E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Do you support Kpeng to be a moderator?
Yes, super awesome! 276 0.27%
No. 51 0.05%
LOL1!!!!! 242 0.24%
I'd rather watch grass grow 100,076 99.35%
who's ken? we need to clone jonjon 85 0.08%
Voters: 100730. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #81
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
I'm on this forum where once registered you could post more than 5 posts per day for the 1st 30days. That was quite usefull, and as far as I've seen they don't have much spam. The only way around it is a paid membership.

On my 2 bike forums, they had/have a rule where you couldn't do a for sale thread until you've been registered for 60days + have atleast 100 posts.

Spammers attack in the other forums tho, but they stick out so they're nipped early.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #82
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
You are the last person on this forum, save Kain, FadetoBlack and E90_GEN who will ever be made a moderator...

All Hail el Ken!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #83
Nemesis330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci & X5 3.0D
Mike for mod? Yes? Vote me?

Official Vredestein Press image showing propper tire mounting.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #84
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
It'll be a cold day before this happens, but should someone else purchase E46F and decides to make you a Mod, you can have my spot because I wouldn't want to be a member anymore.

I'd be more concerned with not having my account closed again before worrying about moderating this forum.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #85
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
It'll be a cold day before this happens, but should someone else purchase E46F and decides to make you a Mod, you can have my spot because I wouldn't want to be a member anymore.

I'd be more concerned with not having my account closed again before worrying about moderating this forum.
I knew I could count on the votes of the current moderators

Despite what you and Mr. Brendan might believe, I think I would do a good job because I would actually take it seriously, but still have a sense of humor. But I know all you two super-mods and Tim hate me, so I'm just gonna do it for fun.

BTW, if I became mod, I'd make JonJon into an admin (blue color). I think he's the only moderator who knows how to have some fun while still doing his job. Smile, you're not being paid for this job, so lighten up.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #86
kpeng
Banned User

Another idea I thought of this morning that I think would improve things.

I believe that every sponsor on here should be obliged to offer some sort of discount for the paying members, as it was promised in the membership "benefits". A new subforum should be made in the Members Forum entitled "Sponsor Specials". After all, we do pay to help this site keep going.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #87
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
this thread delivers.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #88
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
this thread delivers.

I want to get you a black cobra...just for around the neck.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #89
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
I would like to be serious for a second here though and propose a few ideas that I'd like to see happen regardless of if I actually, by some miracle of god, become a moderator.

1. I propose that we not allow new members to create new threads of their own until they've hit a certain post count. I don't know, maybe 50 or 100 posts? That will encourage searching, thus eliminating repetitive threads, as well as prevent spammers from registering to make ad threads.

2. I'd like to see some better sales system implemented in the classifieds section. For starters, it'd be cool to list a member's "feedback" on the sidebar so that prospective buyers can instantly see their reputation.

3. Is there a way to code the site so that anyone who tries to quote a post that contains a long series of photos is not allowed to do so? It makes reading threads much more tedious and unnecessary.
We do have the itrader system but you have the same issue with that as any other feedback system and that is people actually using it.

You can turn off images if they bug you

I hate to say it ken but this is no way to attempt to become a mod
Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #90
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
We do have the itrader system but you have the same issue with that as any other feedback system and that is people actually using it.

You can turn off images if they bug you

I hate to say it ken but this is no way to attempt to become a mod
I was trying to say that we should make the iTrader system more accessible, ie put it in the sidebar with post count and whatnot. So it'd be easier for people to see someone's reputation.

Images don't bug me, but when people quote a large series of them, it gets repetitive and unnecessarily long. Someone mentioned earlier, I think it was Cole, that we should disable [img] quoting.

And I don't expect to actually get it, are you kidding? The powers-that-be would never allow it. But I'd like to show them that there is support on here, and people who believe that I could do a better job than status quo.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #91
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
I'd vote yes if n00bs weren't bashed every time there is an opportunity, but just firmly warned and swift action taken. I think n00dz should only be allowed in ///Members section too. I don't know how I feel about that reputation meter either. I iTrader the way it is. I was a member of a Jeep forum for years (JeepsUnlimited.com) and they had that sidebar thing and it got abused hard core. Also, there are other issues too. Ken, keep in mind I have not voted yet. Waiting to see any more issues come up and see what you think about them.

