E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Best way too remove pollen?

Is there anything out there to safely remove pollen from your car without scratching the car at all?
acpstunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I would just hose it down with water. Wiping it off with a dry towel might scratch it......

Speaking of that. I washed my car yesterday to only find out after school that my car was covered with pollen.........
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
a bucket wash is the best way, but you can do small sections with quick detailer and a clean microfiber towel, whatever you do, its going to be covered again in a couple of days if not a couple of hours

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Yea :-/ Ive seen duster looking things at some auto stores. Are those a good idea or no?
acpstunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I don't like them, because it just traps the dirt and dust. Only to rub it back on the paint
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
Safest way is to just wash your car like someone above said. But I'm sure you were looking for a quick way...so, depending on how much pollen is on there, the Quick Detailer spray and a clean microfiber towel would be my suggestion.

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
derek80

My Ride: is optically clear
i'll wash it...
derek80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
Dunbar

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6MT
Wash it and then apply FK1 #425 quick detailer. It cuts down on 80-90% of dust/pollen attraction. Probably my favorite detailing product for my black E46.

http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm
Dunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
if the car isn't dirty, i would say just rinse it and wipe it down with a big soft towel (definitely not terry cloth)

after that you should be good to go with a nice spray wax.......

thats what i would do......... or i would just put a tiny little bit a soap in a bucket and do a really quick wash........

i must say tho, the "california duster" does work wonders..... i don't have one but i have used it before, and it doesn't smutch pollen like a microfiber towel would.......... using a microfiber towel you can definitely feel the tiny surface scratches because pollen is so goddamn sticky

when i use the california duster on my black roof it will show if it really works or not
Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
04yfz

My Ride: A car
No matter how soft of a towel you use simply wiping will do more harm than good. Also just rinsing your car off will lead to water spots and potential water etching. The fastest safe and proper method would be to do an ONR wash. A car like an e46 can be washed in about 40-50 minutes with it, if not quicker. It's quick, easy, safe and relatively inexpensive. I actually use it as my primary wash method on my jet black car when the sun is out. Keeps me from having to fight water spots.
04yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
04yfz

My Ride: A car
I also wouldn't recommend those dusters, anytime you are touch the pain you can potentially mar it, this increases greatly with such products as there is no lubrication when the pollen/dirt is rubbed against the paint.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
chris_bmw330ci

My Ride: 330ci
i'm seriously considering getting one of these:

http://crspotless.com/

i would use the filtered water this unit provides as my final rinse during a regular wash, filtered water means i can just let the car air dry w/o the worry of water spots - saves time and avoids scratching. but it can also be used to rinse off the pollen and other loose dirt - just rinse the car at night, stick it in the garage and have a non-pollen car in the morning.

there is a group buy over on the detailing bliss forum.

Last edited by chris_bmw330ci; 05-06-2008 at 08:46 AM.
chris_bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
if your car is cleaned and waxed then you can wipe off the pollen with a detail cloth....i have a cloth that shines and removes pollen as well...forgot whats its called...it has a picture of a camel and a 5 series on the front of it....works great...if your car is dirty and you have pollen and you want to wipe it off then i would recommend washing it....the dirt on the car can scratch the paint when trying to wipe the pollen off...but pollen being wiped off on a cleaned waxed car with a cloth would not scratch your car.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
never seen that....but damn its kind of pricey...looks awesome though.
I know in home depot you can buy a filter for your entire house...you connect it from the main water pipe coming into the house...this way all the water in the house is filtered...toilet..sink...showers...etc etc...its awesome and cost alot less then that...but im not sure if will guarantee a spotless car wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_bmw330ci View Post

i would use the filtered water this unit provides as my final rinse during a regular wash, filtered water means i can just let the car air dry w/o the worry of water spots - saves time and avoids scratching. but it can also be used to rinse off the pollen and other loose dirt - just rinse the car at night, stick it in the garage and have a non-pollen car in the morning.

Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
just try to keep it indoors as much as possible and, when it gets to the point you have to clean it, do a full wash.... no sense scratching your car permanently to get rid of pollen temporarily

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #16
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
if your car is cleaned and waxed then you can wipe off the pollen with a detail cloth....i have a cloth that shines and removes pollen as well...forgot whats its called...it has a picture of a camel and a 5 series on the front of it....works great...if your car is dirty and you have pollen and you want to wipe it off then i would recommend washing it....the dirt on the car can scratch the paint when trying to wipe the pollen off...but pollen being wiped off on a cleaned waxed car with a cloth would not scratch your car.
I wouldn't recommend just wiping your car with a dry cloth even if it is waxed, it can still leave scratches, if you are going to wipe it get a bottle of Quick Detailer

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
I have one of these, maybe not the same brand, but it looks identical just gray instead. I still dry my car with my microfiber towel, but any water that runs off from cracks will most likely not leave any spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_bmw330ci View Post

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The CRSpotless system is an outstanding way to wash your vehicle safely when pollen builds up. It's filtered water that won't leave watermarks on the surface. Therefore you can rinse the vehicle off and walk away and you're all set. They are also great for washing windows. It's certainly not cheap but anyone who uses one will swear by the results. There is a wall mounted unit and one that comes with a set of wheels. If anyone has any questions about these units please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #19
Martin C.

My Ride: e90x; 91 318is
Living in the Evergreen State I know the complications of pollen. I hate swirling marks so I usually wash my car instead of using a 'dry' towel, no matter how much or how little pollen accumulates on the car. Spend the time and do it right.
Martin C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I use a California Duster in between car washes, it works really well. Helps me cut back on the frequency of all out car washes.