E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
kodpkd

My Ride: 325XI
Headlight washer.

I am trying to get my headlight washer to work. Seems that there isn't power to the washer motor. When I check it with a volt meter, doesn't show volts when activated. The window washer shows 12 V when activated. I checked the fuses in the glove box., none were blown. When I powered the motor direct to a 12 V source, the motor turned, but it didn't pump washer fluid. So I guess I have 2 problems. The water pump part of the motor isn't working, and I am not getting power to the motor.

Last edited by kodpkd; 02-08-2015 at 04:23 PM.
kodpkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
The headlights have to be on before the washers will work and they don't come on every time you pull the stalk. Get the new pump first and go from there.

2003 325xi StahlGrau metalic almost modless, wife's DD. 1998 328is lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs, AEs, almost everything blacked out, my DD.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
kodpkd

My Ride: 325XI
Wow,,, thanks. That answers a lot of questions. I tested when the motor turns on. It runs the first time after you start the car, and not the next 6 times. Even though the washer motor is running, it still doesn't pump fluid. Like you said,,,, get a new motor/pump. Thx
kodpkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Yah its the motor. Had the same issue a couple of years ago.

That's the way the headlight washers work only every 6th time do they spray..

Don't go to the dealer and pay $$$ for the motor.. You can get the exact same motor for like $10 from ebay because it fits previous gen BMWs and its much cheaper than if you were to buy the actual E46 branded/ part number # one..

I think i crossed referenced the numbers and getting the old motor # was much cheaper and fits like a glove in there
Old 02-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
biglittledog

My Ride: 2002 325xiT
Send a message via Skype™ to biglittledog
+1 on the EBay motors (used two of them on two different cars and they work fine). I think the BMW little plastic impeller sucks. It blows apart which unfortunately sends little bits of white plastic down the tubes to clog up your headlight washers and or make them leak all the fluid out of the tank. The little filter screen is before the pump so broken plastic can still get through when it breaks.
I tested the new ones by applying 12 V directly to the motorwhile installed instead of fulfilling all the requirements for the car to do it. Just a lot easier!
BMW could have done this so much better...
1945 Dodge WC52 Weapons Carrier (snowplow now)
2003 Harley Dyna Super Glide
1989 Honda XR600r
1968 BSA Shooting Star

Last edited by biglittledog; 02-12-2015 at 10:03 AM.
biglittledog is offline   Reply With Quote