E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #101
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Well I have the parts on order so when I get them and do the job I'll post here if I have bolts or torx bolts

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #102
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
Well I have the parts on order so when I get them and do the job I'll post here if I have bolts or torx bolts
i guess you have 2000 323i. Not sure if they used trox bolts back in 2000, what engine is that? I know for sure you have totally different engine so you could have bolts .
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #103
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Bought a used pump off eBay for 80$...should be here tuesday. I am going to put it in either this next weekend or the one after that. I'm putting in a new reservoir too. Looks pretty straight forward.
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #104
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
OK did the job on Saturday, a big thanks to my friend Dave that lent me a nice propane heater so that I didn't freeze my a$$ off. I didn't take any pics sorry but I can confirm that there are 3 TORX bolts holding the pump on to the bracket that it is bolted to. The bracket has bolts holding it on to what looks like and accessory drive bracket, the pump is right underneath the alternator. The job was pretty straight forward a few things to note for people thinking about doing this job. 1. loosen the pulley bolts with the belt on, 2 replace the reservoir with the pump, not sure how many people know this but there is a filter in the reservoir. So on high mileage cars this should be mandatory. 3. Flush your system, now I was able to do this with the pump disconnected (and the car on jack stand of course) turning the wheel from right to left lock to lock the old oil will come out the reservoir to pump feed line have someone ready to catch it as it comes out. Assembly is straight forward, well worth the time as shops will charge you $500 easy or more to do this job. My cost $200 in parts Nice!

LOVE THIS FORUM

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #105
vincent00

My Ride: 330Ci
beside Pump reservoir and Pump itself, anything else needs to buy together?

just to be sure we have a List of Material needed, which will made this post a great DIY bible for changing steering pump.
vincent00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #106
aleksankazakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent00 View Post
beside Pump reservoir and Pump itself, anything else needs to buy together?

just to be sure we have a List of Material needed, which will made this post a great DIY bible for changing steering pump.
you are good! Just dont forget tools for TorX bolts
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #107
vincent00

My Ride: 330Ci
certainly, nice, I find out it maybe good to have a pair of clamps too (for the hose connect to the pump), right?
I will try to buy the pump from pelican, which is from Atlantic enterprise, says it's enhance the shaft, looks not bad, and seeing some positive feedback for non-OEM part since OEM LF-20 is not a real "high quality" stuff at all, and and much higher price.

it's really a pain having an aged BMW, just do not have that much time dealing with them and really annoying sometimes.
vincent00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #108
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent00 View Post
certainly, nice, I find out it maybe good to have a pair of clamps too (for the hose connect to the pump), right?
I will try to buy the pump from pelican, which is from Atlantic enterprise, says it's enhance the shaft, looks not bad, and seeing some positive feedback for non-OEM part since OEM LF-20 is not a real "high quality" stuff at all, and and much higher price.

it's really a pain having an aged BMW, just do not have that much time dealing with them and really annoying sometimes.
i bought mine used and the first year i had mine it was like a slot machine every time i got in the car. but after pushing through it i can't get enough of this thing lol the diy stuff is great now that i'm at a point where if something comes up i can replace it by myself, unlike the first year where i had to be dependent on a shop because it broke down so much. partly my fault since it was a VERY impulsive buy (no regrets though) and i didn't do enough research on the vehicle at all.
stick with it, it pays off.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #109
aleksankazakov

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni01_k View Post
i bought mine used and the first year i had mine it was like a slot machine every time i got in the car. but after pushing through it i can't get enough of this thing lol the diy stuff is great now that i'm at a point where if something comes up i can replace it by myself, unlike the first year where i had to be dependent on a shop because it broke down so much. partly my fault since it was a VERY impulsive buy (no regrets though) and i didn't do enough research on the vehicle at all.
stick with it, it pays off.
Same here. I bought mine in terrible condition. It lookedas if a prevous owner ddnt care about it at all. He didnt even change window wipers , which made a big scratch on the windshield. I find his black qurly hair , i knew right then it was a black owner. So the windshield wipers were scratching the glass with clear lastic scotch tape, tires were burned until the metal armor was shown. The splash guards were missing. The ignition was giving false codes. Spark plugs were bad. The cooling system leaked. power steering rack was patched with duckt tape. wheels rims were bent and had 4 different size tires on it. I can tell for sure the car also was in an accident, because the way bumper is set. And the grill clamps were brocken off. And i restored it all. Now i have a good car. Much of the work i did myself.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #110
DDNPresident

My Ride: 2004 325i (E46)
Send a message via AIM to DDNPresident
Going to start on this today. I am also going to replace the idler pulley. I have never made a DIY but I have a feeling I might shoot a video. Don't hold me to it!

