Cruise control is not working - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Guyerst

My Ride: 330i
Cruise control is not working

I did some searching, but a couple threads I found on this ended without the OP saying if it was fixed and how.

Symptoms: first noticed I could not turn on the cruise control going down the highway. Press the I/O, no green light. Tried to set the speed by pushing + just in case the green light was broke, no luck.

After reading up a bit, I checked if I could get it to turn on in the garage... never touching the brake. Green light comes on and goes off with the button as much as I want, until I hit the brake. Once I touch the brake, the cruise light won't turn on until I do an ignition cycle.

I've seen MAF and brake switch come up often in older threads. Seems to be some disagreement on the MAF. My brake lights work fine, and I didn't have any trouble lights. But I decided to try a new brake light switch... mostly because it's so much cheaper than a MAF. No change with the new brake light sensor.

I'm about to order a new MAF (cleaned it a couple weeks back with no change). Can anyone confirm that the MAF definitely fixed their cruise issue? Does a bad MAF makes sense with being able to turn on/off the cruise until I press the brake?
Guyerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
MAF is an expensive item that is not returnable in most cases. You must be certain that the MAF is the problem, I have never seen one cause the Cruise to not work.

Try this test. Stop on the side of the highway and cycle the ignition off then on to clear the system. You only need a place where you can get to 30 mph or more without using the brakes, then set the Cruise. You stated that you can make the green light turn on and off as much as you want until you use the brakes, then you cannot make the light come on again until you cycle the ignition off then on. The green light should never go away until you hit the 1/0 button. When the system is enabled, the light should remain on until it is disabled. Once it is enabled, then it can be engaged or disengaged. You attain the set speed and engage the system after it has been enabled. As the conditions change, you depress the brake or the clutch and the system is disengaged although it is still enabled. When the conditions allow, you can select the Resume function if the system is still enabled. The car will increase its speed until it attains the previously set speed and then stay there.

If I read your symptom set correctly, I'm reading that depressing the brake pedal not only disengages the system, it disables it also. The green light on the dash indicates to you that you can press the Set or Resume button and cause the Cruise to engage and make the car do what the button says it should do. I say, Set button, but it's really the + Button. If the system is on, enabled, then you depress the + button to store the speed and remain there, or you hold the + button to increase the speed and then hold, or you can press the gas pedal to attain a new speed then depress the + button to hold the new speed. Resume sends the car to full throttle until it gets to whatever speed was set before the brake or clutch was depressed. (Ignore references to clutch if you have an automatic.) The clutch/brake disengages the system, but does not disable it. If on, you must depress the 1/0 button to disable the system.

Your car sounds like once the system is disengaged, it cannot be engaged again until you cycle the ignition. If you can stop on the side of the road and cycle the ignition, then proceed up to speed without using the brakes, then the system should be able to be set. If true then you have something wrong with the brake switch or the controller for the Cruise. I completely get that this is not the right way for the system to work, but if it works this way then it's a clue.

I have never seen any relationship with the MAF and the Cruise Control. The brake switch makes sense, the MAF does not.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Guyerst

Thanks for the idea. I forgot the mention this is an automatic, but I still should be able to get down to 10 mph or so, shift to nuetral, cycle the ignition, and shift back into drive without having to hit the brake.

Gonna run out to a country road this evening and give this a try.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Get PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4, and read the trouble codes from ALL the modules.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RHJTS2
Especially check the IKE (instrument cluster), DME (engine computer), EGS (automatic transmission computer), and ABS modules.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Cruise control is not working

I had a similar "no cruise" problem. It was the MAF. I replaced it with a seimens/VDO MAF from fcpeuro.

Get OBDFusion and the appropriate interface adapter. iOS uses wifi, android uses Bluetooth. Buy a Veepeek adapter from Amazon. Search for threads about OBDFusion with posts by jfoj. He's the resident guru.

OBDFusion will let you see the what the MAF is reporting.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 03-28-2017 at 07:56 AM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Guyerst

I was able to get the cruise to work today by going to neutral, shutting down, restarting, and shifting back to drive... all cruise functions worked normal until I pressed the brake. Threw a code shutting down and restarting.

So this had me thinking either the wiring for the brake switch is bad somewhere (since I just put in a new brake switch), or more likely the control module. Then I read the code...

P0102!

Well sht! I got this code 1 other time when I shut down and restarted the engine within a couple seconds. I know several people have fixed their cruise issue with a new MAF, and I'm certainly no expert mechanic, but I just can't wrap my head around how a low input reading on the MAF circuit would prevent the cruise from turning on. Is this a coincidence? Why did this code only come up with a quick ignition cycle?

My code reader has about as much capability as I do, so I'll be looking at acquiring and OBDFusion set-up here shortly so I can watch the MAF readings.

Interesting reading on the P0102 code and coolant / oil capillary action to the DME connection. Just replace the entire cooling system and valve cover gasket due to leaks. So, I clearly need to look at the DME connections.

Seriously... P0102. Totally convinced it wasn't anything to do with the MAF since I was able to get it to work as long as I kept off the brake, and then I get that code...
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
I don't think the E46 works quite the same as the E36/7, but I know my M Roadie will not operate the cruise with a code. I'm wondering if you had a pending code that still shut down the operation.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
jdstrickland

Okay, you have a clue.

If the Cruise works before you use the brake, but not after, then you have somewhere to look. Back to Enable and Engage... You enable the system with the 1/0 button and engage it with the + button. You disengage it with the brake pedal or the - button. Now, the - button only disengages for the duration that it is held, then when it is released the new speed will be held until the brake pedal is depressed or the 1/0 button is pressed again.

If you get the system to work if you do not use the brakes beforehand, then it stands to reason that the brake switch is high on the list of usual suspects.

You have a P0102, this points to the MAF. I have never heard of a MAF keeping the Cruise Control at bay. This is news to me. Seems that others can confirm it as true, so go that way.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #9
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyerst View Post
I was able to get the cruise to work today by going to neutral, shutting down, restarting, and shifting back to drive... all cruise functions worked normal until I pressed the brake. Threw a code shutting down and restarting.

So this had me thinking either the wiring for the brake switch is bad somewhere (since I just put in a new brake switch), or more likely the control module. Then I read the code...

P0102!

Well sht! I got this code 1 other time when I shut down and restarted the engine within a couple seconds. I know several people have fixed their cruise issue with a new MAF, and I'm certainly no expert mechanic, but I just can't wrap my head around how a low input reading on the MAF circuit would prevent the cruise from turning on. Is this a coincidence? Why did this code only come up with a quick ignition cycle?

My code reader has about as much capability as I do, so I'll be looking at acquiring and OBDFusion set-up here shortly so I can watch the MAF readings.

Interesting reading on the P0102 code and coolant / oil capillary action to the DME connection. Just replace the entire cooling system and valve cover gasket due to leaks. So, I clearly need to look at the DME connections.

Seriously... P0102. Totally convinced it wasn't anything to do with the MAF since I was able to get it to work as long as I kept off the brake, and then I get that code...

Ding ding ding.

Danger Will Robinson, danger.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
The only time my cruise wouldn't work was when I forgot to reconnect the MAF plug, I drove into town and then got the ses light. I don't think the cruise worked before the light came on but once the MAF was reconnected everything worked.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Guyerst

I replaced the brake light switch after the cruise started acting up. Same symptoms with both the old and new switch.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #12
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The cruise control won't work if the MAF is bad. I had this problem last summer: the cruise control couldn't be enabled. Checked the MAF using OBDFusion and the readings were flaky. Bought a Siemens/VDO MAF from fcpeuro and the cruise works perfectly.

I'm betting the MAF is the kulprit!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
jdstrickland

I wish I could explain why the MAF takes the Cruise Control off line. I cannot.

The MAF should be blind to the activities of the brakes. If the MAF is killing the cruise, it should do so whether the brakes are applied first or not. Remember, the OP says that the Cruise works if the brakes are not used first.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 03-29-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #14
SSchwab

My Ride: 99 328i, 00 Z3 2.8
Doesn't a bad MAF reading trigger a default fuel trim setting?

My guess is that default setting overrides the cruise control setting.
SSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #15
Guyerst

That's a big part of the reason I haven't sprung for a new MAF yet. Especially when I could get the cruise engage light to turn on / off in the garage. It seems that if my MAF was causing the cruise to not work, it shouldn't work all the time... not just after I touch the brake.

I'm hoping to keep this thread active long enough where someone found a pinched wire somewhere or other fix they did after trying the Brake light switch. I'm going to try to dig up a schematic this weekend that shows the brake light switch wiring, and see if I can determine which wire goes to the cruise controller and check continuity.

Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyerst View Post
That's a big part of the reason I haven't sprung for a new MAF yet. Especially when I could get the cruise engage light to turn on / off in the garage. It seems that if my MAF was causing the cruise to not work, it shouldn't work all the time... not just after I touch the brake.

I'm hoping to keep this thread active long enough where someone found a pinched wire somewhere or other fix they did after trying the Brake light switch. I'm going to try to dig up a schematic this weekend that shows the brake light switch wiring, and see if I can determine which wire goes to the cruise controller and check continuity.

Thanks for all the input so far!

I'm with you on this, if the MAF was killing the Cruise, it would always kill the Cruise, not just after teh brakes have been applied.

The green light that you speak of is part of the enable side of the system. It should remain on at all times whether the system is engaged or not. You enable (set the system to ON), then reach the desired speed and engage. If the conditions change and you use the brakes, then the system is disengaged but remains enabled, so the light should remain lit. I have had several cars that use the green light, and a few that do not. Those that use the light keep it on at all times (after the system is switched ON) to keep you apprised of the readiness state of the system. If the light is on, then you can set the speed, if the light is not on, then you cannot set the speed.

On the cars that I have owned (my E36 among them) that do not have the green light, they just let you set the speed at any time when setting the speed is valid -- above 30 mph, for example. In the case of no indicator light, the system is always "enabled", and you attain the desired speed and set it. Use the brakes and it cuts out. Use the Resume feature, and the car returns to the previously set speed.

I'm a bit confused by your statements that the green light goes out when you use the brakes to disengage the system.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
SSchwab

My Ride: 99 328i, 00 Z3 2.8
What if the MAF is in a soft fail condition, and is not responding fast enough to the change in fuel trim when the brakes are applied, causing a fail mode?

I'm clearly stretching here, but am wondering if you could find someone that would let you swap MAFs to test cruise control on EACH vehicle?

At least you could rule out the MAF.
SSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #18
jdstrickland

A huge problem with the E46 schematics is that they are all "black box". The E36 schematics are far superior in the Bentley Manual than the E46 schematics. You will have trouble finding, I think, a schematic that helps you.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #19
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchwab View Post
Doesn't a bad MAF reading trigger a default fuel trim setting?

My guess is that default setting overrides the cruise control setting.

He reported a P0102, which is a MAF trouble code.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #20
Guyerst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchwab View Post
What if the MAF is in a soft fail condition, and is not responding fast enough to the change in fuel trim when the brakes are applied, causing a fail mode?

I'm clearly stretching here, but am wondering if you could find someone that would let you swap MAFs to test cruise control on EACH vehicle?

At least you could rule out the MAF.
This is a fantastic idea! Have a buddy that stores his for the winter, so I should be able to borrow his to trial.