E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
jazzbass

My Ride: 99 328i; 06 330i
Anyone sucessfully scanned an early (1999) E46?

Has anyone successfully scanned an early (1998-early 2000 build) E46 - the ones with the 16 and 20 pin connectors - and gotten "actual value" readings (e.g. fuel trim, O2 sensor) and not just codes? If so, what tool did you use?

My problem - I have a 1999 328i. I'm getting the SES light and BMW codes 202, 203, 227, and 228 (OBD2 codes P0170, P0173, P1188 and P1189). Yeah, the usual lean mixture "go replace your intake boot/CCV" codes. Problem is, I've already done that - see this thread here where I replace pretty much everything rubber under the hood:

forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1102355

The CCV was cracked, the vacuum hoses were dry-rotted, gaskets were hard as rocks and intake boots torn all to hell - so they all got replaced. I've also replaced the fuel pump (going bad), fuel filer (old), and all the fuel lines (yeah, all of them - had the tank out). At this point I've replaced everything that was obviously, visually bad. Now it's time to troubleshoot for the less obvious stuff. I'm getting a smoke machine here tomorrow to smoke the intake to see if I missed something despite all the new rubber under the hood. But I also want to monitor the fuel trim values and the O2 voltages on start up, run, etc. I have had no luck doing this using the two scan tools I have. The first is a Bavarian Technic cable I got to work on my E90 and is supposed to work on the E46 as well. Even have the round 20 pin adapter. I can connect to the car, read/clear codes, and even activate several components. But under the "actual values" section of the engine, no fuel trim or O2 sensor values. Called BT and they said "yeah we don't support that for that model"

I also have a OBDLink LX bluetooth reader with OBDWiz software on my laptop. This too will connect to the E46 and read the codes - but no actual values. All of the logging/O2 sensor/emission readiness stuff just stays at zero. This tool works fine on other cars (my son's 99 Nissan Maxima for example).

So I'm trying to figure out where to go next. INPA? Something else?
1985 Porsche 911

Last edited by jazzbass; 05-11-2016 at 11:12 AM.
jazzbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
BavAuto sells the Launch C-Reader VII, and used to sell the C-Reader VI. Both are shown reading real time values for O2 output and Fuel Trim. I'm sure AutoEnginuity will do it too but is a bit more expensive. Sometimes you can find AutoEnginuity products on auction sites.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
PA soft

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
jazzbass

Thanks guys. Have either of you actually used these readers on an M52TU engine?

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult - the M52TU seems to be somewhat of an odd duck engine, and my problem is that there seems to be some weirdness and conflicting info regarding its OBD2 capabilities. Pretty much every product I've seen (including the two that I own) claim that they should read a 99 328i without problems. But when I try, I get told "yeah we just support code reading from those cars" or a sense of general confusion. The majority of E46s are M54 engines without the round underhood connector and these seem to have fewer problem with OBDII readers. For the M52TU, I've read:

- You can't read real time data from the under dash connector
- Some early E46s have bugs in the DME that prevent them from connecting properly
- You CAN read real time data from the underhood connector (I've seen some things that imply that INPA can do this even for M52TUs)
- You cannot read real time data from the underhood connector (the BavTech guys told me this)

Hence all the confusion. Most of the threads I've searched for result in guys with M54 engines reading freezeframe or actual values info without problem using standard OBDII connectors. The BavTech tool works fine on the E90 and the generic reader gives me real time values for all my other cars - 99 Maxima, 2010 Highlander, 06 330i - but nada on the E46. So I'm looking for someone with a 99-00 M52TU engine that's done this and can say definitively "this works" This would help me figure out where my problem lies. It has to be either:

1. My 1999 M52TU based E46 doesn't support reading real time data from any of the diagnostic ports, full stop. Sorry, sucks to be me.
2. My car DOES support reading of real time data from the ODB2 dash port, but only with the correct tool, which is ??????
2a. My car supports it with almost any std OBD2 reader and decent software, but I have a software/DME/config issue in the car I need to resolve first.
3. My car doesn't support reading this data from the OBD2 port, but does support it using a special BMW tool like INPA or DIS.
1985 Porsche 911
Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Bim3Por911

PA Soft! Duh-Oh! I have this and run it on an OLD (2004) Dell Precision M60 laptop running Win XP. I use it all the time for code reading, and I have the round under-hood connector. I too have an M52TU in a 2000 328i (9/99 build date). I can try it and report back. A old high school friend ran a repair shop and used AutoEnginuity for just about every code issue that came his way. He swore by it. You could call them. They have a version specifically for BMW. From what I've read, the older e46 cars with the round under-hood connector need a true serial data stream, and hence a serial connector to your computer, not USB. That's why I got the Dell M60, it actually has a nine pin serial connector.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Synrgy

My Ride: 2000 323i
For cars with the round underhood connector, you need a true serial ADS interface such as this one:

http://openlabs.co/store/Tiny-ADS-In...-pin-connector

Then you can install INPA (older the better, newer versions do not support ADS) and read all the codes in all modules. I've even coded my 00 323i with that ADS cable, also works for E36s and some E39s. Hope that helps!
Synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
Bim3Por911

I ran PA Soft on my laptop about an hour ago. I could not find any utility for scanning real time data. If you are going to try and get real time data while driving the car I don't know how you'll do it with the hood closed. The large round connector on the cable shown above will be damaged if you attempt to close the hood. There may be right angle versions of the same that have a lower profile and permit closure of the hood, or you could remove the connector from its mount so it's out of the way of the hood. You might try purchasing INPA / EDIABAS from this source: and then installing it on a laptop with a real serial port and use the cable recommended above. I checked AutoEnginuity and it says they don't support '96 - '99 e36 cars. I'm not sure if that applies to early e46 too. You could call them.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
bmwdud121

My Ride: 2000 318i
I was in the same boat. Here's how I get around it:
1. Get a long 20-pin to serial cable (I think I payed $20 off ebay for a long one iirc) that reaches from your hood, inside the side window, and onto the seat
2. You should be able to detach the 20-pin socket from its mounting point (it just slides up and out), and push it down a 10cm or so, plug in the cable and run it around the front side of the car into the cabin (it's not as messy as it sounds)
3. Get an old laptop of ebay/craigslist, one that can run xp and has a serial port (rs-232)
4. Load up and get INPA running, then run INPA testo (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ime-graph-view) which worked a treat for me
5. Within testo you can save the data to .csv and use that for analysis
6. I just leave the laptop on the passenger seat/in the door while I'm driving.

Good luck!
bmwdud121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 AM   #9
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
2000 328Ci owner! Kicking myself because I deleted the video a few days ago. My CCV was bad and forum members asked for my realtime O2 and fuel trims. Both were available through DashCommand for iOS/Android. Allows for logging and programing own gauge cluster for real time data. I read through a GoPoint Bt1. Thread + video was here on page 1 http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...352&highlight=
YoitsTmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
havnfun328

My Ride: '99 328i, '03 M5
I have used the Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD II scanner with OBDFusion (IOS) and gotten freeze frame and logged data.
250K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
havnfun328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
The Z3 is really an E36 but I have used PA Soft/BMW Scanner 1.4.0 on Z3 with a 20 pin round DLC connector for other things in the car without problems.

PA Soft/BMW Scanner 1.4.0 does not always support Live/Realtime data.

On cars with the 20 pin round DLC connector, for the 16 pin OBDII connector to work, the 20 pin DLC cap with jumpers installed needs to be on. The jumpers enable the 16 pin OBDII port under the dash. The 16 pin OBDII port DOES NOT support K bus modules like the late 2000-2001+ models, the 20 pin DLC connector with an adapter will need to be used for things like ABS, Airbags and other modules in the car.

Unless this car was a non North American destination car, the maybe the DME does not fully support OBDII??

Get the 20 pin round DLC to 16 pin OBDII adapter on Amazon for $10, you will likely need this for other things anyway.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 05-12-2016 at 02:13 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
jazzbass

Thanks for all of the input, guys. I wanted to close the loop on this thread and mention that I was successful in getting real time data from the car. I tried different OBD2 scan tools and even got a firmware update for the OBDLink tool that I have - no luck. So I purchased a USB Ediabas/K+DCAN cable and a BMW 2-pin - OBD2 16 pin adapter from different sellers on Amazon. Total cost was about $30. That was the easy part.

I pulled out an old Windows XP laptop I had laying around and spent a not insignificant amount of time upgrading it to the final version of XP so that it would run semi-modern software like Chrome so I could download everything I needed. It took a couple of tries and a lot of web searching for config options, but I am now able to run INPA/Ediabas. Pheno, a guy on Bimmerforums, wrote a fantastic program called TestO that uses Ediabas and logs values for you, so I am now able to create CSV data logs of my running values.

So that's a major hurdle overcome. In the end I was able to use the USB connector and didn't have to get the RS232 based cable, which was nice. Next step is to get some data and figure out what the hell is going on.

1985 Porsche 911

Last edited by jazzbass; 05-30-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
Thanks for all of the input, guys. I wanted to close the loop on this thread and mention that I was successful in getting real time data from the car. I tried different OBD2 scan tools and even got a firmware update for the OBDLink tool that I have - no luck. So I purchased a USB Ediabas/K+DCAN cable and a BMW 2-pin - OBD2 16 pin adapter from different sellers on Amazon. Total cost was about $30. That was the easy part.

