E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

View Poll Results: Which car would you purchase
New 2008 E92 M3 50 46.30%
Used 2006 E60 M5 58 53.70%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #21
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammojo View Post
If i had 55+k to spend on a car it would be a prosche - you can get a nice 997s used or even a 996 turbo and save the left over money. Those 2 are my 2 choices in 2 years
That would get you a new Z4 M Coupe.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
TonyluvSilvia

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
That would get you a new Z4 M Coupe.

But c'mon... 996turbo or 997S vs. M coupe?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #23
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Couple things wrong here.

1) it is SMG III
2) you CAN turn off DSC fully on the M5 with 6MT
How positive are you about DSC? Because last time I was at the track I was there with the co-owner of my local dealer and he was driving an M6 6 speed and I asked him about it and he confirmed everything I had read. Now, unless the DSC on the M5 & M6 are different, I dont think you can FULLY disable it. You can turn it off and allow wheel spin, but it won't allow much lateral movement.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
Emanuel

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyluvSilvia View Post
But c'mon... 996turbo or 997S vs. M coupe?
Sure. I had the same options a few months ago, and I picked the M Coupe. I looked at the 996 twin turbo, 997 (not the S - the 997S is still kind of steep actually), and the Cayman S. To me, the M Coupe is much better-looking, more fun to drive, and less expensive to buy and run.

Some of my decision flows from the fact that I've already owned 3 Porsches. There's a bit of BTDT, less of that "Ooh, it's a Porsche" awe. Lots of people get swept up by that (lots never get past it, really). And the new cars are completely tamed. The old Porsches took skill and practice to drive well - now, the car itself will make you look like you know what you're doing. You've got to get into the GT cars to get the sort of visceral charge you get from the Z4M right off the bat.

All that said, while I'm happy with the car, I'm less happy with BMW. The Z4M could have been a legend from the get-go, a sensation along the lines of the R8, and they dropped the ball somewhat - it's missing some minor tweaks that would let it touch greatness (wich I'm adding, btw). Even so, it's a great, under-rated sports car. I seriously think I'll still be enjoying it 10 years from now, maybe more.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
Cocoa

My Ride: M3 CS
unless the m5 comes out with m-dct, i'd get the m3 with m-dct. the transmission makes the car significantly faster.
Cocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
Docc99

My Ride: 01 330ci
Just go find the video of the Remus on the e92. The decision will be clear
Heres one I found

Heres one without exhaust

Last edited by Docc99; 04-25-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Docc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #27
TonyluvSilvia

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
Sure. I had the same options a few months ago, and I picked the M Coupe. I looked at the 996 twin turbo, 997 (not the S - the 997S is still kind of steep actually), and the Cayman S. To me, the M Coupe is much better-looking, more fun to drive, and less expensive to buy and run.

Some of my decision flows from the fact that I've already owned 3 Porsches. There's a bit of BTDT, less of that "Ooh, it's a Porsche" awe. Lots of people get swept up by that (lots never get past it, really). And the new cars are completely tamed. The old Porsches took skill and practice to drive well - now, the car itself will make you look like you know what you're doing. You've got to get into the GT cars to get the sort of visceral charge you get from the Z4M right off the bat.

All that said, while I'm happy with the car, I'm less happy with BMW. The Z4M could have been a legend from the get-go, a sensation along the lines of the R8, and they dropped the ball somewhat - it's missing some minor tweaks that would let it touch greatness (wich I'm adding, btw). Even so, it's a great, under-rated sports car. I seriously think I'll still be enjoying it 10 years from now, maybe more.
great point... just to clarify however, I wasn't referring to the badge or the marque, but rather the driving experience. Admittedly, I've had little seat time in the Z4M but in comparison to the 997S, it felt less powerful and precise (as it should considering the price delta). If having a new car is a must, the Z4M is not a bad alternative.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #28
Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyluvSilvia View Post
Admittedly, I've had little seat time in the Z4M but in comparison to the 997S, it felt less powerful and precise (as it should considering the price delta).
I'd agree with that diagnosis - the 997S has another 20hp and comes into its torque peak a bit lower. In fact, all of the Porsches feel more precise - one of the things about Porsches is that the empty front end allows for scalpel-like precision in your steering.

IMO, BMW flubbed the Z4M on 3 points that woiuld have made it a serious, effective competitor to the 911. The car should have come with CSL or ZCP wheels, better tires than the stock Contis, and the 3.91 "Motorsport" gears should be standard, rather than the 3.62 used in the M3. The Z4M is close to the base 997 in most specs, but the 997 has a 3.88 dfinal drive while the Z4Ms come with a 3.62. The 3.91 gears, combined with the higher redline of the S54, would move the the Z4M ahead in performance, if not refinement, using parts they have lying around.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #29
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by myksbmw View Post
I wanted to get everyone's opinion. Seeing that the new BMW M3's sticker price is right around $70,000. I see that number and a used 2006 M5 comes to mind as well. What would you rather buy with your money, New M3 or used M5? Why?
base is 55k well equipped 65k 70k maxxed to the top

I say the M3 just because it's hot and new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Last edited by Rooz; 04-25-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #30
Docc99

My Ride: 01 330ci
^^
Docc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
How positive are you about DSC? Because last time I was at the track I was there with the co-owner of my local dealer and he was driving an M6 6 speed and I asked him about it and he confirmed everything I had read. Now, unless the DSC on the M5 & M6 are different, I dont think you can FULLY disable it. You can turn it off and allow wheel spin, but it won't allow much lateral movement.
http://www.m5board.com/news.php?id=73

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #32
2001BMW330xi

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
matt's right ^^

you can disable DSC on 6MT M5 and M6s - at first you couldn't, but BMW came out with an update allowing it.

go for the M5, you won't regret it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #33
bmwaudiomw

My Ride: BMW 528I, Benz, SUV.
Send a message via AIM to bmwaudiomw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nMd View Post
e92 !! Nothing like a new car.... I love mine!
nice whip, how do you like the NEW m3?!?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #34
///MIAM3
Banned

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3
Go with the M5. The M3 is weak and ugly.
///MIAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #35
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIAM3 View Post
Go with the M5. [/b]The M3 is weak[/b] and ugly.
Weak? Compared to the M5, sure, but it's far from weak in its own realm.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #36
wiedrick2005

My Ride: POS
Such a tough call. I made it 38-38 voting for the m5. I heard an m5 with esseinmann exhaust take it all the way to redline going over a bridge and I a little. Such an amazing sound.
wiedrick2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #37
SBREM2

My Ride: 2000 328CI
What are you going to use the car for? Two cars, two different animals.

SBREM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #38
ThisFlyGuy
OEM ///Member

My Ride: A Car
by now, i'm sure he made his decision already.............lol
Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
op are you really in the market or just speculating? Financing? New vs old and non cpo'd make a difference

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #40
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Weak? Compared to the M5, sure, but it's far from weak in its own realm.
Humor him; he's part of the old e46 loyalists.

Basically if it's not his car so it sucks.

E92 m3s are better than the old e46ers

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote