004 /// M3 Convertible

Factory: Nav | Xenon | HK Sound System
Mods: Euro Programing For Remote Top ( Up & Down )| Hard Wired V1 | Hoen Fog's | Painted Reflectors | DICE HD Tuner W/ IPOD Cable | Dinan Short Shifter
04e46conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #28
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
R E A L L Y

or the octane.

I simply wanted to know if you got better gas milage out of the premium grade over the mid or regular grades.

R E A L L Y

How does grade of gas have nothing to do with octane? How old are you?

Your question was answered.

It depends on how you drive. If you put your engine under high load, it will want to detonate and the knock sensors will tell the computer to retard the timing resulting in lowered efficiency and power.

If you're cruising on the highway under low load, then 87 should result in the same efficiency as 93 octane.

Learn to

Last edited by 328iBMW; 04-23-2008 at 06:34 PM.
328iBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #29
Darkfox3889

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Darkfox3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean96gsr View Post
+1
super dick move
Darkfox3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #30
samBROchill330i

My Ride: Dinan 330i
This topic has been relentlessly beaten to death.

I'm a fan of the "If you can't afford the extra $3 at the tank, why'd you get a BMW?"

But I also can see the "Even if I drive a BMW, I still shouldn't throw money away."

My personal thoughts:

Its an extra $3 a tank...twice a month for me.

$6 a month, $72 a year...granted gas prices freeze, which they wont. But numbers will be similar

I'll put premium and have the peace of mind.
Wheels: Staggered 19" V710s on T1Rs
samBROchill330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #31
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I'm lucky, here in Ohio all the stations have 93, and some have 94. I have never used anything but that gas, though my friend's Mercedes runs like crap on regular and is very smooth on premium. I mean, literally, the idle is unstable, it chokes on acceleration, everything. This was the one time he put 87 in on accident (the station's buttons were reverse from all the other ones around here and he wasn't paying attention), and he makes sure not to anymore. We had to go get that "high power octane booster" and put like 6 cans in the gas tank for it to even get somewhat better. They say octane booster doesn't work, but I guess 6 cans did something.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #32
DBLAZE

My Ride: is Fern Green!
Send a message via AIM to DBLAZE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokcer View Post
Hate to tell you guys this but I have been running regular gas in my car for the last 160,000 miles and yet to have a problem. MY car currently has 200,000 miles and runs like a champ. It purrs like a kitten no pinging either...
This is true, but your car has not been running at its OPTIMUM level for the last 160k miles! Your computer is retarding your timing and giving you less power and overall worse efficiency...You seem like the type of person that will cut corners to save a buck ALL THE TIME. Like for instance...you have a custom K&N instead of buying a proper kit (which in all fairness is a good install judging from the pics). You also have like 20 advertisements in your sig which you are probably trying to get kick-backs off of to give you more money...So your advice will be taken with a grain of salt (or not taken at all in my instance)!

BUT, to each their own...I know gas; and I know there is a difference in the feel of almost any car from 87 octane to 93 octane (which I use all the time before and after installing the shark injector).

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Fern Green 323ci - SOLD

Last edited by DBLAZE; 04-23-2008 at 07:34 PM.
DBLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #33
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
The higher the price of gas the less the 20-25 cent difference there is between regular and premium gas.

As for using regular, go ahead and use it if you have no choice, it won't hurt your car in anyway.

But if you are doing it to save money, then don't. You won't save any money in the life of a tank of gas. When you factor the decrease in mpg, you will break even at best, and get less hp while doing it.

Use premium, you won't save any money going with regular.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #34
SuperMario

My Ride: BMW 325I SEDAN
come on...you drive a bmw and you can't afford gas? You bought a BMW...if you can't afford it ...get a Hyundai or yugo.
SuperMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #35
njoni007

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2
BMW is programed to run on 91 or better. This is where you get the best gas millage when you average driving habits/highway/local.

Having said that ECU can also sense the fuel type based on various sesor information...but takes little time to learn. Running on regular and driving on highway (cruising) it has no effect in performance or millage that would be greatly noticed...but when you want to pass that slow Semi and you need to shift down, the engine will consume more gas to make up the needed power.

As for demage to the engine...none whatsoever. Just because it is "premium" it does not mean it is refined better...these are just octane ratings.

The car that is programed to run under octane 91 it will perform better gas millage, the car that is programed for over 91 (or whatever rating) it will performed better at that point as it does not have to "learn" what fuel is running on.

The only damage you will do with fuel to your BMW is if you put gas that has more than 10% ethanol. Up to 10% ethanol BMW engines are fine with it. BMW states that if you put more than 10% ethanol there are certain components that will not work well with 90% ethanol (probably seals, sensors, fuel pump components) but it says otherwise the ECU would adapt itself if it wasn't for those components at the expense of burning little more fuel (less power with ethanol).
njoni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #36
winter_baby

My Ride: e46
speaking from an experience, i definitely would not recommend you doing it nor to anyone else.

here is why... i had used mid-grade gas for about 6 months, and after a while, fuel filter went bad and it cost me almost 300 to replace it. and i'm sure that you can do the math to figure out whether i saved or wasted $ because of it.

2003 330i Titanium Silver / Black - [Sold]
2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
2001 330cic Metallic Steel Gray / Gray - [Sold]
2000 Z3 2.8 Topaz Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]
1997 Z3 1.8 Atlanta Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]

Last edited by winter_baby; 04-23-2008 at 10:11 PM.
winter_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #37
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter_baby View Post
speaking from an experience, i definitely would not recommend you doing it nor to anyone else.

here is why... i had used mid-grade gas for about 6 months, and after a while, fuel filter went bad and it cost me almost 300 to replace it. and i'm sure that you can do the math to figure out whether i saved or wasted $ because of it.
OT: You paid $300 for a new FUEL FILTER??? The part is like $30 and can be done by an independent mechanic in less than half an hour, so that's like $25-35 in labor. WOW.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #38
nfafan

My Ride: 325xi
Does anyone know which national gas station chains sell 91 octane? All I can find in West PA is 87 Regular, 89 Silver/Premium, and 93 Gold/Ultra.

We used to have Sunoco's here that sold Ultra in 94, but now it is just 93. I used Amoco Gold (93) exclusively in my 99 Maxima, but occasionally put Sunoco Ultra 94 in it. I am sure it made a seat of the pants difference.

Now I use either Amoco 93 or Sunoco 93 in the Maxi and '04 325XI - thus the question; Where can I find 91 in West PA? Thanks!
nfafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #39
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
come on...you drive a bmw and you can't afford gas? You bought a BMW...if you can't afford it ...get a Hyundai or yugo.
read before posting...if you had you would have found a reply by the OP that reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
R E A L L Y

or the octane.

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #40
Echo3

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I usually use 89/91 (91 is the highest here I can get)...although the sticker behind the gas lid says minimum octane my car can use is 87...
Echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote