E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
05' 330ci Rear diff fluid change.

Changed my rear differential fluid today in preparation for 3,000 miles of driving over the next 6 weeks. Some notes for those of you who haven't done this: It's very easy to do took maybe :45 mintutes tops. After safely jacking the car up and making sure it's level.

1)Always remove the fill bolt (14mm) first. I pre soaked mine with PB.
2) I used a 1/2 drive 14mm bolt on a 1/2 inch breaker bar. (A 3/8 drive would be perfect but I couldn't locate a 3/8 drive 14mm drive bolt.
3) I didn't get a photo of the 79,000 fluid but it was fairly dark. I assumed it was the origainal because it smelled like crap. (Pentosin maybe)
4) Refilled the fluid which took slightly over 1 bottle. I did some research and it boiled down to either Redline or Liqui Moly. I have Redline 75W-90 in my SSG/SMG gearbox so I decided to try something different. I used liqui Moly Full Synthetic 75W-90 GL5
For non-Limited slip "open differentials. $16.00 from ECS tuning.
5) I purchased a fluid transfer pump from Autozone for less than $15.00 but didn't use it because the Liqui-Moly bottles have a convenient little extendable tube built into the bottle. I'll save the pump for a gearbox flush.
6) I went by the dealer to pick up crush washers for the drain and fill bolts but realized the bolts were the built in gasket type which I cleaned off and reused.
7) After filling the fill hole until fresh fluid spilled out you clean it off, attach the fill bolt and tighten. I believe the bolts are supposed to be torqued to 42ft lbs (not 100% sure) but I've been wrenching for a while now and I simply bottom out the bolt then snug it up tight after that.
8) Test drove the car on a short highway run at 60mph and to be honest, I couldn't tell a difference in sound or gear changes even with the windows up and AC off.
And that's it.
It'll be a nice piece of mind knowing I've got fresh Gold colored fluid back there.
Some pics.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6711.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	645475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6710.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	645476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6712.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	645478  

Technically 05SSG

Last edited by 05SMG; 11-19-2016 at 06:40 PM.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
juslookin

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP
Should have done tranny fluid as well. I try to change both at the same time since its the same job and its right there
juslookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
Yup. Did that with the new clutch this summer. On my gearbox there is plate that I have to remove so it's a little more involved than the rear diff.

Technically 05SSG
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote