E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #21
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
That mean your tranny is going into limp home mode. Thats not good... might be time to get a new tranny. Or sell the car "as is no warranty"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradingflare View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this is a mechanical issue.

Sell the car, now, as is.
That's a little premature, don't you think? This could be something as simple as the output or input speed module going out.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #22
Manny04

My Ride: BMW E46 325CI
total coincidence that i found this forum.. i had that light show up on my dash today for the first time also shut the car off and turned it back on and it disapeared.. i find it odd it turned on being that at 73k miles i got a new tranny under my extended warranty and now have 75k. Hope i dont see that damn light again!!

ps
steptronic fanatic!!

lol
Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 AM   #23
lufu

My Ride: E46
my voltage regulator fault also trigger the transmission error light and the car went into limp mode
lufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #24
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
Has your car overheated previouslly, I would start by checking fluid, level and condition ??
Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #25
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradingflare View Post
Well, you kind of set yourself up for that one. No offense, but your owner's manual would have showed you what that light is, and you could've stopped your dealer from yanking your cd-player out. Unless they were searching for something electrical, that would be a different story. As far as I'm concerned, this is a mechanical issue.

Sell the car, now, as is.
Sorry there is a TSB about aftermarket radios causing those tranny codes they were following BMW protical for that. I posted the TSb a while back!!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=radio

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by jbeurotech; 04-16-2009 at 08:03 AM.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #26
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX82 View Post
The fact that they blamed the problem on your head unit shows that they are incompetent, and incompetent people are extraordinarily capable of making mistakes such as overlooking an alternator charging problem.

If you have a voltmeter, do yourself a favor and check the voltage yourself. It should literally take you 1 minute. The fact that your battery failed just a few weeks ago suggests that you might have had other electrical issues at the time.
Yea they are incompatent........

SI B 24 04 06
September 2006

Automatic Transmission
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B24 04 06 dated September 2006.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
ZF 5HP19 - Diagnosis of EGS FC 059 & 065

MODEL
[NEW] E46: 325i, 330i with M54, M56 and ZF 5HP19 up to 04/2004

E39: 525i, 530i with M54 and ZF 5HP19

E85: Z4 with M54 and ZF 5HP19 up to 04/2004
SITUATION
Transmission warning light is illuminated and transmission enters fail-safe mode.

Fault codes FC 059 (3B) "Stall speed plausibility", and/or FC 065 (41) "Gear monitoring 4, limp-home program" are stored in the EGS control module.
Also, the following ambient conditions are stored in EGS for the gear monitoring faults 065, or 059: l
- "Throttle valve angle 0%",
- "Battery voltage 0 V ".

IMPORTANT NOTE: If any other fault codes are stored in the EGS control unit in conjunction with FC 059 and/or 065, then contact BMW Technical Hotline/Drivetrain (via PuMA) for further assistance.

CAUSE
Possible causes: electromagnetic interference or voltage fluctuation in vehicle's electrical system affecting the transmission turbine speed signal.

Non-approved aftermarket electrical equipment, or loose/corroded connections in the electrical system are the main reasons for the electromagnetical interference.

PROCEDURE
1. NEW Inspect vehicle for presence of various, non-approved aftermarket electrical equipment. If such an equipment is installed, contact a customer and with his/her permission disconnect it (remove it) from the vehicle.

2. NEW In case a customer does not wish to remove aftermarket equipment which may be causing an electromagnetic interference, provide him/her with an option of installing a special EGS control module (step 5 of this procedure). This repair and diagnostic time would NOT be covered by BMW warranties (customer pays for parts and labor).

3. In case aftermarket equipment is not found, then inspect connections and repair if needed at:

- Battery terminals,
- Battery ground connection,
- Ground/B+ splices/connection in engine and body harness,
- Ground connection at the ignition secondary windings, etc.

4. Using DIS/GT1 check the DME fault memory to determine if there is any fault in the primary or secondary ignition. Correct if needed.
5. In case, no problem can be found in the vehicle's electrical or ignition systems, then install the improved EGS control module (PN 24 60 7 548 312) fitted with interference suppression capacitor. The improved control module can be recognized by the index number "002", or higher, printed on the white, Bosch label below the second bar code. Currently, all EGS control modules available for BMW PDCs are equipped with the interference suppression system.

6. Program and code the basic EGS control module.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #27
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
take it back to them......get your money back. Those Stupid son of a biatches. Your tranny can be fixed with sum $$$ and be like new. There are replacement (metal) part to correct that already on the street. Even if it is the whole transmision, nobody is going to buy it unless u fix it anyway. So take your time on it, maybe is nothing major
yea they have no clue...... to bad BMW posted a TSB about it.

Really techs are very highly trained and do have some knowledge of what hey are talking about and are not out there to rip you off. Heck they could have just said they tranny was done instead they are trying to look for the cheapest fix which happens to be to try the factory radio

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Any updates

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #29
Junaid

My Ride: .
my comes on and off all the time, but my car isnt running any differently and shifts fine from first to second to third to fourth and to fifth. whats going on?
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #30
bavariaprofile
Banned

My Ride: Topaz E46
i have the same situation going on with my car, can it be the HID system that i have connected on the vehicle. it is a 99 323i. i have the low beams as well as the fogs with out the warning canceller. i never got the error to show up on my cluster, so i let it be. but then the other day i drove the car and all of a sudden the (!) sign shows up on every gear of the car. i followed the manauls procedure to eliminate the sign, but nothing, it still remains on the cluster.
bavariaprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #31
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Just had this happen to me today too. :wtf

apparently its a "Transmission failsafe"

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #32
phongo

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325Ci
Happen to me too buddy. Paid $5k for reco transmission unit. Drove it around for a few weeks and it came back on and now BMW is blaming it on my aftermarket mod. Wish they had checked that first, i told em that and they say its a different fault code heh.

Anyways they said to fix it again will be 3.5k for a transmission control unit. **** me...dunno what to do.
phongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #33
TMoNeE

My Ride: 03' 325i
I just changed the starter and now I am getting that light... I assume i probably rattled some sensor or whatever... how do you clear it?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #34
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by phongo View Post
Happen to me too buddy. Paid $5k for reco transmission unit. Drove it around for a few weeks and it came back on and now BMW is blaming it on my aftermarket mod. Wish they had checked that first, i told em that and they say its a different fault code heh.

Anyways they said to fix it again will be 3.5k for a transmission control unit. **** me...dunno what to do.
they knew about it, but why pass up 5k?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #35
ms white

My Ride: bmw 3300i
Wink What the heck!

How old is your battery? maybe. . . low voltage problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankit View Post
[E46 Year2000 323i / Steptronic]

Hi, I really wanna get some comment and help right here. My car is in 96053k right now. When I was driving it last week, my Transmission light is turned on in the dash board which contain in the small square of the transmission box. It comes out with a sign beside the "D" < like this ([!]). Also, after that sign is on, my car just keep my speed to the "3 & 4 gear speed". When I try to shut down the car and wait abt 2 minutes..then start the car again, the ([!]) is off. I bring my car to my local BMW dealer and they helped me to check the code and stuff...end up, they told me to bring back my OEM CD player and they try to take my alpine out and install my oem back and install my alpine back when i pick up my car. End up in the invoice said they have checked the problem....light turn off didn't come out again, can't check fault. that su!Ks! that mean they do nothing!

Yesterday, When I was driving it out at the night time, the ([!]) is come out again. This make me crazyyyyy...did anyone have the same problem? What is going on!!

My dealer charge me for the checking cost $205.64 for the labor + gst&pst
ms white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #36
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Many can cause that issue. In my case, bad MAF caused it many times.

But that light is like 'Service Engine Soon.' You'll never know what's really wrong until you scan the tranny DTC.
If you connect OBD2 scanner, you can scan transmission ECU. It'll give you better idea what's going on. At least my scanner can access to tranny ECU..
Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #37
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Had similar problem about a month ago... took it to Leo @ Motorcepts and found out the auto gear selector module connector was not making good contact... he cleaned the contacts, plugged it back up and I was good to go.
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #38
auto feature

My Ride: E46 318i
Here is what happen to me yesterday. My transmission light came on in red, the car started to behave as if the wants to stall when i'm coming to a stop, then the transmission changes out with a kick. I parked the car for the rest of the day, this morning i start the car and the light is off, haven't driven it yet to see if the symtoms still exist. I did a voltage test and the battery is fine, i have'nt install any after market stuff. Only i replaced about a month ago was my MAF sensor which is dealer baught. I'm going to have a scan done to see what codes are showing.
auto feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #39
auto feature

My Ride: E46 318i
I drove the car a short while ago, car drives perfect and no more codes. I think i can safely rule out a defective tranny. I'm going to get a scan later, and i will not drive the car until this is done. I'm think that the tranny sensor might be the culprit. Thanks for the useful info on this site. The key to owning a BMW and paying a arm and a leg for repairs, is to have the ability to troubleshoot effectively.
auto feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #40
eastfreestyler

My Ride: E46, GC8, WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Had similar problem about a month ago... took it to Leo @ Motorcepts and found out the auto gear selector module connector was not making good contact... he cleaned the contacts, plugged it back up and I was good to go.
New bump.

Do you happen to see the repair? where is the auto gear selector module connector located?
More research for me. My wife's 328i had the transmission light on randomly. It'll go off once the car is shut down.