E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
amit87

My Ride: 328CI
Paddle shift on steptronic

I was wondering how the steptronic gearbox works. I looked at a diagram of an assembley but was still confused.

I was thinking if i was to get a universal paddle shift or wire my own buttons onto stearing wheel, would it be easy?!

I beleive that in steptronic mod when you push up to shift up, it pushs a button and obv when u push down, it pushs a button to shift down (this would mean wire another button to shift up/down)

In the assemply drawing, it looks like it pulls and pushs the axel that the gearstick is fixed to. This would mean there would either be a button somewhere else... or a pulse of the push 1 way wud shift up and pulse other way wud shift down.

Anyone have more knowledge?
amit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
There is a guy on here that makes a retrofit kit that you can use to make a M3 SMG wheel with the paddle shifters work with the steptronic automatic transmission. I was considering it for a while when i wanted to upgrade to a M3 steering wheel. All together the retrofit kit + the SMG M3 wheel, the cost is around $1000+. Not to mention the cost of installation, unless you feel you are mechanically inclined enough the follow the DYI.

I decided against the SMG paddle retrofit for the steptronic, because of the extensive price difference, between that and a normal M3 wheel. Also i figured that at first the paddle shifters would be cool, but would start to lose its appeal, and the extra $700+ for the feature was not worth it to me....
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
^^^^^^1+ 100%

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
LeontiyZHP

My Ride: '04 330Ci ZHP
over $1000?! whoa! I saw some DIY on it and was considering doing it, but I had no idea that it would cost that much!! I guess I won't be considering that mod anymore

2004 330Ci ZHP
Pioneer Avic D3, Xplod Amp w/ 10' Sub |
CCFL Angel Eyes, LED interior/license plate/CREE reverse lights
Car For Sale

DIY Facelift Angel Eyes | AVIC-D3 Install | flickr
LeontiyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Keep your eye's open on ebay or look for a junked M3 SMG. I picked the M3 wheel up with the paddle shifters and the airbag for $250 BIN. WOW! I know that was a sweet deal and that doesn't happen everyday but it does happen. You can move the paddels over from a wrecked M3 SMG if the steering wheel is bent and save a lot of $$ too.

The DIY is exremely easy. On a scale of 10 I'd give it a 3 maybe 3.5 at most. You will need the steering collar that has all the contacts/connectors in it so if you find a wrecked SMG be sure to pick that up too.

The part # is 61318379091. When you order you will get the part with the connectors as they don't sell the one with out, even though it's the same part number as the one you're replacing.

There is no need to buy the over-priced kit to do this work. It's basically just finding the wires that go to the shifter in SD mode and tap into them and your done.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
ummmmmmmm, why? doesnt an auto shift itself?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
LeontiyZHP

A lot of people have done it.. I'd hope theres a better alternative to it.. prob the only problem is getting the steering wheel i would assume and finding the right wires to tap into..

2004 330Ci ZHP
Car For Sale

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
ummmmmmmm, why? doesnt an auto shift itself?
It does. Many, like myself, pick an auto up because they commute with their car and are stuck in heavy stop-n-go traffic on a daily basis. No fun for a manual; gets real old real quick.

In SD mode a steptronic becomes a semi-manual when you shift it, meaning you can somewhat control the shiftpoints yourself. Paddleshifters are for people that want to shift manually for a more controlled, more sporting driving experience using controls similar to F1 cars as opposed to the stick going back and forth. Just something different.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeontiyZHP View Post
A lot of people have done it.. I'd hope theres a better alternative to it.. prob the only problem is getting the steering wheel i would assume and finding the right wires to tap into..
So you're kind of stuck with a BMW wheel if you want the airbag to work... Since that's the case then if you want to paddle shift with a steptronic there really is no other alternative.

You can probably locate a similar/same micro-switch and OEM source it, build the wiring harness to make this work and integrate it into the electrical connector, but by the time you've done this you're going to be into the project for about what BMW charges for the parts if you ordered them seperately. It's simplistic really. There are micro-switches under each paddle that are mounted into the steering wheel; one wire for each switch that goes to the connector and the other wire goes to ground. When you pull on the paddle to shift, the micro-switch is momentarilly shorted to ground.

There are numerous DIY articles on the iNet that explain in detail how to wire this into the existing wiring harness in the center console. It's really one of the simplest mods you can do maybe with the exception of the "golf tee" mod.

/// MODS
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Twiford

My Ride: Is Expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
There is a guy on here that makes a retrofit kit that you can use to make a M3 SMG wheel with the paddle shifters work with the steptronic automatic transmission. I was considering it for a while when i wanted to upgrade to a M3 steering wheel. All together the retrofit kit + the SMG M3 wheel, the cost is around $1000+. Not to mention the cost of installation, unless you feel you are mechanically inclined enough the follow the DYI.

