E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Aries932
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California/South Carolina
Posts: 1,266
My Ride: 2011 135i AW DCT
Send a message via AIM to Aries932
BMW can detect piggybacks on the new ECU (335i,135i)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8273

They can now detect it...sucks for new owners
__________________

To Never Ending Fun.
Aries932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Transporter99
Registered User
 
Transporter99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,424
My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Wow that does suck for those wanting to use software responsibly.

I figured BMW was getting morons racing with PROcede 335i models, running lean and burning the turbos or worse.
For those owners, I say tough. It's about time BMW stepped up and cracked down.
__________________
328i ZSP/ ZPP/ ZCW - Sold

_________________________________
'99 DINAN 328i - Sold
'93 Honda Civic Si - Sold
Transporter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
willyd
Registered User
 
willyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: san francisky, ca
Posts: 1,528
My Ride: 99' 323i - sold :(
i understand why they had to do it... but i'm a little bummed that they did.

i love the new N54 engines, and that software is so sick... but then again i figure if i had a 135 or 335 i'd probably hold out on the procede simply because i'd be in favor of longevity instead of relatively unnecessary performance upgrades... i think 300hp/300tq is plenty for me at the moment
__________________

UUC Stage 2 Suspension :: 18 x 8.5 CSL Reps :: Pirelli PZero Nero :: Clears :: Titanium Enhanced DDE :: Need More $$
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Ervin87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA (Santa Clara)
Posts: 7,477
My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
I guess Dinan will see a lot more customers now.
__________________
EUROPROJEKTZ - NorCal Chapter


Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,510
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
It will be a cat and mouse game. Procede will most likely come up with a software patch that can mask their program. It won't end but it sucks for those who were caught because I bet their vin # will be registered with BMW also.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.


Last edited by phrozen06; 05-01-2008 at 01:13 PM.
phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,422
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
there is always a way around everything....bmw is just mad they arent seeing any profit from aftermarket companies....and now with there new performance line it makes sense to force bmw owners to buy oem performance parts rather then some one else.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
BimmerIsMyName
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: University of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD)
Posts: 1,331
My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
I guess Dinan will see a lot more customers now.
True. Kind of sad though that BMW is doing this
__________________


2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
iheartsole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Socal
Posts: 659
My Ride: 04 325i sedan
what happens if BMW found that you used a procede or some other software?
iheartsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
///MACHINE
Registered User
 
///MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,682
My Ride: is an immigrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsole View Post
what happens if BMW found that you used a procede or some other software?
i guess it would be reason to void your warranty.
__________________
///MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Staszek
Are we there yet??
 
Staszek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 6,536
My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
True. Kind of sad though that BMW is doing this
Not sure why its sad, they have a right to protect themselves for warrantied repairs.

I say if you want to do it you have to pay the price, and that is lose your warranty.

Its just risk reward. Some people dont care others need that warranty.
__________________

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
e4604
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,606
My Ride: ...
there is ALWAYS a way around these things
e4604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
M3LTDOWN
Registered User
 
M3LTDOWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 305
Posts: 4,886
My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
Several tuner's piggy backs still work. The others are all pretty much in development for a patch.
__________________
*
M3LTDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Transporter99
Registered User
 
Transporter99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,424
My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Some of you have been talking about tuners making a "patch" to "mask" the softwares presence from BMW's detection.

I presume you know more than I know about computers, so excuse me for asking a seemingly elementary questions:

If this patch is the truth, and the gateway to "always get around" software detection systems...what's to think BMW won't sooner than later upgrade their systems to detect the software patch, or any other "cheater" patches? I presume no software is absolute, therefore completely uncontrollable. Meaning, an undetectable patch that's so good, no one can find it...even the designers of the patch. And it seems as long as software has a beginning and end, BMW will always find a way to find these "patches."

I guess I'm not getting the logic the seems to presume the aftermarket will win this "war."

I guess we could bribe the BMW technicians to stay quiet, lol.
__________________
328i ZSP/ ZPP/ ZCW - Sold

_________________________________
'99 DINAN 328i - Sold
'93 Honda Civic Si - Sold
Transporter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 AM   #14
Boosted_ZHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,173
My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
They might be able to find patches and change to stop them, but tuners will continue to do the same thing. Remember at one point they said it was impossible to s/c an e46 m3, we now know how true that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter99 View Post
Some of you have been talking about tuners making a "patch" to "mask" the softwares presence from BMW's detection.

I presume you know more than I know about computers, so excuse me for asking a seemingly elementary questions:

If this patch is the truth, and the gateway to "always get around" software detection systems...what's to think BMW won't sooner than later upgrade their systems to detect the software patch, or any other "cheater" patches? I presume no software is absolute, therefore completely uncontrollable. Meaning, an undetectable patch that's so good, no one can find it...even the designers of the patch. And it seems as long as software has a beginning and end, BMW will always find a way to find these "patches."

I guess I'm not getting the logic the seems to presume the aftermarket will win this "war."

I guess we could bribe the BMW technicians to stay quiet, lol.
__________________
Boosted_ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #15
Boosted_ZHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,173
My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
I guess Dinan will see a lot more customers now.
Actually No. Alot of people believe this to be a big F U to Dinan. Along with changing the computer, they also changed the OBD ports or something and Dinan can no longer tune 03/08 cars either. It is also harder to tune the ecu.

After BMW NA and Dinan stopped working a little over a year ago there has been tension. Then Dinan stole, and paid off people to get the info to tune the n54, when BMW found out they came out with this.

There is still no proff that piggybacks can be detected, only dinans flash. Also the JB1 and SSTT still works, and I am pretty sure a few others are also.
__________________
Boosted_ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
gameboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 248
My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to gameboy Send a message via Yahoo to gameboy
why dosent bmw itself sell this so they can make money off of it? i know it would be ridiculously expensive but hey if you can afford it you will have it and still keep your warranty.
gameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
futurezero
Horror Business
 
futurezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tonorburg, PA
Posts: 28,589
My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ZHP View Post
Actually No. Alot of people believe this to be a big F U to Dinan. Along with changing the computer, they also changed the OBD ports or something and Dinan can no longer tune 03/08 cars either. It is also harder to tune the ecu.

After BMW NA and Dinan stopped working a little over a year ago there has been tension. Then Dinan stole, and paid off people to get the info to tune the n54, when BMW found out they came out with this.

There is still no proff that piggybacks can be detected, only dinans flash. Also the JB1 and SSTT still works, and I am pretty sure a few others are also.
I spoke with a Dinan representative and they told me that they are hoping to have an updated flash available by August. Sucks because my car was built 03/08
__________________
futurezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
Boosted_ZHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,173
My Ride: 88 325
Send a message via AIM to Boosted_ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurezero View Post
I spoke with a Dinan representative and they told me that they are hoping to have an updated flash available by August. Sucks because my car was built 03/08
Yeah, I figured they would. I feel you, my 135 is a 04/08 build. Try checking your ecu out, maybe you got lucky.
__________________
Boosted_ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #19
futurezero
Horror Business
 
futurezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tonorburg, PA
Posts: 28,589
My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ZHP View Post
Yeah, I figured they would. I feel you, my 135 is a 04/08 build. Try checking your ecu out, maybe you got lucky.
I already checked, my build date was actually 04/08 (not 03/08 like I previously mentioned) and I have MSD v81.0 DME
__________________
futurezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #20
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,742
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter99 View Post
I figured BMW was getting morons racing with PROcede 335i models, running lean and burning the turbos or worse.
For those owners, I say tough. It's about time BMW stepped up and cracked down.
I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Not sure why its sad, they have a right to protect themselves for warrantied repairs.

I say if you want to do it you have to pay the price, and that is lose your warranty.

Its just risk reward. Some people dont care others need that warranty.
Well stated. I think that people forget that BMW is a business and they need to watch out for themselves first and foremost. If they didn't, then we wouldn't have any more new BMWs to drive.



At least BMW isn't as strict about it as Mitsubishi like when Mitsu was cruising through car forums and finding people who were racing their Evos and voiding their warranties. BMW warranties don't void for pointless reasons like other companies.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use