E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Chronic2112

My Ride: 1999 328i Sedan
Power Steering Pump - DIY

I was having some terrible noise coming from my power steering and thanks to Dave96dcm and others for helping me confirm that it was the pump.

The Stealership wanted $900 I believe to replace this new (might have been more now that I think about it.) And someone here (thanks) pointed me to a parts yard in Providence RI that had used and rebuilt parts. I got what looked like a really nice used pump for $75.

In addition to the pump, 1 quart of transmission fluid is needed to complete this DIY.

First get some help:

Then take a look at the top:

Step1 - remove all the fluid you can from resevoir:

1999 328i Sedan
Chronic2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Chronic2112

part2: Power Steering DIY

Jack up Car, I like to use this for a jack point. Then I put a jack stand under the side where the outside jack point is - and lower the car onto the jackstand:

Remove the splash guard from under the front. You will need a Phillips screw-driver. Just turn these 180 degrees the screws donít come out, just turn them to unlock.

Remove the cap off the front of the belt tensioner and I used an Allen wrench and breaker bar at the top of the car - from the top push to right to loosen belt...reach down and pull it off pulleys.

Remove the 2 hoses going to the power steering pump, one of these required an open-end wrench larger than I had >16mm (17mm?):

Remove the power steering pulley, 3x 13mm small bolts. This is part of my Turner Motorsports underdrive pulleys so I was very careful not to damage it. Was a real problem for me because I couldn't figure out how to do this without the pulley turning...so I locked a vice grip on it...not want I would have preferred to do:

I also noticed that a duct that vents air to the alternator had been worn / damaged by the belt at some point:

The Bentley Service Manual said to remove the sway bar, so I did - but in hindsight I don't know that is nessasary. Take out the 3 bolts on Power Steering Pump to remove it.

1999 328i Sedan
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Chronic2112

part 3: Power Steering Pump DIY

Put the pulley back on, sway bar, belt (oh yea, before you take the belt off write on it with Chalk noting which direction is goes so that you can replace it the same way...I'm sure many people take advantage at this point to just replace it with a new one.)

Put the splash guard and everything else back together and lower the car.

I added about 1 QT of transmission fluid to the reservoir while the car was running...turn the wheel back and forth and add a bit more till it's at the 'full line'.

AND OMG it sounds so awesome now! Purs like a kitten now!

I hope this helps anyone else that needs to do it and has yet to tackle it. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most difficult DIY) I would give this about a 3.5 -didn't require a lot of crazy tools and would take someone about 1-2 hrs. total.

Tim

1999 328i Sedan
Old 05-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
\\V

My Ride: 2002 AW 330ci
Great job on the write up!
\\V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Chronic2112

Thanks Hamann, I wanted to also add...

These are the 3 bolts you have to remove on the Power Steering Pump:

1999 328i Sedan

Last edited by Chronic2112; 05-17-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
btw, out of curiosity, what pressure PS is that pump. Does it say on the sticker ? Mine (later type LUK LF-20) was 110.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Wow!!! Your going to make my PSP change easy. Where can i get a pump for a 328ci at a good price??
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Chronic2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Wow!!! Your going to make my PSP change easy. Where can i get a pump for a 328ci at a good price??
There are many online resources: realoem.com, bavauto.com and more.

I would suggest what someone pointed me to, look for a local auto parts yard, if you want something cheap. But expect to pay $100-$300 for a used/rebuilt one. Have to look locally for Houston.

Good luck!

1999 328i Sedan
Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Chronic2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
btw, out of curiosity, what pressure PS is that pump. Does it say on the sticker ? Mine (later type LUK LF-20) was 110.
There was a label on the pump but I didn't really look at it too closely as the one I got came from a 1999, 328i, manual, Sedan. And I visually inspected it to make sure it was the same as my pump. Good question though...

1999 328i Sedan
Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
tony325ci_51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic2112 View Post
There was a label on the pump but I didn't really look at it too closely as the one I got came from a 1999, 328i, manual, Sedan. And I visually inspected it to make sure it was the same as my pump. Good question though...
Yeah, I was thinking there's this story that at some time BMW made a mod that "lightened" the steering, then because drivers complained of having less "feel" they made it slightly heavier again. I'm guessing at some point between your year and mine they introduced a higher pressure pump (120 - 130 PS ?), then went down to 110PS again. But I'm just guessing ? That's why I thought it would be interesting to know.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Chronic2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking there's this story that at some time BMW made a mod that "lightened" the steering, then because drivers complained of having less "feel" they made it slightly heavier again. I'm guessing at some point between your year and mine they introduced a higher pressure pump (120 - 130 PS ?), then went down to 110PS again. But I'm just guessing ? That's why I thought it would be interesting to know.
That, and consider I use underdrive pulleys that turn slower at the same RPM as the OEM pulleys...so my PS Pump is probably operating at a slightly lower pressure.

1999 328i Sedan
Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Very niceeeeee.....good DIY...and nice pics...

also if i might add...in order to get the bolts out of the power steering pulley without out using a vice grip and possibly damaging the pulley...you have to loosen the bolts before you remove the belt
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Chronic2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post

also if i might add...in order to get the bolts out of the power steering pulley without out using a vice grip and possibly damaging the pulley...you have to loosen the bolts before you remove the belt
I knew there was a solution...I will do that next time.

1999 328i Sedan
Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Question: what size allen wrench was required to move the tensioner pulley before I do mine this weekend at the power steering pump i got says LUK-120
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post

Beat me to it! I was going to give the same advice. Nice writeup, so how much PS fluid leaks out when you remove the hoses? Is a catchpan necessary? That was the only other thing that was missing in the writeup.
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
tony325ci_51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Question: what size allen wrench was required to move the tensioner pulley before I do mine this weekend at the power steering pump i got says LUK-120
I seem to remember it's a Torx bit, not allen. Sorry can't remember exact size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
how much PS fluid leaks out when you remove the hoses? Is a catchpan necessary?
Clamp the hose to minimise fluid loss before removing it, then unscrew and remove lower threaded union (17mm I think), have tray in place to catch fluid that will drop. Top up (or replace) fluid with Dexron 3 ATF.

Read my posts and the linked threads thoroughly to give you more info. Note the pics in this thread DIY are of the earlier LUK LF-30, not a LUK LF-20.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...47&postcount=7

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=15

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=578176
Old 06-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
magnuzza

My Ride: Black 323i
Wow great DIY Guide! Thank you so much. Will change mine this week. About the belt, is that belt called power steering belt? Also, do I need to remove the sway bar?
magnuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
bmwmedic

My Ride: 323i 99 01 530i sp
I take exception to your first picture caption.
Cheap Labor!!?? I Hardly think so.

Just so you don't use that moniker too loosely, the latest estimate was something like $250,000 to take that junior assistant from eating/pooping/vomiting machine, thru cute, then thru dangerous teenage thug, to somewhat socialized semi-independent member of society.
Not cheap.
But admittedly, there are some fringe benefits.
Good luck.
Nice DIY, thanks, where is one on just changing PS fluid?
bmwmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #19
Chronic2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuzza View Post
Wow great DIY Guide! Thank you so much. Will change mine this week. About the belt, is that belt called power steering belt? Also, do I need to remove the sway bar?

Sometimes it's called the 'main engine drive belt' in the service manual. it is the one on the right side as you look down into the engine bay from above.

The service manual said to remove the driver side of the sway bar...I did this without doing this.

And on the 'Cheap Labor' reply...you are correct!

1999 328i Sedan
Old 07-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Daemonix

My Ride: '99 328i
Send a message via AIM to Daemonix
Just for informatoin: I just changed out my power steering pump, and did *not* have to take out the fan shroud and fan in order to get the pump out from the bottom. There was plenty of room for me to get it around the swaybar. I would suggest that people doing this DIY would loosen the bolts on the pulley before loosening the belt, *AND* loosen the high pressure fitting. When it's bolted to the car it makes it alot easier.

And lastly, once you loosen up the clamp holding on the big low pressure hose, get the hose off of the pump before you take the pump off. Mine was a little stuck on and was a pain in the ass with the pump just dangling by the hose. (Things were slippery with power steering fluid and grease.) Let me know if you have any questions!

-Daemonix