E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #61
323iINt.o
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,160
My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVert View Post
I know the thread is old but this post made me laugh Who the hell wastes their money on racing gas?
i think it was a joke lol
__________________


NEED SMOKED CORNERS AND MARKERS, PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME!
323iINt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #62
02m3csl325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 2,142
My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8URAMG View Post
Guys if you don't use 91 or higher you car is gona knock.My dad always told me even in my 94 celica I always used prenium the spark plugs will always be cleaner and you get more power out of the motor also depending how you drive the mpg will increase also but honestly if you drive a bmw and you can't affored its gas then get rid of it if you take care of her she will take care of you its like drinking vinegar or water like come on people for $4 more to fill up trust me its worth it I rather pay that then maintence when the car breaks.
Lol only used 85 in my 325 project and it doesn't knock, no problems what so ever and i still average around 28-30mpg 90% city, 10% hgwy. You guys crack me up with this sh*t. You honestly think that BMW wouldn't compensate for the octane raiting and adjust accordingly? These damn cars are smart enough to drive themselves. BMW recommends premium on all models, even the bottom of the line 318 because they're BMW, it's the ultimate driving machine. They also recommend using only factory approved performance upgrades because others may "harm" your vehicle. Blah blah blah, you can argue it all you want but an octane difference of aprox. 6 is not going to cause any issues with a non-performance engine. I mean honestly if you're going to argue this crap between regular and premium, premium is crap compaired to race fuel so why don't you run that, I mean seriously.

If you want the best for your baby then yea, fill up with the best but don't throw out statements that A) are incorrect and B) if you are going to argue your point, back it up with proven, scientific facts.

Oh and yea, this thread is old.

EDIT:
Come to think about it, you know what I would honestly love to see, and maybe I will do this, but I want to see a dyno run on regular and then another run on premium and see if it even makes an actuall whp difference in an NA motor.
__________________

Last edited by 02m3csl325; 01-08-2009 at 05:04 PM.
02m3csl325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #63
Jelly335
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: L.I. NY/ CF FL
Posts: 5,541
My Ride: 2001 bmw 330I
Send a message via AIM to Jelly335
my father has a 323cic and he puts regular. his car runs great and strong. with 120k i believe.I dont think it will harm the car
__________________

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269710/1
-Jeremy
Jelly335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #64
JoeVert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 742
My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323iINt.o View Post
i think it was a joke lol
sadly it could be true, I know douches that put racing fuel in their rsx's, SRT-4's ect because they thought it was the ultimate performance car and deserved nothing less and they would lose races with anything less. The way people talk about their e46's I don't doubt some indiots put in 100+ octane regularly.
__________________
-JoeVert
JoeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #65
KME
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 594
My Ride: 01' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUDntLuvMeH8Me View Post
i have ran 89 octane religiously since i obtained my vehicle and never once has there been any issues with a ping or knock. i get nearly 510 miles out of every tank aswell. so 89 has my endorsement.
Same here, I use 89
__________________
KME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #66
02m3csl325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 2,142
My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVert View Post
sadly it could be true, I know douches that put racing fuel in their rsx's, SRT-4's ect because they thought it was the ultimate performance car and deserved nothing less and they would lose races with anything less. The way people talk about their e46's I don't doubt some indiots put in 100+ octane regularly.
Lol, I was one of those douches that ran 110 in my SRT but only on drag days. I dynoed it on pump gas though

Yes, I think this sad statement may be true. BMW's are nice cars, but unless you're running FI or an M, the engines are still just engines that run on the same fuel as all the other engines out there, hate to break it to ya. They are tunned a lot better and put together a lot better but inside they function the same and fuel is fuel.
__________________

Last edited by 02m3csl325; 01-08-2009 at 05:32 PM.
02m3csl325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #67
Attfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 45
My Ride: 2000 323i
Where I'm at, premium is 1.249 per litre for premium (91), and 1.119 per litre for regular (87) (this works out to $4.727 per gallon for premium and $4.235 per gallon for regular).

Anyways... this is nearly a 10 dollar difference per tank (that's CAD, mind you, but our dollar is basically on par with the greenback these days).

What is more, at the local "no name" gas station, regular is still 99.9 cents a litre ($3.78 per gallon). If I filled with this gas rather than the brand name premium, the savings are actually closer to $20 a tank. If I fill the tank 2.5 times per month (estimating... could be more, could be less) that works out to a savings of $600 per year.

$600 isn't much, but it isn't pennies either. Let's just say that if I lost $600, it wouldn't break the bank, but I wouldn't be very happy about it either.

I hear many people say "don't buy a BMW if you can't afford the premium gas", but the thing is, just because you own a BMW doesn't mean you shouldn't still be scrupulous about where your cash is going and whether or not you're buying something because of quite probable and disasterous real world consequences or simply because you're scared, misinformed or desire to fit in with the crowd of people accusing you of the traitorous act of cheaping out on your "Bimmer".

BTW, someone said if you can't afford premium gas, you should buy a hyundai... well, my spouse drives an 07 hyundai accent hatch and it actually costs us nearly the same in gas costs. It's a disgustingly cheap vehicle, so it figures that it's also ridiculously inefficient for a small car. 10-12L/100KM in the city, whereas the 323i ranges about 11-13L/100KM city.

What we actually should be fighting over is the gasolines additive and detergent packages. In a car that can self-adjust it's ignition timing, it's absurd to be arguing about the octane, especially since I've yet to see any cautionary tales of E46 failure that might be attributable to the gasoline's octane being lower than 91.
Attfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #68
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 813
My Ride: 2010 SL550


Seriously Attfield, if you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't be driving a Hyundai, much less a BMW. If $600/year is a big deal to you, that you're even figuring into your budget... you need financial help.

Quote:
just because you own a BMW doesn't mean you shouldn't still be scrupulous about where your cash is going and whether or not you're buying something because of quite probable and disasterous real world consequences or simply because you're scared, misinformed or desire to fit in with the crowd of people accusing you of the traitorous act of cheaping out on your "Bimmer".
And if you're going to resurrect an old thread... at least have a valid argument or comment to make. I can't make sense of the above. Can anyone help out here?

Quote:
my spouse drives an 07 hyundai accent hatch and it actually costs us nearly the same in gas costs. It's a disgustingly cheap vehicle, so it figures that it's also ridiculously inefficient for a small car. 10-12L/100KM in the city, whereas the 323i ranges about 11-13L/100KM city
You can't be serious. Tell your spouse to take off the handbrake when he/she drives it, this should solve your problem.

Your BMW requires 91 octane gas. End of discussion.

Last edited by BoogetyBoogety; 01-06-2011 at 05:28 PM.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #69
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
I run 98 octane and get like 450 to a tank.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #70
Patrice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3
My Ride: 323CI 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attfield View Post
Where I'm at, premium is 1.249 per litre for premium (91), and 1.119 per litre for regular (87) (this works out to $4.727 per gallon for premium and $4.235 per gallon for regular).

Anyways... this is nearly a 10 dollar difference per tank (that's CAD, mind you, but our dollar is basically on par with the greenback these days).

What is more, at the local "no name" gas station, regular is still 99.9 cents a litre ($3.78 per gallon). If I filled with this gas rather than the brand name premium, the savings are actually closer to $20 a tank. If I fill the tank 2.5 times per month (estimating... could be more, could be less) that works out to a savings of $600 per year.

$600 isn't much, but it isn't pennies either. Let's just say that if I lost $600, it wouldn't break the bank, but I wouldn't be very happy about it either.

I hear many people say "don't buy a BMW if you can't afford the premium gas", but the thing is, just because you own a BMW doesn't mean you shouldn't still be scrupulous about where your cash is going and whether or not you're buying something because of quite probable and disasterous real world consequences or simply because you're scared, misinformed or desire to fit in with the crowd of people accusing you of the traitorous act of cheaping out on your "Bimmer".

BTW, someone said if you can't afford premium gas, you should buy a hyundai... well, my spouse drives an 07 hyundai accent hatch and it actually costs us nearly the same in gas costs. It's a disgustingly cheap vehicle, so it figures that it's also ridiculously inefficient for a small car. 10-12L/100KM in the city, whereas the 323i ranges about 11-13L/100KM city.

What we actually should be fighting over is the gasolines additive and detergent packages. In a car that can self-adjust it's ignition timing, it's absurd to be arguing about the octane, especially since I've yet to see any cautionary tales of E46 failure that might be attributable to the gasoline's octane being lower than 91.

thumbs up Dude, go Canada go
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #71
Dunbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 814
My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
I wish Mythbusters would put this one to rest...
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #72
Lusticles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 2,803
My Ride: 325Ci
I put 87 octane in my Audi once, after I had lost my wallet and was scraping pennies out from multiple crevices of my car to pay for gas. I ended up getting roughly 18mpg until I used premium again, as opposed to my 25/26mpg.
__________________
number one Audi Fan

