E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Mike325i

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to Mike325i Send a message via Yahoo to Mike325i
Easy coolant question

I'm about to change the coolant in my car and I have read the diy on bmw325i.net but I'm not completely positive on one thing. It says to turn the heater on but doesn't mention when to turn it off or anything like that. Am I supposed to keep the heater on while draining and filling or just when I'm draining the fluid?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
no, i think you just do all that when your bleeding it right?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Yeah. Fill it up a decent amount, then run the engine and keep filling with the heater on. When it starts to overflow, then you watch for bubbles in the bleed valve to know when you're done bleeding
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Mike325i

Thanks, but know I'm more confused because when I was looking underneath the car there is only one blue drain plug, not two like there is on the DIY.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
I think the 2nd one is up top isn't it. I think the way it is, one bleeder before the thermostat, and one after.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Mike325i

I dunno, there is a bleeder right next to the cap up on top and only one blue drain underneath. In the pics of the DIY it shows 2 blue drains underneath and the same stuff up top.

This is the pic of the DIY. On my car I drained the blue plug marked higher up in the picture, but the lower plug isn't there. I have a metal thing right in the way which I don't know what it is, maybe trans cooler or something. My car is a step, while the pictures are of a manual trans car.

I ended up draining the one plug that I found and the one on the block and I got like half of one of those wash buckets. Would have been more but most of the fluid that came out of the block ended up all over the floor.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
I think you only need to drain the radiator plug (the top one). The engine block too...
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Some cars (automatics?) only have one drain plug in that area. Don't worry about it.
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Do it during drain to help get all the old fluid out and again when you are filling. Just recently did mine and it filled fine. Remove the bleed screw. You must go SLOWLY during fill when it starts to top off. Let it sit and add more till the level stops dropping at the bleed screw. Be patient! I started mine to let it warm up and did NOT have to add any additional fluid. Don't understand why people have so many problems with air in the system and overheating. This procedure works!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Turn on the heater when draining then turn off. Put your plugs back in then clean up the ocean of coolant underneath the engine drain (use the biggest pan you can find). I replaced my radiator drain plug because it had a tiny crack in it (48,700 mi). You only need to make this plug snug, don't wrench it down.

Turn the heater back on Full Warm, ignition ON. Pour your coolant mix (50/50 distilled water and BMW coolant) VERY slowly. Take your time. You can leave the bleeder open if you like , just stop pouring when it leaks out. Put the Tank cap back on, turn on the engine and let it warm up not super hot just warm. Go back and open up the bleeder screw and look for tiny bubbles. When there are no more bubbles close the screw. (snug, don't wrench it down). It helps greatly to get the front of the car at least 6-12 inches up in the air.

Leave the undertray off and go for a short drive. Take some coolant mix and a funnel with you and watch the temp guage. Stay close to your home if you like. Check the plugs for leaks.

Some cars a piece of cake and go very quick and easy. Once in a while you get an air bubble trapped in there and you have to keep bleeding. If the temp guage gets hot you most likely have some trapped air. Obviously don't let the temp guage get anywhere near the red.

Have fun and tell us how it went...
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
ntltfc

My Ride: bmw
I just did the coolant change but did not drain the engine block and only jacked up my driver side using the jack that came with the car. I refilled the coolant slowly but did not see any bubble coming out of the vent screw. I did have heater on at 91 and lowest fan setting.

The reason I did not have any bubble coming out of vent screw is because I did not drain the engine block? How long should I drive to monitor the temperature to make sure I don't have air?

Thanks
ntltfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #12
GatorHawk

My Ride: 01 330ci M/T
Just make sure the temperature needed hits the middle (12 o'clock position). When it cools completely, check the level in the expansion tank again and top off if necessary.
GatorHawk is offline   Reply With Quote