E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
mr46

My Ride: 2002 325i
***I need help getting in/unlocking my car*** plz help

2 weeks ago my lock cylinder broke.I have since ordered the kit to fix it but haven't received it.

Yesterday I cleaned the snow off my car and when I was done I locked it with my remote.

Next day I go and try to unlock it with the remote and nothing.
I have 2 keys that were programmed to open it and both don't work.

Any suggestions? I pulled the door out a bit and used a lasso around the door handle on the inside and opened it all the way but the door doesn't unlock.

I've walked around my car pressing unlock and nothing.
mr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
rdhamill

My Ride: 2005 330i
If you're able to "lasso around the door handle", you might need to do it a second time.
rdhamill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr46 View Post
2 weeks ago my lock cylinder broke.I have since ordered the kit to fix it but haven't received it.

Yesterday I cleaned the snow off my car and when I was done I locked it with my remote.

Next day I go and try to unlock it with the remote and nothing.
I have 2 keys that were programmed to open it and both don't work.

Any suggestions? I pulled the door out a bit and used a lasso around the door handle on the inside and opened it all the way but the door doesn't unlock.

I've walked around my car pressing unlock and nothing.
You have to press the console central locking button one time until you hear the dead latch release in the door latch mechanisms. Then you will need to pull on a interior door handle TWICE, just as you would have to exit the car when the doors are locked while in the car. Note if your central console button is broken with the guts blown out the back, you are SOL and there are some comments that on a very small subset of E46's that the central console unlocking switch will not release the dead locking on the door latches. If you hear a loud cachunk, then you should be in good shape.

Small side note, the first door handle pull should pop the door lock post up and you should be able to open the door with either another interior door pull or from the outside handle.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
mr46

So I need to hit the central locking button once and then lasso the handle twice. Gotcha. Its a pita to get to the button with the door closed and windows up.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Try just pulling the handle one more time...I think you'll get lucky. I opened a Ci without hitting the central console's button...just pull handle twice.

Oh...one other trick might work...don't be pissed at me if it does. Use the key fob to lock the car, then use it to unlock the car, but press unlock a second time very soon afterwards and hold it down. All the windows should open up.

You're welcome.

What would you guys ever do without me? smh tsk tsk tsk! Sorry...if that works, I'll just think I'm brilliant!

Oh...sorry...addendum...if it's not unlocking at all because your battery is dead, which it sounds like it is...open up your trunk with the key manually and jump the battery...then press unlock twice.

Or slide in through ski pass...or make one if you don't have one...but jumping the battery should work...then get your battery charged...though after getting in and starting the car, drive it at least 30 mins. or so...you might not need a new battery, but if it's over 5 years old, I'd recommend getting an AM replacement--more CCAs and half the price of OE ...search 'battery' in thread titles here.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 01-03-2014 at 06:38 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
mr46

Car batter is 1 year old. And I've tried charging it already. The car doesn't seem to be getting any sort of signals from the remotes. That rules out holding the unlock button to get the windows down. I tried.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
dmax

Ski pass, then...but the charging you did...you mean charging for real or just jumping it?

I think I recall that the antenna for the ews system (if that's the system controlling remote entry)is in the left C-pillar...iirc...try from right at that location. Age of the battery doesn't necessarily mean that it's not bad, though--not knowing what you know or how you 'charged' it.

Sorry but the security/remote system isn't my thing...and a bump for you...someone will know...I hope.

But, skipass will get you in...easy to make one if you don't have it now.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
mr46

Jumping it. I figured it would do the trick. Ski pass? You mean jigsaw an entrance through the trunk?
Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
dmax

Jump it for longer. If it's so dead that the unlock doesn't work, the battery is very dead. To start the car you'd need to have the cars jumped for maybe up to 10 mins, with donor car revving the engine. If you can, take the battery out and/or hook up a charger to it overnight...or just try jumping it for a lot longer...don't get impatient. If it's that dead, it'll take a while to get the voltage you need out of it.

GL...hth

And, yes, by skipass, I mean that you cut out the panel made for the skipass...there should just be a few tack welds, I think, that you could easily dremel out. Guys have just whacked it with a hammer and broken the panel out. Then, if you're too large, lure a local kid to get into your trunk and climb through...use candy or something...and don't get caught!

A recent set

Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
mr46

Lmfao. Free candy. Lol well the battery is good enough to keep the interior lights in the trunk pretty bright. I will try and jump it for a longer period tomorrow and get back to you guys.thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #11
Absolut_V

My Ride: E46 323i
Re: ***I need help getting in/unlocking my car*** plz help

I had a similar problem with mine after the door key tumbler went bad. The position of the plastic part behind the lick was slightly off where the spring had broke, thus keeping the dial from returning to a neutral position. My remote would do jack. Had a skinny friend crawl through the skipass and start the car then roll down my window. I eventually got the drivers door open and removed the door handle and lock. That's when I noticed the plastic dial behind the lock was turned slightly. Used a flat head screw driver to put the dial in what I felt was the correct alignment and viola...my locks worked once again.

Sent from my SCH-I545L using BimmerApp mobile app
Absolut_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
mr46

Absolute, you put the screwdriver in through the keyhole?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #13
Absolut_V

No I eventually was able to get my door open, then removed the door handle and lock on the outside. Which is what you will do to fix the spring/door lock (I'm assuming that's the kit you're waiting for)

Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Absolut_V

Once you remove the outside lock (I keep referring to handle, you don't actually remove the handle. Sry for the confusion, you're only removing the plastic around the lock.) Anyways, once you get the lock out, you will see a round plastic dial behind the lock you removed, is sits inside the door. The dial is what your key lock turns. Which then sends the signal to unlock/lock the doors.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #15
Absolut_V

However, this may not be your situation. It was with mine. I've since then rebuilt my door lock and haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #16
mr46

Yeah that's the kit. I might have to cut behind my backseat to get in
Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #17
Absolut_V

Wish I had a better solution for you. Not sure if it would work, however you might try willing the key around trying to lock/unlock the door and pressing the FOB unlock button. Worth a shot, just not sure how bad your key lock is messed up. The lock itself is a simple design. On the back of the lock it has a piece that is similar in design to a screwdiver. (If your fixing the lock, then I imagine you've seen video's by now) that screwdiver piece inserts into a plastic round disc that rotates sending the signal to lock/unlock the doors. If it's been slightly rotated and is say between 12 and 3 o'clock, it can cause problems with the doors unlocking with the FOB. Hope this helps solve your problem.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 AM   #18
mr46

I've tried that a lot lol...but thanks for the input. I'm going to try it again and again tomorrow.