Last edited by Lusticles; 01-06-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Lusticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #73
The_Stig89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 43
My Ride: 1995 M3
another thing some of you are not taking into consideration is your altitude.
__________________
The_Stig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #74
Attfield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 45
My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Seriously Attfield, if you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't be driving a Hyundai, much less a BMW. If $600/year is a big deal to you, that you're even figuring into your budget... you need financial help.
Alright. First off: You're a dick. The above comment was completely unwarranted. Second, you need to read the post again. Notice that I merely describe the costs associated with different octanes of gas. A simple collection of facts and not something that allows you to make value judgements on my financial situation (where did I even say it was factored into my budget??? I just ran the numbers to show people that the cost of premium vs. reg might not be as marginal as some have thought). At best you could say I have too much spare time at work. The closest I came to saying what you inferred was:
Quote:
$600 isn't much, but it isn't pennies either. Let's just say that if I lost $600, it wouldn't break the bank, but I wouldn't be very happy about it either.
So you're saying that if you lost $600 that you could have saved, you wouldn't give a damn? Do you heat your house with dollar bills too? I know you guys are running low on oil these days, but I had no idea it's this bad...

Deliberately overlooking my point to insert a personal attack is just petty. The point is: if you can save some bones, why not? $600 bucks almost buys me brand new pads and rotors twice over for front and rear. It's not as though we're strictly talking about nickles and dimes here...

Quote:
And if you're going to resurrect an old thread... at least have a valid argument or comment to make. I can't make sense of the above. Can anyone help out here?
Listen, it isn't my fault you're incapable of understanding a sentence with a thought complexity above the grade 4 level and more than a dozen syllables. I don't expect much, but I can only go so low.

To rephrase.... the problem with the response to the "gas question" is that you generally get two kinds of answers. Informed answers that state the facts of the matter: e.g. in most cases you can use 87 octane, but check your manual; the only real known consequences are that you may notice a negligible drop in performance/fuel economy. (this is all anyone is warranted to say without offering further evidence). And there are the uniformed answers that rely on guilt, fear and sometimes outright douchebaggery to make their point: e.g. "you're a cheapskate/don't drive a bimmer if you can't afford the gas"(guilt) and "your car will breakdown/explode/turn into a pumpkin if you use regular" (fear). Boogetyboogety is a good example of the last category (outright douchebaggery).

Quote:
You can't be serious. Tell your spouse to take off the handbrake when he/she drives it, this should solve your problem.

Your BMW requires 91 octane gas. End of discussion.
I am. 275 kms on 37 litres is 13.45L/100km. It's all heavy city and it's in cold weather/winter fuel. Car's an auto.

And no. You're just flat out fvcking wrong about the 91 octane requirement. It's doesn't "require" it anymore than I require a dickrub at the breakfast table in order to be productive at work.

Attfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #75
OrientBlau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,454
My Ride: 2003 330i
I honestly dont think I've used anything less than Premium in my 22 years of driving. It cost pennies more and provides better combustion. Why skimp.
__________________
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #76
Blunt Force Silvio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 47
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attfield View Post
And no. You're just flat out fvcking wrong about the 91 octane requirement. It's doesn't "require" it anymore than I require a dickrub at the breakfast table in order to be productive at work.


Just an interesting note on compression and < 91 fuels in relation to causing knocking and pinging:

R18A1
Found in: 2006+ Honda Civic
Compression: 10.5:1
Suggested Fuel: Regular

M54B25
Found in: 2001-2005 E46 325i/325xi
Compression: 10.5:1
Suggested Fuel: Premium

Last edited by Blunt Force Silvio; 01-26-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Blunt Force Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #77
shata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 439
My Ride: 00 328i , 06 330i
I think the bottom line is, If you want to use unleaded and thats in your budget drive honda/kia. If you want bmw,benz whatever comfort car then you are recommended to use premium cause thats how the engine was designed, With that said dont be a cheapo and make big deal out of 600$ year like guy above figured out. Your driving bmw for crying out loud...Its not that much now is it?
__________________

/// 2000 BMW 328I ///
shata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #78
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 813
My Ride: 2010 SL550
Ooooooo... I think I ticked Attfield off by being a dick (even if it took him 20 days to figure out I was insulting him, or to formulate an answer)...

Although I think it's cute he thinks I give a rat's ass what he thinks of me or my dickiness.

Thanks for playing, Attfield... Now, go put some 91 octane in your car, as the manufacturer recommends, good luck with your early-morning dickrubs, and have a nice day.


BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #79
Yungster12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24
My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
I wish Mythbusters would put this one to rest...
Amen to that.

Need to do the episode with a 330.

Marketing is a powerful tool.
Yungster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #80
scroades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 152
My Ride: 2005 330ci
Just goes to show you that some people should be driving BMW's and some shouldn't. $3 a tank, big freakin whoop. I make that in 5 minutes. Not too much to pay for peace of mind, especially when I plan on keeping her for a loooong time!

Rooted Drooiid 2
scroades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use