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #92
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Quote:
I was trying to say that we should make the iTrader system more accessible, ie put it in the sidebar with post count and whatnot. So it'd be easier for people to see someone's reputation.
I changed my mind from the above post. I say only do this in the "Classifieds" forum section.

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #93
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post
I changed my mind from the above post. I say only do this in the "Classifieds" forum section.
Although that would be ideal, it would be difficult to do from a coding aspect. I think a small little thing underneath Post count that says like I don't know "Itrader Rating: x" would be nice. Instead of having to go to a person's profile to view it.

I'd have to disagree with the noodz, I think it should be available to everyone. But like I said before, passwords should be kept in the purple land. And as mentioned before, I'd like to give Purple people more incentive by actually making sponsors give discounts in a new sub-forum under the Members forum called "Sponsor Specials".

There will obviously be a due process for noobies, it won't be insta-ban for anything stupid. Like I mentioned before, post history and general attitude will be taken into account before any actions. But people who try to scam and then get angry about it like JDinan330ci will be shown no mercy. And as much as I can't stand him, win-by-miles shouldn't be banned.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #94
chopstik

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Quote:
This is half just-for-fun, and half serious. I honestly think I can be a good moderator on here, and I ask for the support of my fellow fanatics to show everyone that it's not a bad idea (like most of you would think). True I have been banned before...a few times...but I am a fair person. I help those who seek knowledge, contribute meaningful threads, and always try to put noobs/idiots in their place. Most importantly, I am on here almost all the time, and any one who has PMed me can tell you that I answer almost instantly most of the time. There has been an influx of stupidity lately, lot of noobs who contribute nothing, and a lot of idiots who contribute nothing and don't help other fanatics. I want to help put an end to it.

Join me?

ken for mod??? F that!....ken for president!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #95
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post
ya keep certain things where it is relevant.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #96
BMW FTW

My Ride: no E46 :(
IBKGBA

Old 05-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #97
BMW FTW

My Ride: no E46 :(
Quote:
Not at all. 10-30 can be achieved pretty quickly, I want there to be a period of time where they can't post so they are forced to search for answers.
... or sign out and move to another forum
so it's a little "risky"

Old 05-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #98
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FTW View Post
... or sign out and move to another forum
so it's a little "risky"
While that may be true, I don't think we'll have that issue. For one, this forum does have a lot of valuable information they can use. And Bimmerforums has a similar system where new users cannot PM or post pictures until a certain post count, and I don't think they've had any problems.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #99
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
I personally would love to see Ken made a moderator mainly because I feel like our moderators aren't doing enough. I hate having the same four or five threads come up almost every day on the general chat forum. Yes, your car will make it over 100,000 miles, yes, ebay headers are a good buy, no we can't guess what your CEL means.

I believe Ken will de-crap the forum, and that he would be reasonable with punishment. If Tim doesn't make Ken a mod, he needs to get his moderators @sses in gear, and get them to crack down on $hit threads, as well as pursue some of Ken's ideas.

- Itrader feedback can be easily moved to the area under the username. That's a skin adjustment. It's not super accessible right now, neither is it encouraged to be used enough.
- No threads before a certain post count has advantages and disadvantages. We will see an immediate drop off in $hit threads, but an influx in revivals of threads in 2006.
- Coding for long images is impossible without serrrrrious work with an image processor and the like. It should still be made clear that such practices aren't allowed. I'm on another forum that probates people for posting images that break the tables horizontally, I think probations should be granted for people who do this no questions asked.
- Sponsor super specials is a great idea. No question about it.

If nothing else, these suggestions should be taken under advisement, if nothing more than for longevity of the forum. I know I get more discouraged reading every day by all the crap being posted, with nothing being done about it.

Favorite sponsors
Bavarian Soundwerks | Euro Spec

Mods : Performance : Active Autowerkes Stage 1 C38 New Subframe and TMS Rear Re-Enforcements Upgraded VANOS seals M3 Fuel Baffle KW V2 ZHP Control Arms E60 Short Shifter Sound : Bavarian Soundwereks Stage 2 DICE iPod Link Looks : Replica M3 Mirrors Replica M3 Front Bumper Matte Black Grillz LED Signals
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #100
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
This week alone:

Number of posts removed ~800
Number of infractions/warnings issued = 7
Number of Reported Posts responded to = 50
Number of Private Messages and threads moved = who knows
Moderating staff resting on our laurels = fat chance

This thread keeps getting better and better.