E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
skipole

My Ride: '02 330ci
Stupid Angel Eyes Question

Always having been a Honda guy, I'm new to the whole concept of angel eyes. It seems like every BMW enthusiast knows everything there is to know about angel eyes, but I really know nothing. I don't even really get the concept.

Question is: when are angel eyes on? Do they replace your DRL's? Are they always on, regardless of whether Xenon's are on or not? Do you have to turn them on manually? I just don't get it, and I simply cannot find an answer to this through all my searches.

I'm thinking about picking up a set, but ideally I'd prefer that they replace my DRL's (I'm in Canada so the DRL option is turned on since DRL's are mandatory here).

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Aerick

My Ride: 2003 M3
You can wire them to be on whenever you want (on switch), only when the car is on (most commonly wired this way), or when your corner lights are on. Basically, you can have it any way you like. Just depends on how you wire it.

They do not replace DRLs. DRLs are completely separate and you will have to get your local dealer to turn them off. I don't think they will though, since you're in Canada.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
With our kits, we include a full wiring harness with built in remote kit so they will fade on when you unlock the car with your factory remote, stay on whenever the car is on (even if the headlights are on or off so they function as a DRL too) and fade off when you lock the car.

In addition, if you wish to have full control over them, we offer a Kill Switch DIY so you can install a switch to turn them on and off at will.

Here are the two kits currently available for your car:

Predator Chromium for Most BMW (CCFL Based)

Predator Orion for Most BMW (LED Based)

Both kits are nearly identical with the difference being that the Chromiums use a CCFL ring with ballasts and the Orions use an LED based ring with no ballasts. We are also releasing an Orion V2 along side the current version of Orion which features more high output LEDs.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
definitely recommend doing it.... IMHO it looks really good... i'm assuming your CI is pre facelift so that means you dont need to bake ur headlights... installation will be really easy, you just have to remove some clips
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Everything you need to know about Angel Eyes can be found in this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=564135

Then simply wait for aurora to start shipping:

tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
skipole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
With our kits, we include a full wiring harness with built in remote kit so they will fade on when you unlock the car with your factory remote, stay on whenever the car is on (even if the headlights are on or off so they function as a DRL too) and fade off when you lock the car.

In addition, if you wish to have full control over them, we offer a Kill Switch DIY so you can install a switch to turn them on and off at will.

Here are the two kits currently available for your car:

Predator Chromium for Most BMW (CCFL Based)

Predator Orion for Most BMW (LED Based)

Both kits are nearly identical with the difference being that the Chromiums use a CCFL ring with ballasts and the Orions use an LED based ring with no ballasts. We are also releasing an Orion V2 along side the current version of Orion which features more high output LEDs.
Thanks Nick. I'm currently considering the Orion - what's different about the V2? Also, if I understand correctly, I need to have my DRL's turned off or else the Angel Eyes will be on with the DRL's also? Wow, that would be disgustingly ugly. Anyone know if there's a way to do this somewhere other than the dealer? I have a feeling my local Bimmer dealership will either try to charge me several hundred dollars for this, or tell me to go f*ck myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier88 View Post
definitely recommend doing it.... IMHO it looks really good... i'm assuming your CI is pre facelift so that means you dont need to bake ur headlights... installation will be really easy, you just have to remove some clips
Yep, pre-facelift ('02). I'm not actually that huge on the look of them on a stock car (mine is still stock atm) but they're cheap and easy to install
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Here is more info about the V2:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=573846

You do have to get the DRLs disabled by the dealer which I believe cannot be done in Canada. The only other way would be to take out the bulb and install resistors to trick the computer into thinking the bulb was still present.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
skipole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Everything you need to know about Angel Eyes can be found in this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=564135

Then simply wait for aurora to start shipping:

That's a great threat Tom, I've actually seen it before. It didn't actually answer my original question though (re: DRL).
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
skipole

Quote:

You do have to get the DRLs disabled by the dealer which I believe cannot be done in Canada. The only other way would be to take out the bulb and install resistors to trick the computer into thinking the bulb was still present.
That sounds like a reasonable solution. That bulb doesn't double as the high beam, does it?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post
That's a great threat Tom, I've actually seen it before. It didn't actually answer my original question though (re: DRL).
Any independent mechanic should be able to turn them off with a GT1 or Autologic as long as the AEs are functioning as DRLs.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post
That sounds like a reasonable solution. That bulb doesn't double as the high beam, does it?
Nope, your car has bixenons which uses the low beam for both the high and low beam. The inner beam is only used for DRLs or if you flash your high beams.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I just skimmed through so someone may have addressed your DRL question. The DRLs are independent of the halos, one doesn't have anything to do with the other. If you have the DRLs turned on, many people (and I would too) have them turned off when adding angel eyes.

LEDs seem to be the new thing with halos, it's a simpler install and a more robust system.

/Moved.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
Quote:

there aren't independent shops which can disable this feature?
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
skipole

Quote:
Nope, your car has bixenons which uses the low beam for both the high and low beam. The inner beam is only used for DRLs or if you flash your high beams.
Right on. I definitely think this would be the easiest solution, then. What size resistor would I need? The V2's look good, Nick - any idea when they'll be released?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
drchuck72

My Ride: 2003 M3
not a stupid question

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I've spoken with a mechanic here in the GTA and I think he knows how to wire the angel eyes in such a way that they would replace the DRLs. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of guys do it that way.

If you live in the GTA, talk to Rocco at RMP Motors. If you check the e46toronto.ca forum, he has a forum there as one of the sponsors.
Supersprint Exhaust

drchuck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
PhillyKatBMW

My Ride: BMW
Holy crap...there are LED based systems that are brighter than the CCFL? I've always stayed away from angel eyes cuz of the CCFL's "finicky" nature...

So which ones are brighter EAS's e2 or the JL's OrionV2?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #17
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyKatBMW View Post
Holy crap...there are LED based systems that are brighter than the CCFL? I've always stayed away from angel eyes cuz of the CCFL's "finicky" nature...

Until we see an actual picture of our competition - ours.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
skipole

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I've spoken with a mechanic here in the GTA and I think he knows how to wire the angel eyes in such a way that they would replace the DRLs. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of guys do it that way.

If you live in the GTA, talk to Rocco at RMP Motors. If you check the e46toronto.ca forum, he has a forum there as one of the sponsors.
Thanks dude, I'm actually in Victoria but I'll have to call around about that. Failing that, I'll go for the ghetto resistor mod
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
tom @ eas
european auto source

For those that requested - daytime pictures:

Videos have been shot, the Orions (left) are finally coming off this weekend.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyKatBMW View Post

Here's the real answer:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...on#post7923178