Last week I changed the OFHG, I was a pretty dirty fellow after cleaning the engine bay and undercarriage after the change. I need to put all the beauty covers and cabin filter holder back on (Changed CCV as well) after this job.

I found a place in Miami that will rebuild my original pump for 125.00 and get it back to me in 3 hours. Power Steering Systems (Hialeah) I believe was there name. They only deal in Power Steering Parts nothing else, so I believe them to be reputable, also they have been in business for a looong time. Will update with results.
DDNPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #111
deliriouserick

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsblk93gt View Post
not my pic but better idea of what I mean...
I am going to attempt this next Saturday as my power steering went out. I have never pulled out that belt before so I have a couple questions.

1) Is that the serpentine belt? Does anyone know what part number it is?

2) Do you have to loosen both tensioners in that diagram you have above as well? And is it counter-clockwise to loosen that?

3) Do you have to torque it to a certain spec or will I know when it is back in tension?

4) I have an '02 330i automatic, so I believe I have that fan shroud in the front. Will I have to remove that in order to do this DIY? Also meaning I have to buy that special tool to remove it?

Sorry for all the questions, this is unfamiliar territory for me. I appreciate any help you guys can provide.
deliriouserick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #112
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
1) Is that the serpentine belt? Does anyone know what part number it is?

2) Do you have to loosen both tensioners in that diagram you have above as well? And is it counter-clockwise to loosen that?

3) Do you have to torque it to a certain spec or will I know when it is back in tension?

4) I have an '02 330i automatic, so I believe I have that fan shroud in the front. Will I have to remove that in order to do this DIY? Also meaning I have to buy that special tool to remove it?
There are two belts, one for the a/c and one for everything else. The BMW part number is 11281706545. Realoem.com is a good resource to pick up part numbers.

There's only one tensioner to loosen on the main belt. You're not torquing and re-torquing anything. The pulley is under spring/hydraulic pressure, so you're just moving it out of the way to be able to slip the belt out from under it.

It will be easier if you remove the fan shroud, to give yourself some more space to work. Scan these discussions and you'll find how to remove the water pump-mounted fan without the special tool. The tool makes it easier, but it can be done without it.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #113
deliriouserick

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
There are two belts, one for the a/c and one for everything else. The BMW part number is 11281706545. Realoem.com is a good resource to pick up part numbers.

There's only one tensioner to loosen on the main belt. You're not torquing and re-torquing anything. The pulley is under spring/hydraulic pressure, so you're just moving it out of the way to be able to slip the belt out from under it.

It will be easier if you remove the fan shroud, to give yourself some more space to work. Scan these discussions and you'll find how to remove the water pump-mounted fan without the special tool. The tool makes it easier, but it can be done without it.
Thank you!
deliriouserick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #114
eastfreestyler

My Ride: E46, GC8, WRX
Just did this but FAIL on my part.
Got everything apart just to find out that my 99 328i comes with LF30.
The one I got online was LF20, I tried to make it fit on the bracket but couldn't find a way.
Thanks for the write up.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #115
Chris3Duke

Just a suggestion. If anyone forgets to loosen the bolts on the PS pulley before you remove the belt, you can just throw the old belt around the pulley like a noose, and that gives you plenty of leverage to loosen the bolts. No need to completely put it back on and tension it.

I'd definitely use that over vice grips.

Also, in terms of getting the pulley off, if it's stuck on, you can either rent a PS pulley puller (which I did), or just wiggle it off (which I wound up doing when I got tired of messing with the puller).

Lastly, I wasn't changing the pump, just the pulley, and was having a hard time lining up the new pulley with the holes the 13mm bolts go into. I wound up using the two bolts from the PS reservoir up top as guides (they're longer), then putting in the third, shorter 13 mm bolt, then switching out the first two for the proper bolt. Worked like a charm.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #116
jizzzoe

My Ride: is no longer E46 :(
Send a message via Yahoo to jizzzoe
My shop only wants $145 for the labor and I can bring my own part. They can get me a remanned pump for $240. So, what do I do? Does someone have a good source for a pump ~$100? I see a few on ebay but it's always questionable....

FYI realoem says I need LUK LF-20

TIA!

My Steel Gray '03 330Ci... I miss you, baby!
MODS: Purely aesthetic… Shadowlined, Smoked and LED'd out!
jizzzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #117
jizzzoe

Did this today using this and a couple other guides, thank you!! Aftermarket pump $136 on eBay...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #118
TX325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have a question, my car started making this loud nose when turning the wheel to either side. It's not a whine but more like thumping sound can't really explain it. It only makes the noise when I turn the wheel, even slightly. When I give the car gas the noise minimizes.

Power steering pump?

Last edited by TX325i; 06-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.
TX325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #119
jizzzoe

You check the P/S fluid?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #120
TX325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Yeah, it's full.