E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
acon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
My Ride: 2004 325I 4-DR
New bump as well. Can anybody please provide some guidance/insight on where is the auto gear selector module connector located so I can clean the contacts? I'm having the same problems with the (!) indicator coming on and off on my 04 325i automatic. Car shifts gears fine, battery measures fine and is about 1 1/2 years old. Indie mechanic thought it was the alternator so he swaped it out but still got a light so he swaped the old one back in ando replaced the back stop light, but doesn't know what this is. I replaced the voltage regulator on the altenator a couple of months ago but never got the light. Only aftermarket is angel eyes but I've had this for 4 years and they've never given my an issue. Thanks!
acon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
ozzied
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 1
My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by acon View Post
New bump as well. Can anybody please provide some guidance/insight on where is the auto gear selector module connector located so I can clean the contacts? I'm having the same problems with the (!) indicator coming on and off on my 04 325i automatic. Car shifts gears fine, battery measures fine and is about 1 1/2 years old. Indie mechanic thought it was the alternator so he swaped it out but still got a light so he swaped the old one back in ando replaced the back stop light, but doesn't know what this is. I replaced the voltage regulator on the altenator a couple of months ago but never got the light. Only aftermarket is angel eyes but I've had this for 4 years and they've never given my an issue. Thanks!
Very similar problem - my 2004 BMW325i goes into transmission failsafe mode sporadically. Error codes EGS 21 and 91. Happens to my wife but the local mechanic cant replicate it at all. So frustrating.

I have come to despise this car. Paid $12K for it last year; have had $3K in service done; local repair/sales guy said he could wholesale it and get $6K for it at most.
ozzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #43
maw1124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 36
My Ride: Allroad; S55; 500E
There's a trans sensor plug that goes bad on these, just like on the Mercedes W220's. It was failing on my car and the selling dealer fixed it for free. But those codes are well known (I googled it standing in front of him to confirm the diagnosis). Less than $100 bucks and a quick fix. If no dealer can figure this out, suggest it to them.

Good luck.

maw
maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #44
acon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
My Ride: 2004 325I 4-DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
There's a trans sensor plug that goes bad on these, just like on the Mercedes W220's. It was failing on my car and the selling dealer fixed it for free. But those codes are well known (I googled it standing in front of him to confirm the diagnosis). Less than $100 bucks and a quick fix. If no dealer can figure this out, suggest it to them.

Good luck.

maw
I'm willing to try that. Do you know if this is the same part as listed on Pelican:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...TRANSM_pg4.htm

If it's not difficult I might DIY it. At this point I want to clear this code for good without spending too much $ and sell the car!

Thanks!

Last edited by acon; 11-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.
acon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #45
maw1124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 36
My Ride: Allroad; S55; 500E
Quote:
Originally Posted by acon View Post
I'm willing to try that. Do you know if this is the same part as listed on Pelican:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...TRANSM_pg4.htm

If it's not difficult I might DIY it. At this point I want to clear this code for good without spending too much $ and sell the car!

Thanks!
It's a "gear position sensor" that mounts at the back of the SMG transmission. Be sure to confirm the diagnosis before you throw parts at it. Good luck.

Cheers,

maw
maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #46
gusmagoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 71
My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Ok Iím having similar intermittent appearance of limp mode warning Iím fortunate enough to have the DIS software that BMW use so have pulled the fault code which was P0705 the ďneutral position sensorĒ

My diagnostics told me to first check all lines and connections (presumably because itís intermittent rather than constant) and if that doesnít fix it then consider replacing the switch... Itís attached to the nearside of the transmission but you need to remove the sump to remove it. The part number (for my car at least) is 24107507818 and can be seen as number 9 on the diagram here.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=24&fg=15

Thatís assuming this is the part youíre on about and itís just less than $300. If you have a different transmission you should be able to pinpoint the switch using the realoem search function. Please keep us posted!!! (as my other post asks!)
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #47
HMBavaria
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fargo
Posts: 16
My Ride: 2000 BMW 323I
man, i have the same light on, mine is due to maf sensor,causing throttle position sensor code on.bmr shop says its has to do with emission and car drives amazing. no issues
HMBavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #48
Randallwayne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Robeline Louisiana
Posts: 1
My Ride: 325i
I had my windshield replaced and while driving home the light on dash came on and car went into limp mode. Is there anything in the windshield area that could have gotten broken or unplugged that would cause this? thanks.
Randallwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #49
ridgefield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south africa
Posts: 5
My Ride: bmw 320i
Auto transmission safe mode

I have had this problem for a while, sometimes on start up it goes in to transmission safe mode. Switch off then on again and it goes away. Also had rough idle one morning. Took it to the BMW agents and give them their due they did a thorough check. Turns out its a faulty transmission position switch part 241 075 07818 and a faulty exhaust cam sensor part 121 475 18628. They tell me somehow these are related in their operation. I will have these changed though they tell me there is up to a 6 week wait to get the position switch in stock.
ridgefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #50
Rezist09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 277
My Ride: 325i sedan
I'm having a problem with mine code P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Changed out the output speed sensor car stayed the same it won't move stuck on limp mode also when trying to drive car revs at 2k takes a while to catch up to speed? Maybe input speed sensor? What other cause can it be?
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #51
ridgefield
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south africa
Posts: 5
My Ride: bmw 320i
Have you checked your battery?
ridgefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #52
gusmagoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 71
My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmagoo View Post
Ok Iím having similar intermittent appearance of limp mode warning Iím fortunate enough to have the DIS software that BMW use so have pulled the fault code which was P0705 the ďneutral position sensorĒ

My diagnostics told me to first check all lines and connections (presumably because itís intermittent rather than constant) and if that doesnít fix it then consider replacing the switch... Itís attached to the nearside of the transmission but you need to remove the sump to remove it. The part number (for my car at least) is 24107507818 and can be seen as number 9 on the diagram here.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=24&fg=15

Thatís assuming this is the part youíre on about and itís just less than $300. If you have a different transmission you should be able to pinpoint the switch using the realoem search function. Please keep us posted!!! (as my other post asks!)
Just thought I'd correct my own post here! You DON'T have to remove the sump to replace this switch . It has been done and solved my issues. Job done...
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #53
jf_cole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1
My Ride: E39
Cheers Gusmagoo. Found your post through google.

Having been having a similar problem with with an E59 520i Auto. Symptoms seem idential to you. Waiting on Diag cable to check codes, but seems like the same issue. Going to have the part inspected first, then will probably replace.
jf_cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #54
RayPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,440
My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradingflare View Post
It's your transmission light...what on God's green earth that has to do with your cd player, only $205.64 will know.
I suspect they wanted to return the CD to factory spec to eliminate the possibility of wiring faults introduced by installing non OEM player.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #55
gusmagoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 71
My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf_cole View Post
Cheers Gusmagoo. Found your post through google.

Having been having a similar problem with with an E59 520i Auto. Symptoms seem idential to you. Waiting on Diag cable to check codes, but seems like the same issue. Going to have the part inspected first, then will probably replace.
No problem, glad to help out. I have since sold my coupe and gone back to a Merc estate (for practical reasons) I have the BM Tecnic cable, disc and printed instructions knocking about somewhere if anyone is interested? I think I payed 30 quid or something for the kit? i believe they have gone out of business but the kit worked great for me and i changed my passenger mirror to tilt down when reversing! Awesome bit of kit. (as well as reading and clearing all my fault codes)
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use