E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
xcoolnessx

My Ride: Rover
Very nice very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics. Vids please

Photobucket

xcoolnessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
nashvillezhp

My Ride: 03 ZHP AA Stg II
In Vegas for a few days work and haven't had access to a computer. Talked with my guy at the install shop and everything is about done. Just got an email from the AA/UPS guys that my ECU is in transit and will be in Nashville on Weds. I'll be back in Nashville on Thursday so I should have a report by the end of the week. While I was on the phone with the install guy he had to run because they were going to pick up their Dyno for the shop. Hope to have a dyno run or two in the next week or so as well. I'll post the results.

The whole process has run very smoothly so far and props to AA and Karma Performance Engineering in Nashville.

In regards to the install price, I'll tell you when it's all said and done. Don't know the exact charge yet. Also, I haven't upgraded my clutch. Plan was to feel her out for a bit and potentially upgrade the clutch and rear diff after driving her.

In other news, I did the Richard Petty Nascar experience at the Vegas speedway on Sunday. Wow is all I have to say. One of the best things I have ever done. Guess who got best lap time?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #23
nashvillezhp

Sorry for the delay in the update. Finally got the car back on Friday afternoon last week and went out of town for memorial weekend. I got to drive her on the interstate for a while and am very happy with the results. I can notice improvement in the lower portion of the rpm band, but the real difference is after 4,500 rpms. She really starts to scream. I'm very pleased with how smooth she accelerates. 3rd gear on the interstate if a lot of fun. 55-95mph takes no time at all now. Couple of things that were a little different that what I expected:

1. Sound of the intake - The intake can sure pull in some air. It's pretty loud at idle.
2. Blow off valve - love the sound of the blow off valve. Louder than I expected. The combination of the intake and blow off valve would scare the s**t out of some person walking by after a rev. Sounds like a jet engine taking off.
3. Traction - actually suprised how much traction I have with my 255 mich ps2's. I haven't launched her hard yet, but she doesn't have any wheel spin just running through the gears.

I don't have my boost guage on yet, but will shortly. Also, the plan is to have her dynoed this week on a dynodynamic at Carma Performance Engineering in Nashville. I'll get her cleaned up and snap some pics and videos.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Sweet. Glad it worked out for you. We need visuals!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #25
2003330i

My Ride: SC'330izhp,09 335i,
congrats. what hp does that kit make
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #26
nashvillezhp

AA's dynojet showed 330 whp on a 330i. Since my car is a ZHP and I have the AA exhaust on it. I was thinking somewhere around 345 whp on mine.

Here's a photo of her I took in my work parking lot. She's still dirty. I'll get some nice photos of her soon enough. Been really busy lately.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #27
nashvillezhp

Had some issues with the belt and finally got them resolved. Not going to get into that though. Got it dynoed on a Dynodynamic yesterday here in Nashville. It was about 85 degrees outside and I put down 291rwhp. Using this http://www.to4r.com/calcs/pwtq.php conversion, looks like I'm around 342rwph on a dynojet and 398 at the crank. Take the conversion for what you want, but using it for a general guideline since AA measures their kit on a dynojet. Don't have the graph but hope to in the next week or so.

This is a AA C38 Stage II kit with their cat back exhaust on a 6speed manual ZHP.

60-120mph is pretty nasty.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #28
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
291whp on a dynodynamics is no joke Get her to the strip and see what she can do

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Originally Posted by activ3 View Post
291whp on a dynodynamics is no joke Get her to the strip and see what she can do
x2!!!!

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #30
nashvillezhp

Closest 1/4 track is an hour and change away. I'll get up there at some point. The launch is pretty weak without the LSD though.

Think I should be able to outrun an m3 now? The car feels faster on the highway than my father's 996 911.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #31
Activ3

Stock m3s dyno ~270whp on a dynojet, you should pull them pretty hard on the highway. I'm curious as to what you'll trap at the strip, possibly 110+ if you can launch it decently (2.0 60ft or so). Do you have headers? If not, I'd definitely suggest them, your stock manifolds are very restrictive with the power your making now.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #32
nashvillezhp

I wanna get headers. I already have the AA cat back exhaust. The issue with headers seems to be passing emissions. I need to pass emissions and don't want a super loud car. Any sugguestions? I'm all ears.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #33
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillezhp View Post
I wanna get headers. I already have the AA cat back exhaust. The issue with headers seems to be passing emissions. I need to pass emissions and don't want a super loud car. Any sugguestions? I'm all ears.
The other issue with headers is finding a method to reliably prevent CELs. Non-foulers seem to be the best current solution but too many people still seem to report an occaisonal CEL for me to consider going this route. If anyone can come up with a guaranteed CEL free solution, I'd love to hear about it.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #34
steelgrey330ci

My Ride: 2002 330ci
one of the best mods on these cars is the header upgrade, You will find that the headers will give you such a nice top end power band that the cel light wont matter.

As for emissions you will need to know someone that can help you out there for the paper work if you know what i mean. (same car on the machine and he's your paper work sir lol) shhhhh

you will come around soon once you are used to the power and crave more.

19 x 8.5, 19 x 10 Hm2's/ASA CHARGER TM15 10.5 psi
Hamann Full Add-on kit/kw Varriant 2's coilovers
UUC Sway Bars/UUC M5 presure plate & 8.5lb flywheel
Sach II clutch/AA front and rear strut bars
Angle eyes/Technik Oil Cooler/Technik Headers
Technik FI cams 248/256/ 38lbs injecters
Supersprint Cat back/EVO 3 Short Shifter
Port & polish head, Ferra valves
Dyno 388RWHP & 325TQ To the wheels

CAR IS SOLD
steelgrey330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #35
beanfree

My Ride: 330i S'chgd ZHP
Your numbers are off. You are probably putting out 360 max to the crank. I am not convinced that there is a 15% loss with a dynojet either. I put out 310 on a mustang and was even with a m3 that put out 278 on the same dyno. My car traps at 106 mph. 1/4's in low 13's. I would imagine that you would trap around 104 and a mid 13's time. Most people seem to hopelessly optimistic about the times they will run and the power they make. Also, keep in mind that a M3 has a 20% higher gear ratio and that multiplies the torque that they put down.

I have done over 50 runs on the strip and 50 or 60 pulls (from 50 up) against various m3's (with a 5.5 inch pulley) and we are dead even (I do have the stock gears with a LSD). I am going down to a 5 inch pulley and should pull comfortably. I also have cam's, custom intake, headers, racing cats, exhaust and weigh 3218 lbs.

Just enjoy your car and be happy that you are as fast as a M3.
TE ASA SC, 260/268 TE FI Cams, 38# inj, IK 27, TMS 3.07 finned LSD, F/R subfr reinf, rear cmbr rm reinf, UUC BBK F & R, Ltw fly, Seg kvlr clutch, Sways, Evo III ssk & DSSR, Hawk HPS, H & R C'overs, CDV, P'port SRX, 3M S'guard, MOMO seats, RT cats, Borla cat back, Odyssey 680 battery, Neez Eurocross 18/8.5 /9.5, 245,275 D'lop *spec, Oil nut, Clch stp, gauges, Cstm intake, 131mm pulley, vac. can, catch can & al. r. subfr bushings.
beanfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #36
Activ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfree View Post
Your numbers are off. You are probably putting out 360 max to the crank. I am not convinced that there is a 15% loss with a dynojet either. I put out 310 on a mustang and was even with a m3 that put out 278 on the same dyno. My car traps at 106 mph. 1/4's in low 13's. I would imagine that you would trap around 104 and a mid 13's time. Most people seem to hopelessly optimistic about the times they will run and the power they make. Also, keep in mind that a M3 has a 20% higher gear ratio and that multiplies the torque that they put down.

I have done over 50 runs on the strip and 50 or 60 pulls (from 50 up) against various m3's (with a 5.5 inch pulley) and we are dead even (I do have the stock gears with a LSD). I am going down to a 5 inch pulley and should pull comfortably. I also have cam's, custom intake, headers, racing cats, exhaust and weigh 3218 lbs.

Just enjoy your car and be happy that you are as fast as a M3.

I think your gearing may be limiting you quite a bit... have you considered putting in a 3.38 or 3.46? Even if its an open diff, you could try it to see how much of a difference it makes against one of the M3s you've raced.

Also, keep in mind that the OP is on close to 11lbs I believe... 34Xwhp makes sense to me.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #37
beanfree

My Ride: 330i S'chgd ZHP
He will need to be a lot more than 11psi to get to 340 whp. With all my mods I am at 310 on a mustang (which reads lower than a dynodynamics). Sure with a 3.46, I multiply my torque by 15%, lower my fuel consumption by 15% and rev higher on the highway. Keep in mind that I also have a lot of weight reducing mods. In any event I am happy with the power my car makes. There is always a faster car. I just think the OP is not being realistic. My .02
TE ASA SC, 260/268 TE FI Cams, 38# inj, IK 27, TMS 3.07 finned LSD, F/R subfr reinf, rear cmbr rm reinf, UUC BBK F & R, Ltw fly, Seg kvlr clutch, Sways, Evo III ssk & DSSR, Hawk HPS, H & R C'overs, CDV, P'port SRX, 3M S'guard, MOMO seats, RT cats, Borla cat back, Odyssey 680 battery, Neez Eurocross 18/8.5 /9.5, 245,275 D'lop *spec, Oil nut, Clch stp, gauges, Cstm intake, 131mm pulley, vac. can, catch can & al. r. subfr bushings.
beanfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #38
Activ3

I guess we'll see if/when he gets to the strip

Also I'm pretty sure that the dyno dynamics reads lower than the mustang, with the dynojet reading the highest of the three.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #39
nashvillezhp

Dynodynamics reads the lowest from what I understand.

Edit... AA posted dyno for their stage two is like 330 whp on a dynojet. I think it makes sense to have a bit more than that when I have a zhp and aa catback exhaust. But who cares about numbers. I know the car pulls hard and that's what matters. Found the perfect place to top her out. Got a buddy with gps mph too.

Last edited by nashvillezhp; 09-27-2008 at 12:36 PM.
nashvillezhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #40
MATT0404

My Ride: F800GS
Dyno Dynamics do read very low. My old WRX made 345 whp on EngineLogic's dyno dynamics down in Houston, TX. I was able to pull an 11.6 @ 115mph with it.
MATT0404 is offline   Reply With Quote