E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #21
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter99 View Post
Good to know. Well if this can be accomplished with headers......

I was afraid of that. Well, it sounds like it's going to be a trial & error scenario on the headers passing emissions. Being that I just registered my plates, I have some time to get them and hopefully figure out any issues relating to codes (see above quote.)
you could also keep your stock manifolds and get really good at swapping back and forth once a year.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
you could also keep your stock manifolds and get really good at swapping back and forth once a year.
If I had the space to accomplish it, but you are right...it would be good practice.

Alright, sounds like Headers, Cams, Diff will provide the greatest impacts. I'll weigh on those items.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
If I had the space to accomplish it, but you are right...it would be good practice.

Alright, sounds like Headers, Cams, Diff will provide the greatest impacts. I'll weigh on those items.
the stock manifolds can easily fit in a closet
Old 04-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
performancenut

My Ride: AA s/c 3 series
Quote:
I think there's no way they would pass emissions tests here in NC. I'll have to ask around to guys with racing cats (on non BMW cars) to see how in the heck they get away with it, lol.

No problems passing emission testing for last 2 years including headers and high-flow cats here in Eastern NC. Only the OBDII computer check needs to pass; they don't really enforce visual checks around here.

"Sell the 323 and buy an M, it's not worth it"
performancenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #25
Nemesis330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci & X5 3.0D
The stock headers are very restrictive, so even with ebay headers and 300cell instead of 200cell cats you would have a gain, and decreased temperatures in the engine bay.

Official Vredestein Press image showing propper tire mounting.
Nemesis330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #26
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by performancenut View Post
No problems passing emission testing for last 2 years including headers and high-flow cats here in Eastern NC. Only the OBDII computer check needs to pass; they don't really enforce visual checks around here.
Well, good stuff to know!

Is there a Db level the exhaust must meet?

I may have to head east and check out your supercharger setup.