I pulled out an old Windows XP laptop I had laying around and spent a not insignificant amount of time upgrading it to the final version of XP so that it would run semi-modern software like Chrome so I could download everything I needed. It took a couple of tries and a lot of web searching for config options, but I am now able to run INPA/Ediabas. Pheno, a guy on Bimmerforums, wrote a fantastic program called TestO that uses Ediabas and logs values for you, so I am now able to create CSV data logs of my running values.

So that's a major hurdle overcome. In the end I was able to use the USB connector and didn't have to get the RS232 based cable, which was nice. Next step is to get some data and figure out what the hell is going on.
I have also used Testo (world's worst app name!) to log data normally viewed in INPA. It's very handy for certain BMW-specific things (VANOS, ATF temp, etc.)

For normal engine running problems I much prefer the OBD Fusion app on my iPad connected to an ELM327 WiFi OBD2 adapter. I've use this adapter plugged into the same 20-pin to 16-pin adapter you have on an early 2000 328i and it works fine.

By the way, these two jumpers allow you to just use the OBDII port inside the car on older BMWs that have both ports.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...33&postcount=4
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
jazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
For normal engine running problems I much prefer the OBD Fusion app on my iPad connected to an ELM327 WiFi OBD2 adapter. I've use this adapter plugged into the same 20-pin to 16-pin adapter you have on an early 2000 328i and it works fine.
I can see why. INPA works, but it's a giant pain to set up and use while running. I looked at the ELM327 WiFi on Amazon but was scared away by the negative reviews. Good to hear that it works well and will read real time data for these early cars. Seems you can get one for $12 on eBay, so I might get one just to avoid the headaches of INPA for simple stuff.
1985 Porsche 911
Old 05-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

Quote:
I can see why. INPA works, but it's a giant pain to set up and use while running. I looked at the ELM327 WiFi on Amazon but was scared away by the negative reviews. Good to hear that it works well and will read real time data for these early cars. Seems you can get one for $12 on eBay, so I might get one just to avoid the headaches of INPA for simple stuff.
I have 4 or 5 of them, some WiFi some Bluetooth, all purchased from ebay or Amazon. They all work fine. Buy from a USA seller though so it doesn't literally come on a slow boat from China.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #16
jazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I have 4 or 5 of them, some WiFi some Bluetooth, all purchased from ebay or Amazon. They all work fine. Buy from a USA seller though so it doesn't literally come on a slow boat from China.
Picked up a ELM327 from Amazon after your post. It was $12 shipped so I didn't have much to lose. It works perfectly. Real time data, logging, etc all work great. Thanks for the suggestion.

So to recap, here is my progression:
- Bavarian Technic Cable/software - $300. Virtually worthless for troubleshooting. Doesn't read any real time data, freeze frame data, or emission readiness.
- OBDLink LX Bluetooth - $60. Can read codes and freezeframe data, but not real time data in the E46. Tried it in other cars (06 300i, 99 Maxima) and it works fine in those.
- K+DCan & INPA - $32 (including the 20 pin adapter). Reads everything but does so in cryptic BMW fashion so no standard OBDII fuel trims, etc. And you have to run it on a laptop from the stone age. But you do get real time data.
- ELM327 + OBDFusion - $22. Reads all real time OBDII information including fuel trims, emission readiness, etc. Works with my iPhone so no giant ancient laptop to lug around.

As you can see, as the solutions got cheaper, they also got better. This is one time my "buy the best (i.e. most expensive) first" mentality bit me in the ass.
1985 Porsche 911

Last edited by jazzbass; 06-02-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #17
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Picked up a ELM327 from Amazon after your post. It was $12 shipped so I didn't have much to lose. It works perfectly. Real time data, logging, etc all work great. Thanks for the suggestion.

So to recap, here is my progression:
- Bavarian Technic Cable/software - $300. Virtually worthless for troubleshooting. Doesn't read any real time data, freeze frame data, or emission readiness.
- OBDLink LX Bluetooth - $60. Can read codes and freezeframe data, but not real time data in the E46. Tried it in other cars (06 300i, 99 Maxima) and it works fine in those.
- K+DCan & INPA - $32 (including the 20 pin adapter). Reads everything but does so in cryptic BMW fashion so no standard OBDII fuel trims, etc. And you have to run it on a laptop from the stone age. But you do get real time data.
- ELM327 + OBDFusion - $22. Reads all real time OBDII information including fuel trims, emission readiness, etc. Works with my iPhone so no giant ancient laptop to lug around.

As you can see, as the solutions got cheaper, they also got better. This is one time my "buy the best (i.e. most expensive) first" mentality bit me in the ass.
Yup, an ELM327 wireless adapter and OBD Fusion for any car is a great tool set.

Keep snappin and poppin that jazz bass, my man.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #18
Gabrielito88

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I own a 2000 328ci and got DIS and INPA working with K+D CAN cable connected to my macbook pro laptop using bootcamp to install windows xp. I can use inpa and NCS expert with parallels in mac os
Gabrielito88 is offline   Reply With Quote