E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Car choking at WOT above 5k rpm. Idle/revving/slow driving is fine though?!?

On my way back from Bimmerfest, my car had a problem.

Background: 3 weeks prior to bimmerfest, I changed the plugs, oil, filter, and air filter, so those should be fine.

Ok, so on my way home, car drives fine EXCEPT when I downshift to pass someone and go WOT.

The car chokes not just like one small jerk, but it just keeps choking above 5k rpm. In fact, it's choking so bad that it barely climbs to 6k. Instead, I just shifted to the next gear up and slowly picked up speed instead.

Basically, it feels like it's fuel starved. But I had a full tank of gas.

So since idle and slow driving is fine, that eliminates a spark issue.....

Intake, should be fine, just checked filter and it's clear so it's getting air...

So lastly, that leaves fuel. My guess is that the fuel pump or sending unit is going bad. The fuel filter probably has something to do with my problem as well, so I'll need to change this too. It's getting enough gas to idle fine and to drive slow fine, but at WOT, it's not getting enough gas?

Anyone have any suggestions or had this problem before and what was your fix?

Thanks for any info guys. I appreciate it.

Edit: Also, there is no check engine light or SES light or anything.

Last edited by TKC; 05-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Akbrazil

My Ride: 03 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to Akbrazil Send a message via MSN to Akbrazil
here's a way to find out if the fuel pump is bad. On your fuel rail there is a test port, you can pick up a fuel pressure gauge at most autoparts store for about 20 bucks (Actron is a fairly good brand), hook it up to the port and run the hose outside the car. Tape the gauge to your window and drive the car on the freeway to get up to speed to where the issues comes up. If the pressure drops you know that the pump is bad or you could have an issue with the fuel pressure regulator. (Fuel pressure regulator is inside your fuel filter). On your fuel filter there is a vacuum line attached to it, disconnect it and run the car and see if the issue come back.
Akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
TKC

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I have some time.

In the mean time, bump to see if anyone has actually had this exact problem and solved it?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Had the same problem. The starvation starts at high rpm then progressively goes down to, at my worst point, even idling. FUEL PUMP was ready to give way.

I had an Actron fuel pressure gauge but the fuel hose is too short, and the port is vertical so I wasn't sure if the hood was going to hit it and possibly break the port.

An indirect way of checking fuel pump performance is to look at the fuel levels of both tank lobes using the OBC Hidden Codes, option 6.0.

Below half a tank, the left value should always be 000 or close to it after the engine runs a few minutes. There's a 'sucking jet pump' inside the fuel tank that transfers the gas from the left to the right via venturi action from the returning fuel. If the fuel flow wasn't strong, there won't be enough vacuum to make it work, so gas remains on the left. I lived with this problem for almost a year (engine dies at 1/4 tank), before the fuel starvation happened. When I changed the pump the 'sucking jet pump' did its work too.

Last edited by ssm1991; 05-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Try cleaning the MAF sensor.
Dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
ssm1991

Best would still be to change your fuel filter/regulator (13-32-7-512-019) first. It's a regular maintenance item anyway, unless you've had it changed the past year.

If the problem persists then it's the fuel pump.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
TKC

Great, thank you so much for the info. I'll check on those.

Just out of curiosity, was the pump you changed the thing under the rear driver's side seat or the thing under the rear passenger side seat?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
ssm1991

Fuel pump is REAR RIGHT side (so even RHD drivers won't be confused). REAR LEFT is just a sender. It's at most a 30-min DIY even if you're a novice.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
wntrcoatblu240

My Ride: never the same...
hey TKC, i had a similar problem couple months back.. with idle does your car choke out and dies? cuz if that's the case your MAF might be going out... after i changed out the MAF, my car was back to normal, and with great pick up from the line, and no hesitation at WOT...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrcoatblu240 View Post
hey TKC, i had a similar problem couple months back.. with idle does your car choke out and dies? cuz if that's the case your MAF might be going out... after i changed out the MAF, my car was back to normal, and with great pick up from the line, and no hesitation at WOT...
HI! How've you been?

With my car, actually, it's fine at idle. Completely smooth, same with slow/normal driving. It's just when I floor it or apply heavy gas to pass someone that it happens, so I'm thinking it's the fuel pump/sender mentioned above.
BUt I'll see if someone will swap MAFs with me for a test drive just to check.

Thanks !
Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
How many miles on your fuel pump and fuel filter?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
any solution to this?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
flashmeow
Banned User

bumping this because I am having the same issue. I know it is not my fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator because i tested it and the pressure was at 3.5bar (50PSI)
Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
A miss under load can also be ignition related. I'd change the plugs. I would imagine that it would be setting codes to beat the band.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Hey, Toby!

There were just a couple recent threads very similar to yours...and I believe both were fuel pump issues.

I wish I could remember key words to help you find these threads...one car couldn't go above 5K rpm like yours. I'll search and see if I can find them and come back here if I do.

If fuel filter hadn't been changed in many years, that might be it, but although our interval might be 2 years for a change, I suspect your pampered car probably hasn't driven that many miles...IDK...just guessing.

Yes, the pump is below rt. rear seat...and diy is reputedly very easy. I don't know whether the fuel pump relay itself might affect its function, but believe guys are swapping for another relay to test that...I want to say it's the horn relay, as odd as that sounds...and I might be mixed up on this, but I'm pretty sure there is a relay you could test in (though you might not have a horn!).

You're so lucky you have the country's finest mechanic just minutes from you, if you need backup! If he's not available, try Kalim! LOL

Okay, so did some searching...found the thread I remembered...search "loss of power" in title...thompson something is the author...and there was another loss of power thread too, so that might come up.

They tried maf and fuel filter, but it was fuel pump. Also might check 'hesitation' threads, but I'm putting my money on fuel pump...not that it is that, but that's where I'm laying my money along with others here! Good luck and let us know!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 05-13-2011 at 07:01 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Hey, Toby!

There were just a couple recent threads very similar to yours...and I believe both were fuel pump issues.

I wish I could remember key words to help you find these threads...one car couldn't go above 5K rpm like yours. I'll search and see if I can find them and come back here if I do.

If fuel filter hadn't been changed in many years, that might be it, but although our interval might be 2 years for a change, I suspect your pampered car probably hasn't driven that many miles...IDK...just guessing.

Yes, the pump is below rt. rear seat...and diy is reputedly very easy. I don't know whether the fuel pump relay itself might affect its function, but believe guys are swapping for another relay to test that...I want to say it's the horn relay, as odd as that sounds...and I might be mixed up on this, but I'm pretty sure there is a relay you could test in (though you might not have a horn!).

You're so lucky you have the country's finest mechanic just minutes from you, if you need backup! If he's not available, try Kalim! LOL

Okay, so did some searching...found the thread I remembered...search "loss of power" in title...thompson something is the author...and there was another loss of power thread too, so that might come up.

They tried maf and fuel filter, but it was fuel pump. Also might check 'hesitation' threads, but I'm putting my money on fuel pump...not that it is that, but that's where I'm laying my money along with others here! Good luck and let us know!
For me, it was a fuel pump until I replaced my defective fuel pump. the problem went away and CAME BACK when I decided to replaced my fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator at the 3/2 valve (I have DME MS42). After the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator replacement I am having the same problem as described by the OP.

What is interesting is that when I replaced my fuel pressure regulator there was hardly any fuel gushing out of the 3/2 valve. also..what is interesting is that I can't use my cruise control if I experience the WOT/5K problem. I have to restart my car for the cruise control to work but as soon as I hit the WOT/5K cruise control will after that (doesn't matter what speed or what RPM).

Last edited by flashmeow; 05-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Hey, Toby!

LOL thanks but this thread is from years before I even knew Kalim.

It ended up being a cam position sensor.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
TKC

Oh, and the reason it took me a while to figure out the problem was because I would have thought the CPS would throw a CEL, but I had no CEL. After exhausting things like MAF and vaccum leaks, I finally found someone local with a PEAK and found a code stored leading me to the CPS.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
flashmeow
Banned User

thanks for the update
Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Oh, and the reason it took me a while to figure out the problem was because I would have thought the CPS would throw a CEL, but I had no CEL. After exhausting things like MAF and vaccum leaks, I finally found someone local with a PEAK and found a code stored leading me to the CPS.
Oops, missed the large bump taken there...but glad we got your update!

You remember which of the three cps's it was, Toby. Intake or exhaust cam sensor? I'm sure it wasn't crank sensor, right?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote