Indy shops not using OEM parts? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
e36guywantse46

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp
Indy shops not using OEM parts?

So I just got my car back last night after a severe coolant leak that happened from my fan blade breaking and rupturing my radiator (which I had just put a new Behr one on last winter when replacing entire cooling system).

$644.00 I got my car back last night. They put in another new Behr radiator but I noticed they used a URO fan blade. Not an OEM/genuine BMW one. Looking these up online URO seems to be cheap parts. Should I be concerned?

Can I ask the shop to replace it with an OEM one? For peace of mind.....

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Quadcammer

My Ride: 2000 328i
Not unusual. Some uro parts are not horrible, but they tend to be cheaper do the shop is trying to increase its profit margin. If you are uncomfy I don't think it's wrong to request an oem but expect to pay the difference
Old 11-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Drop that indy, I know it seems a bit harsh for using one URO part, but the fact is if you're paying above 500 dollars you should be getting OE or OEM parts. This plus the fact that URO really only makes 2 good parts for our cars makes me concerned about the longevity of that fan, the last thing you want is that flying apart and destroying that shiny new radiator. My preferred indy shop in the Seattle area (Signature Independent) will only use Gen. BMW parts. If all else fails, some indys will install parts you purchase yourself if you waive any sort of shop warranty on the part. I've done this a couple times with things like fuel filters and evap. valves when I can't be bothered to do it and I trust the work that the shop will do.

Use this site to find another indy if you want:https://www.bimmershops.com/

Edit: Are you going to Botzon's? I'm asking because I'm moving out to Spokane with my car this spring for school and was also looking for a new indy shop.

Last edited by Silverdogz; 11-02-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Was that $644 for just the radiator, fan blade, shroud, and coolant? If so, that was too much. That's even high if they were all Genuine BMW parts. My mechanic quoted me ~$400 for the radiator, shroud and blade, with labor. Behr radiator, genuine BMW for everything else.

But it is common for independent shops to use aftermarket parts.

Last edited by lingon300k; 11-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
orb

My Ride: 325Ci
Replace it with the OEM Thyssen component. Wouldn't trust URO for such a critical part.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
If he used OE parts, your bill would have been $1000+.
LEave it alone, but in the future research which parts you want OE for.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36guywantse46 View Post
So I just got my car back last night after a severe coolant leak that happened from my fan blade breaking and rupturing my radiator (which I had just put a new Behr one on last winter when replacing entire cooling system).

$644.00 I got my car back last night. They put in another new Behr radiator but I noticed they used a URO fan blade. Not an OEM/genuine BMW one. Looking these up online URO seems to be cheap parts. Should I be concerned?

Can I ask the shop to replace it with an OEM one? For peace of mind.....

Normally I'd say see what happens, unfortunately the fan's failure mode involves a half dozen other components when it goes. So in this case, I would absolutely not trust that brand.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
e36guywantse46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
Drop that indy, I know it seems a bit harsh for using one URO part, but the fact is if you're paying above 500 dollars you should be getting OE or OEM parts. This plus the fact that URO really only makes 2 good parts for our cars makes me concerned about the longevity of that fan, the last thing you want is that flying apart and destroying that shiny new radiator. My preferred indy shop in the Seattle area (Signature Independent) will only use Gen. BMW parts. If all else fails, some indys will install parts you purchase yourself if you waive any sort of shop warranty on the part. I've done this a couple times with things like fuel filters and evap. valves when I can't be bothered to do it and I trust the work that the shop will do.

Use this site to find another indy if you want:https://www.bimmershops.com/

Edit: Are you going to Botzon's? I'm asking because I'm moving out to Spokane with my car this spring for school and was also looking for a new indy shop.
No, this was european autohaus in Spokane. I've taken my car to Botzon's before though. As well as well Europro.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
e36guywantse46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
Was that $644 for just the radiator, fan blade, shroud, and coolant? If so, that was too much. That's even high if they were all Genuine BMW parts. My mechanic quoted me ~$400 for the radiator, shroud and blade, with labor. Behr radiator, genuine BMW for everything else.

But it is common for independent shops to use aftermarket parts.
Yep. Wow, I got screwed
Old 11-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
e36guywantse46

So update.....

Just called the shop and they are willing to replace the URO fan with a OEM one free of charge.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
Quadcammer

Quote:
So update.....

Just called the shop and they are willing to replace the URO fan with a OEM one free of charge.

pretty good customer service by them.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
If he used OE parts, your bill would have been $1000+.
LEave it alone, but in the future research which parts you want OE for.
Not at an independent. The bill should have maxed out at $500 with all Genuine BMW parts. $600 if the guy is a poor mechanic and decides to charge 2 hours.

$1000+ is correct for the dealership.

Quote:
So update.....

I'm glad it worked out!

Last edited by lingon300k; 11-03-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
No shop in the world will charge just one hour labor to do a shroud/fan/radiator removal, and replacement, and then a bleed, and then a road test. Price was right for an indy, unless you live where houses cost $20k

Last edited by OnTheFence; 11-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
El conquistador

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Glad they stepped up, but not a horrible thing to use aftermarket if they charged for the parts accordingly. $600 isn't a horrible bill for most visits to the shop. With a couple of hours and standard markup on parts, I can see it. The retail price on the radiator alone is $292 (quick google search). Add in the fan, anti-freeze, shop fee, and labor...

This is a good instance when an enterprising owner could turn a couple of wrenches and save a few hundred dollars. The same radiator is available for $136 online. There's a $150 savings right there, not including the labor you were charged.

Last edited by El conquistador; 11-03-2016 at 10:03 AM.
El conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
No shop in the world will charge just one hour labor to do a shroud/fan/radiator removal, and replacement, and then a bleed, and then a road test. Price was right for an indy, unless you live where houses cost $20k
My indy charges $400 for that job with a Behr radiator and Genuine BMW for the rest. His shop is less than a mile from where the governor of NJ lives, in one of the most expensive real estate areas in the country.

This is where many houses cost $2,000,000.00, not 20k. Roughly 5-10 minutes away from where Jackie Onassis, Steve Forbes, John Delorean, etc used to live. Whitney Houston was one of the poorer celebrities when she lived in the area.

This is the area's idea of a county park: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natirar

It's East Egg. Even though he's right on the border and close to Morristown. Which isn't cheap, either.

You'll find it's exactly the opposite--poor areas are much more expensive. https://www.yelp.com/biz/europcar-service-morristown

My point is that you should shop around and find a good mechanic. Especially if you're getting quoted anything near $1000 for that sort of job.

(Also--He's a damned good mechanic. The best I've ever spoken to.)

Last edited by lingon300k; 11-03-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #16
Quadcammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
My indy charges $400 for that job with a Behr radiator and Genuine BMW for the rest.

(Also--He's a damned good mechanic. The best I've ever spoken to.)
Radiator is $144 online...call it $175 at the shop
Genuine Blade is $60...lets say no mark up there
Would surprise me if a new fan clutch isn't used, but ok.
2 bottles of Pentosin at $15 a shot

So we are at $265 for parts with very minimal mark up. Tax is also 7% in the state of NJ. This brings the cost down to $373.

so basically this guy is charging just over 1 hour labor to pull the car into the shop, remove fan, drain whatever's left in the radiator, remove the hoses, remove the expansion tank bracket, reinstall everything on the new radiator, reconnect everything, fill and bleed the coolant, and test drive the car? Either he likes working basically for free, he's the fastest mechanic in the world, or you might have been rounding down a bit.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #17
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Radiator is $144 online...call it $175 at the shop
Genuine Blade is $60...lets say no mark up there
Would surprise me if a new fan clutch isn't used, but ok.
2 bottles of Pentosin at $15 a shot

So we are at $265 for parts with very minimal mark up. Tax is also 7% in the state of NJ. This brings the cost down to $373.

so basically this guy is charging just over 1 hour labor to pull the car into the shop, remove fan, drain whatever's left in the radiator, remove the hoses, remove the expansion tank bracket, reinstall everything on the new radiator, reconnect everything, fill and bleed the coolant, and test drive the car? Either he likes working basically for free, he's the fastest mechanic in the world, or you might have been rounding down a bit.
I did it in an hour. If I can do it in an hour, without counting the time to put the car on stands, then someone who has done it a few hundred times could easily do it in an hour. I didn't round the number at all. I was quoted $400. The quote has always been slightly higher than what I pay. (Also, it would have been a week until he could get to it. They never have an immediate opening.)

Pentosin? I'm sure he's using bulk coolant in a drum.

The price didn't include the fan clutch.

(I don't know if I mentioned this here or not, but I was quoted $1200 by BMW. I think they said it would be 3 hours of labor.)

Last edited by lingon300k; 11-03-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Quadcammer

Everyone can always do everything amazingly quickly online.

replace a head? yup, 3 hours start to finish
Control arms? 15 min a side

etc etc.

If he's really at $400 all in, then good for him. I'm not sure how he pays his rent, shop insurance, and everything else involved in running his business, but I guess he figures it out.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Everyone can always do everything amazingly quickly online.

replace a head? yup, 3 hours start to finish
Control arms? 15 min a side

etc etc.

If he's really at $400 all in, then good for him. I'm not sure how he pays his rent, shop insurance, and everything else involved in running his business, but I guess he figures it out.
There's no need to be a dick about it. This isn't a YouTube comment section. It took me an hour. Sorry if that upsets you. I've worked in that area quite a few times now, and it isn't very difficult to do everything once you've already done it a few times.

As far as my mechanic goes, he's always booked and I always have to make an appointment at least a week out. He's not hurting for business. And he does a great job. Take a look at the Yelp link.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #20
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
i think the real question is if they charged you for an OEM fan or a uro one haha

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote