E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
plop90

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sport
Keyhole Rear Camera: Possible Problem

I would like to install a rear keyhole camera and would like to do it as cleanly as possible, so I would like to do the keyhole camera install.

However, I have a Sedan, with no throughloading or folding rear seats, and I don't have a trunk release button in my drivers footwell.

If I was to be working on the car, and I disconnect the battery, how would I get into the trunk if I closed it?

I couldn't use the keyhole because it would be gone - replaced by a camera! I couldn't use the trunk release button on the trunk, as there would be no power to activate it. I couldn't use the keyfob remote, as, again, no power! And I don't have the trunk release button, but even if I did, no power! And I couldn't get into the trunk from the back, as I don't have folding seats.

Am I missing another trunk release option? If not, then it means, does it not, that I would be completely locked out of my trunk!!!
plop90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
kcalhoun27

My Ride: is red inside
the battery is in the trunk so it would be open if you had it disconnected. im not sure why you would close the trunk with the battery disconnected. i guess youd have to make a mental note of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theribdoctor View Post
chili is awesome, I bleed aqua and orange.
kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
plop90

It happened to me the other day - I was working on the car in my drive, and it started to rain. I shut the trunk while the battery was disconnected, and panicked a bit when I realised the trunk release wouldn't work without power. Then I remembered I could use the key. Phew!

But if I had had a keyhole camera in, then I would have been screwed.

I don't trust myself enough to think about it!

Am I missing something, or has everyone else with a keyhole camera done it with folding rear seats just in case!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #4
Xeek

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328Ci
Id think of a different place for my camera, maybe somewhere around the license plate. Losing manual function for me is a non negotiable.

BTW I have always had a phobia of locking my keys in my car even though I havn't in years! So I understand your delima.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
plop90

Yes maybe. I am not sure what equipment I have around the license plate area. I am in the UK so we have different license plate holders to you guys in the states. I'll look into it soon.

I only have one key. I can get a new one from the dealer for just under 100, which I think I will do soon. I don't have the Valet key either.

Actually, I do have a second key, but the battery is dead and won't be charged by using it in the ignition. I will look into getting a new battery for it somehow. I know the batteries aren't supposed to be user replacable (it's a diamond one).
Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
You could learn how the key connects mechanically to the latch and run a bowden cable to that part of the mechanism. Then run the cable into the passenger compartment and hide it.
cityjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
you would have to go through your rear speakers, then get a stick and attempt to put the connector for the battery back on, or pull the emergency release handle.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Dominancex

My Ride: FA5T 4DR
Send a message via AIM to Dominancex
break through the center where the ski pass is

Dominancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #9
plop90

Could I get some sort of extension lead for the emergency release handle? I haven't noticed where that is. I think it is compulsory in America, but not necessarily in Europe (I guess we have less kidnappings...)

Or maybe I am just getting that from watching far too much CSI (in fact I watched a NY episode recently that directly involved an emergency release handle.

As for the ski pass idea, I would still have to use a big stick, though it would be easier than using a big stick through the rear speaker hole!

Thanks for the input guys - great ideas!

But i'm still not convinced...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by plop90 View Post
Could I get some sort of extension lead for the emergency release handle? I haven't noticed where that is. I think it is compulsory in America, but not necessarily in Europe (I guess we have less kidnappings...)

Or maybe I am just getting that from watching far too much CSI (in fact I watched a NY episode recently that directly involved an emergency release handle.

As for the ski pass idea, I would still have to use a big stick, though it would be easier than using a big stick through the rear speaker hole!

Thanks for the input guys - great ideas!

But i'm still not convinced...
the release handle for us is right above the bmw tool kit. you should see it, it's a glow in the dark handle.

CSI NY sucks, it's all about the original one lol.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
plop90

Ah but with the main characters dropping like flies in the original one, we may well be stuck with just Miami and NY to get us by!

But that's a little off topic. Can anyone post me a pic of the handle? I don't remember seeing it before, and won't be back with my car for another couple of weeks.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #12
sillieidiot

lol i know, but it's still better than the other two even though it's down a few

anyways, here's a picture from a clears install

http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/pic...g&directory=43

the green triangular thing in the middle is the handle

Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
You could maybe use a jumper cable to operate the trunk release button? There is a positive terminal in the engine bay and put the ground on any exposed metal part there.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #14
plop90

Ah yes now that's a good idea! I would only be doing the work with the battery disconnected at home, where I would have access to another car to jump from. Clever. Maybe I will experiment and see if that does make it work. No reason why it shouldn't though.

That makes me a lot more confident about doing the keyhole camera now. Thanks!

I'll let you know what I decide...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #15
plop90

And as for the little green triangle, I don't recognise it at all. Maybe I don't have it!

Mental note: Don't get trapped inside my trunk with noone around...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #16
Breyton-BMW

Great! Let us know the results.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by plop90 View Post
And as for the little green triangle, I don't recognise it at all. Maybe I don't have it!

Mental note: Don't get trapped inside my trunk with noone around...
I think that the green glow in the dark thing was just made mandatory recently so you will be able to see it if ever you get locked in the trunk.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #18
teleopti

My Ride: BMW 330i
i would place it right underneath the trunk lip handle (where the lights are that shine so you can see your license plate) and put it off to the left or right. I'm not sure exactly how you would do it but im sure you can run the cable through there. I have seen it on a couple of cars and it looks good without losing functionality of the keyhole