I decided against the SMG paddle retrofit for the steptronic, because of the extensive price difference, between that and a normal M3 wheel. Also i figured that at first the paddle shifters would be cool, but would start to lose its appeal, and the extra $700+ for the feature was not worth it to me....
1000.00??WTF.....I just did mine the other day. You do not need a retrofit kit. You need the steering wheel, the m3 slipring and a two prong plug (commonly used on pc motherboards. Installation was easy following the do it yourself. Everything all together was 590.00, not 1000.00. I love it, its so much more fun to drive. If you need help PM me, I will be glad to help you. Dont listen to people that do not know anything about it.
Twiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
LeontiyZHP

Twiford, could you provide the links that you used for the DIY? I've seen some but couldn't really figure it out..

TitaniumCranium, I should've cleared that up, but I was saying that there's an alternative to the first post because I've seen some DIY on it and kind of disagreed with that.

In order to do this, I would have to get a whole new steering wheel right? or is there a way for mount the paddles on an existing ///M steering wheel?

2004 330Ci ZHP
Car For Sale

Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeontiyZHP View Post
In order to do this, I would have to get a whole new steering wheel right? or is there a way for mount the paddles on an existing ///M steering wheel?
Here is a DIY done by MITE46 that's pretty well laid out.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...addleshift+diy

I can't tell you that I know how to do this but there was a post some time last year or possibly a little longer where someone did just that. I vaguely remember them saying that all they had to do was cut out the area around where the micro-switch mounted with a dremel and then they just mounted everything. BUT if you already have the sport wheel (airbag), all you need is the steering wheel and the paddleshifters + the slipring + a few inexpensive connectors + a couple of hours and YOUR DONE!

The M Steering wheel is worthwhile even if you didn't do the paddle-shifters. Many people have done this and I can tell you from personal experience that the extra diameter of the wheel just gives you that much more authority when you're pushing the car through corners. IMHO it's a must have mod!

/// MODS
Old 07-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Tequila

My Ride: black e46 pwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Here is a DIY done by MITE46 that's pretty well laid out.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...addleshift+diy

I can't tell you that I know how to do this but there was a post some time last year or possibly a little longer where someone did just that. I vaguely remember them saying that all they had to do was cut out the area around where the micro-switch mounted with a dremel and then they just mounted everything. BUT if you already have the sport wheel (airbag), all you need is the steering wheel and the paddleshifters + the slipring + a few inexpensive connectors + a couple of hours and YOUR DONE!

The M Steering wheel is worthwhile even if you didn't do the paddle-shifters. Many people have done this and I can tell you from personal experience that the extra diameter of the wheel just gives you that much more authority when you're pushing the car through corners. IMHO it's a must have mod!
Hello!

I did all that thinks except I still didn't get the SMG slip ring. Can anybody tell me if is a way to do this mod without getting this ring column?
Did anybody found the way to use not used buttons - for example R/T & mobile phone on steering wheel (multifunction)? Can it be done or no way?

Thanks
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
u need the clockspring because it has a spot for and extra connector for the wires for the paddle shifters.
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
Twiford

My Ride: Is Expensive
^+1, you have to have the m slip ring. you cant do it without it
Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
320de46m47

My Ride: 320D Touring
CSL 2 pins

non CSL no pins
320de46m47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 AM   #17
320de46m47

steptronic paddleshift retro:

from BMW
Paddleshift wheel
slip ring 61318379091 approx $50
10 x bushing contacts with wire BMW part no. 61130006663 cents
1 x small plug blue 4 pin # 61138380696 a dollar or two
1 x large plug blue #61136925611 ditto
2 pin plug blue #61136925634 ditto

from local electrical store
6 connectors shrink wrap or similar
2 core 5mm wire a 2 yards

Last edited by 320de46m47; 07-27-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
Tequila

My Ride: black e46 pwr
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop325ci View Post
u need the clockspring because it has a spot for and extra connector for the wires for the paddle shifters.

I am aware of that..

Just asking because in Europe/My country SMG clock spring cost about 100 EUR = 155 USD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiford View Post
^+1, you have to have the m slip ring. you cant do it without it
Why don't just use original unused BMW wiring harness instead..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320de46m47 View Post
steptronic paddleshift retro:

from BMW
Paddleshift wheel
slip ring 61318379091

For example:

My multifunction buttons

My unused multifunction buttons (because my mobile phone was installed in car "after market" - not original BMW phone)

BMW wiring harness with only 4 contacts...

I know that the tricky part is to decode & find the right signal on K-line/OBD2 protocol in volute spring
in steering wheel (something like COM port on PC with Rx/Tx signals)..

If this works, you don't have to buy SMG ring anymore, you just rewire harness inside the steering wheel
and then just find the right one/wire contact on the other side of the ring...

By

p.s.: 320de46m47 - from which part of Italy are you?
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
320de46m47

slip ring is 86.11 euro in Italy (North)
they do come up on ebay ...i think there's one there now in fact
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #20
320de46m47

according to the part number this is CSL SMG!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E46-Coloum...3286.m20.l1116