E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 AM   #1
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Diy bmw ews editor lite 3.2

Hey guys, this will be a DIY for the bmw EWS editor lite. the removal process of the EWS can be found at my other DIY using the ak90 http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...007&highlight=

The EWS Editor Lite 3.2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B74...ew?usp=sharing

Anyways, , this DIY will also feature a special "how to get yourself out of an ews jam when you resetted it using PA Softs reset function, which requires shorting out certain contact points or something rather. I had considered attempting it myself once, just curious what it did. For this member, he couldn't drive his car.

This DIY will also feature a theory that a dme/ews combination isn't needed in order to guarantee success of starting a car. its probably the easiest for your average joe who lacks this equipment, but I may end up proving that just using the dme or just the ews can be done, without switching out anything else out, including keys.

Of course this will all be in theory until I prove it, but all thanks for this member jacking up his own ews, contacting me, and allowing me to pull up the info, it clicked in my head. Again, still a theory, but will hopefully be proven soon.

I will start this DIY at the point where I assume you've already installed the software and removed your EWS. Now with the EWS editor lite, there are pros and cons. This ews editor looks to be very quick, convenient, and not require the tedious task of scraping the coating off the MCU on the EWS electronics board. It only requires that you scrap a solder point and connect a harness to where the car ness adapts to the EWS.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

The hardware came with that little harness, where one ned connects to 3 pins on the EWS, and the other is a metal tipped pen to hold temporarily on the single solder point of the ews during times of reading or writing the EWS.

The drawback of the ews editor lite is, being able to adjust ews 2 or the older 3 versions. The metal pins on the ews connector are like 3 tiny sliver of a blade. The older versions were large thick round pins. The editor didn't come with anything to hook it into those. I thought of using these quick connect types that are round and are insulted. once you've obtained the pinout readings which directly corresponds to the same ones on our EWS compared to the older ones, like the ones on the E39 ews, you find some way to get contact from their oversized large round pin connector on the older ews, to hook up to that harness they gave you.

On the wire they supplied, the red wire, indicated to correspond with pinout 9 on the EWS is the ground. 10, which is brown is the power (which is diretly opposite of bmws standard wiring color schematic) and the wire 13 all the way at the end in blue is the kbus line.

anyways, once you've done that, you'll need to locate that solder point of which you scrap a little bit of that coating off, and then launch the software.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Upon launching the software, first thing you should do is hit the read ews button. At that time the software will attempt to read the ews. as you're doing that, you take that little metal tipped pen and hold it on to that solder contact. Mine was actually a springy type of pen, so not only did i have to hold it there, but push down on the pen. within a short amount of time, you should be greeted with something similar to this image here.

Although this isn't youare no longer there for me
r regular looking EWS file. If you notice, there are a lot of FFFFFs all throughout the screen. He attempted that ews reset procedure using pa soft that requires manually wiring something together. It definitely did reset the EWS, but more along the lines of blanking it out.

The EWS editor lite has a reset function on it, but that's more along the lines of what we need in order to fix it. the reset button here resets it back to factory settings...... except for one important thing. The fixed codes set to each key, known already by BMW from day 1 , which is how they can sell you a key that will start your car, will also be resetted. Meaning as soon as you hit this button and didn't back it up, you are in a world of hurting. But then again, if you're attempting this, you should already have an EWS editor and can make your own keys.

With all that being said, most people following this DIY should have normal encounters with me. anyways, this member wanted me to see if i could get his old key to start his car again, as well as a new one coded, since he no longer could get keys from the dealer. the DME/EWS has been switched out before. So remember to back up the EWS under "Save Bin" option.

Where were we, ah yes, so once we read out the EWS, its time to make some keys. Most of you should see on your EWS key slot data that keys number 0-2 should all be marked as active at the minimum. by default they are set as active because these came from the factory. anyways, this guy's file isn't marked active and i won't need to.

I just wanted to explain to other members that when programming a key, the important thing that needs to exchange hands is the fixed keycode. that tells the EWS which key slot this key is attempting to access. In this case, we can set it at whatever.

Most people will just go with the key slot number that's next in line. that's great. what you'll need to do next is, look for the option to read key. Click the drop down box to select the key slot you wish to program, the hit the read/write button. a pop up box will appear. what you'll need to do now is set your blank transponder on to the EWS editor lite. then hit the write key button.

Next you'll need to hit the read button, to read the key over once you've written it. once it reads successfuly, then click on the "verify" button to make sure that the system will test it to insure no errors are found. if it says mismatch, find out why, otherwise, it should say keys match.

once you're done that, put your ews back together and go out and attempt to start your car. remember that you should hear silence your try. turn the car back off, and give it another try. then the car should start then.

As far as my theory on being able to use any EWS with any transponder, whether its used before or blank, will need to be actually tested first. let me do a real world test before i post up the procedures. thanks.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-13-2015 at 03:21 AM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
Great DIY, and glad my **** up could help.

I think you are right about being able to add any key (used or new) to ews, as long as key's password can be read and written into ews. I will see if I still have spare key from a different car and maybe we can try to add it to ews and see if it will work.
Before I contacted you I wanted to use that spare key and write its password into ews via PA Soft, but I don't have anything to read the key password with, whereas AK90 or EWS editor can do that.

Last edited by PancakeBimmer; 04-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.
PancakeBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Sorry it rained cats and dogs today so I didn't want to get more soaked than I already was from work.

The only reason why I theorize that this is possible is because how the reset function on the ews editor allowed me to do a real factory default reset in your ews. The odd thing was how the fixed codes, ones which bmw would have on record in order to make you a working key. The fixed code was auto populated on all 10 key slots and changed randomly to new codes each time.

This was totally different than what I thought a car/dme specific ews should have behaved. I would have assumed resetting it would have restored unchangeable fixed key codes back to their original numbers.

What this implies are these possible breakthroughs: fixed codes can be changed according to users will. This will allow transponders set with fixed key codes for other cars be added into the ews key slot. Now I have confirmed that this is already possible and the ews has accepted it. I can also say that I ran what they call a "verify" check option that allows you to simulate whatever info on that transponder, will react to the info on the ews, and it passed! That meant that once I actually initiate a real world test run, there should be no reason why it won't start the car.

In the past, I've always attempted to manipulate the transponder info, only to fail. Only the rolling codes ahs perhaps mileage obviously are the only data allowed to change
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote