E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #201
ride365

^^ He hit some authentic places. My parents used to go to that beach.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #202
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
how often do you go home?

did you see the Anthony Bourdain episode on Jamaica? How "real" was his Jamaican experience? I like the fact that he doesn't do the typical "touristy" things. I DVR'd it last week and have watched it over and over again. Loved the Drum chicken and the fried seafood on the beach. The Mutabaraka interview was also pretty awesome......
not often enough, havent been home since 07. wanna go next year.
havent seen that episode, i think i only caught the last part with mutabaruka.
drum chicken, lol, we call it pan chicken or jerk chicken.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #203
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
After going to jamaica for many years, I finally had a real experience of what Jamaica is like when I went to Kingston to visit my girlfriend. Kingston is a lot different from the touristy spots I went to, good night life though. Here I thought I knew all about jamaica, not til my lady took me everywhere and I just chilled out with locals, got much more of a feel for the culture. Also, I used to think the creole sounded similar to the rest of the English speaking Caribbean, but the jamaican patois is truly unique sounding. I'm guyanese and I can somewhat decipher the creole, but I can almost always pick out a Jamaican dialect when hearing a bunch of Caribbean peeps talkin lol. On that note, my jamaican bredren's make some of the best music in the caribbean, kartel is seriously playing everywhere these days.

Last edited by Breezy; 09-13-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #204
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
After going to jamaica for many years, I finally had a real experience of what Jamaica is like when I went to Kingston to visit my girlfriend. Kingston is a lot different from the touristy spots I went to, good night life though. Here I thought I knew all about jamaica, not til my lady took me everywhere and I just chilled out with locals, got much more of a feel for the culture. Also, I used to think the creole sounded similar to the rest of the English speaking Caribbean, but the jamaican patois is truly unique sounding. I'm guyanese and I can somewhat decipher the creole, but I can almost always pick out a Jamaican dialect when hearing a bunch of Caribbean peeps talkin lol. On that note, my jamaican bredren's make some of the best music in the caribbean, kartel is seriously playing everywhere these days.
yeah baby, hahaha, u got to see the real jamaica. last time i went home in 07, took my girl with me, instantly she was like, wow, its so different from what i expected. then our last week we spend in the resort area. to this day she still says if when we go back she doesnt want to spend all of the time in the resort area.

yeah our accent is quite unique i can tell it apart from anything when its not mixed and diluted.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #205
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
yeah baby, hahaha, u got to see the real jamaica. last time i went home in 07, took my girl with me, instantly she was like, wow, its so different from what i expected. then our last week we spend in the resort area. to this day she still says if when we go back she doesnt want to spend all of the time in the resort area.

yeah our accent is quite unique i can tell it apart from anything when its not mixed and diluted.
lol, yeah i got some of the patois down, my girl speaks it around me pretty frequently despite that I'm a yank.."yow mi starr, a whagwan..yuh criss?" My response "me deh yah unu"..lol
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #206
Snik
OEM ///Member

zeen zeen. yuh a gwaan good man.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #207
juvi925

My Ride: AW ZSP 325i
Send a message via AIM to juvi925
whats a shotta?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #208
Snik
OEM ///Member

shotta translated means "shooter", so a shotta is basically a gun man/gang banger, whatever u wanna call it.
dem man deh press trigger, dem nuh press button.

Last edited by Snik; 09-13-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #209
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
Are The Jamaicans aware that their history,their culture,their people contributed to create the hottest non-female DNA Soup ever, I mean Tyson Beckford ?

Because In all non-gheyness and in all honesty, that man is simply perfect. Chinese/black/panamean blood mixed in that awesome Saucepan called Jamaica ... People like him are great because they are the positive counterpart of many Historical dramas and suffering. I mean , At least, Immigration, colonisation and slavery have left some beautiful individuals. From the beautiful Light-brown African American Girl who has white blood probably because of mass slavery rape (Many people forget the sexual side of slavery) to The turkish blonde girl who is blonde because ottomans used to "Steal" Blonde slave women in Eastern Countries for centuries.

So , What I mean is that many events in history created a lot of Death, misery and pain.

But at least, some Beautiful Human Beings have been created by such events.

Are the Jamaicans aware and proud of their Multi-cultural Multi-ethnical Background ?

Edit : Whithout Forgetting Bob The great, born from a Young Black Women and Older White English Officer. And Sean Paul,Wich blood is a patchwork of all ethnicities.

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #210
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
Are The Jamaicans aware that their history,their culture,their people contributed to create the hottest non-female DNA Soup ever, I mean Tyson Beckford ?

Because In all non-gheyness and in all honesty, that man is simply perfect. Chinese/black/panamean blood mixed in that awesome Saucepan called Jamaica ... People like him are great because they are the positive counterpart of many Historical dramas and suffering. I mean , At least, Immigration, colonisation and slavery have left some beautiful individuals. From the beautiful Light-brown African American Girl who has white blood probably because of mass slavery rape (Many people forget the sexual side of slavery) to The turkish blonde girl who is blonde because ottomans used to "Steal" Blonde slave women in Eastern Countries for centuries.

So , What I mean is that many events in history created a lot of Death, misery and pain.

But at least, some Beautiful Human Beings have been created by such events.

Are the Jamaicans aware and proud of their Multi-cultural Multi-ethnical Background ?

Edit : Whithout Forgetting Bob The great, born from a Young Black Women and Older White English Officer. And Sean Paul,Wich blood is a patchwork of all ethnicities.
uhmmm... yeah
most of our cities and towns have spanish and/or english names, and street names, as well as architecture. A lot of the real good stuff is protected too.
our motto is "out of many, one people"

its seen in everyday Jamaica, we have extremely strong mixes of chinese, indian(thats eastern indian for you yanks), white, spanish and of course african influence. All these are reflected in peoples looks, our music, our food, our language.

As for Mr. Beckford, there are many like him and better in Jamaica, same with our women. Did you see Ms Universe last month?

so yes, we are VERY aware and proud of our extremely multi cultural history. Maybe you should visit there some time.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #211
lmyamen

My Ride: 00 328i
If it has already been answered i apologize. What brought you to the states? Do you plan on staying here? Whats your lifestyle like here in comparison to growing up?

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #212
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
Quote:
uhmmm... yeah
most of our cities and towns have spanish and/or english names, and street names, as well as architecture. A lot of the real good stuff is protected too.
our motto is "out of many, one people"

its seen in everyday Jamaica, we have extremely strong mixes of chinese, indian(thats eastern indian for you yanks), white, spanish and of course african influence. All these are reflected in peoples looks, our music, our food, our language.

As for Mr. Beckford, there are many like him and better in Jamaica, same with our women. Did you see Ms Universe last month?

so yes, we are VERY aware and proud of our extremely multi cultural history. Maybe you should visit there some time.
. Perfect.

Did you know that our resident german Rayce185 is from german father and White jamaican Mother ?. He Himself calls him the "Germaican". lol.

As for the Chinese/indian/black/white Soup, we also have a French Island called "Reunion" where inhabitants have all those Ethnical legacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union

From Wiki : Ethnic groups present include people of European, African, Malagasy, Indians and Chinese origin as well as many of mixed race. Local names for these are used: Yabs, Cafres, Malbars and Zarabes (both ethnic groups of Indian origin) and Chinois (Réunion).

It is not known exactly how many people there are of each ethnicity since there is a ban on ethnic censuses in France,() which applies in Réunion because it is a part of the 1958 constitution

DNA Soup FTW :

That girl is the former Miss France.She's reunionian. Her Grandparents are from the 4 main (Indian/asian/black/white)world ethnicities. If you look carrefully you can see all of them in her.

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #213
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
If it has already been answered i apologize. What brought you to the states? Do you plan on staying here? Whats your lifestyle like here in comparison to growing up?
haha, the difference is insane. i dont worry about getting jacked, or shot, or shanked, i can own a gun without fearing that i'll get shot by a gunman trying to steal it because his cop buddy told him.
The legal system here works a lot better, i can own a house before im old as dirt, job market is way better, better healthcare, etc.. typical 3rd world country vs 1st world country woes.

on the flip side, i think i could starve to death here and no one would notice, that wouldnt happen there, people give a **** about one another, although the crime statistics hint otherwise.

i came here for summer break in 01 after my 1st year in college, i was in the BX, i was coming form Burger King, had to get my milk shake on, and as i walked pass a recruiting station, and looked in, a Marine looked up and waved me in, next thing i know im on some yellow foot prints wondering wtf did i get myself into. (I must state tho, that the idea was always in the back of my head since the day i knew i was getting a green card, as i decided if i ever moved here i wouldnt depend on family and be that dude.) At the time my dad had told me only months before if i failed out he wouldnt pay for me to repeat any years, and i was partying my ass off. wasnt sure if i had made it to 2nd year, anyway so i said fukit, and enlisted in the Corps. eventually got my citizenship, and after 6+ year in the corps and now in Iraq working as a contractor, i think im here to stay.
Jamaica isnt getting any easier or safer and ive been spoiled. Id never be able to afford a BMW and a sportbike and live fairly well like i do now, if i was back home, atleast not at this age i dont think. so in term of opportunity, i want to stay here and give my seeds that chance, i do fear my kid will be spoiled and not be as tough, and generally not as Jamaican as i am. BUT on the flip side, if me and my current girl workout, theyll have that extra cool factor of being half German, half Jamaican, and im sure with influences from both cultures.

maybe i'll retire there, thats as far as i can see, but the way **** is down there, now no immediate plans to go back to live. Its saddens me, but it would be a bit of a step backward i think.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #214
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
. Perfect.

Did you know that our resident german Rayce185 is from german father and White jamaican Mother ?. He Himself calls him the "Germaican". lol.

As for the Chinese/indian/black/white Soup, we also have a French Island called "Reunion" where inhabitants have all those Ethnical legacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union

From Wiki : Ethnic groups present include people of European, African, Malagasy, Indians and Chinese origin as well as many of mixed race. Local names for these are used: Yabs, Cafres, Malbars and Zarabes (both ethnic groups of Indian origin) and Chinois (Réunion).

It is not known exactly how many people there are of each ethnicity since there is a ban on ethnic censuses in France,() which applies in Réunion because it is a part of the 1958 constitution

DNA Soup FTW :

That girl is the former Miss France.She's reunionian. Her Grandparents are from the 4 main (Indian/asian/black/white)world ethnicities. If you look carrefully you can see all of them in her.

yes i do actually, and wouldve prolly met him already if he wasnt so far away from my gf in the south.

You also have a few former french islands in the caribbean, more reason to cross the atlanstic and island hop.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #215
lmyamen

My Ride: 00 328i
Thanks for the reply! One more questions, im getting married next year and looking for a place to go on my honeymoon. It prob sounds dumb but i have heard its not safe to travel to Jamaica. Is that true, or is there certain places to watch out for? Can you recommend any where in Jamaica that is a safe travel spot with great beaches?

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #216
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
What mix races make up Jamaicans. I always wondered and was interested in how the many cultures came to be. If anyone knows feel free to answer.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #217
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
Thanks for the reply! One more questions, im getting married next year and looking for a place to go on my honeymoon. It prob sounds dumb but i have heard its not safe to travel to Jamaica. Is that true, or is there certain places to watch out for? Can you recommend any where in Jamaica that is a safe travel spot with great beaches?
dude, my sedan is Orient Blue too, but yours looks magnificent.

basically im gonna tell you like i tell everyone. Stay in the resort areas, and youre good, theyre plenty safe. watch for pick pockets, hustlers that quadruple the prices on tourists, and crazy ass drivers tho those are everywhere, including the states. lol

Pretty much, Ocho Rios, Montego bay, Negril, Port Antonio, and most places between. If you leave the resort areas, make sure youre with a local you can somewhat trust. or on a guided tour or some sh1t.
Id stick to all inclusive hotels and do a few tours outside the area.
Appleton estate rum tour is on my list, it should be on yours too, you'll drive a few hours thru the REAL Jamaica, and prolly get drunk
Canopy tours in Ocho rios, horseback riding, damn near everywhere, river rafting, scuba diving, snorkeling, you name it, they do it...

All of Jamaica has great beaches, we even have black sand beaches, if you wanna burn instantly. Seriously, its in the middle of the caribbean, theyre all beautiful, and even the crappy ones are better than most ive seen in the US.

Im also considering getting married there too, prolly do the 1 week at the hotel, wedding and honeymoon thing. they range form cheap to holy fuk batman. I like the packages "Sandals" offer.

Quote:
What mix races make up Jamaicans. I always wondered and was interested in how the many cultures came to be. If anyone knows feel free to answer.
scroll up
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #218
Snik
OEM ///Member

SollyD to answer the second part of your question real quick, back in the days when the spanish and the brits were fighting over Jamaica, i cant remember who, but one of them, or both brought over spices from India, i wanna say the Spanish, and with it, some of the people, that explains that, the chinese were once slaves in Jamaica, but they quickly found they didnt work as long and as hard, and werent very good for slave labor, hence, more africans, and i suppose with that hustle came a few Syrians and the likes.

The other Europeans id guess came with the Brits, def the Scottish and Irish influence came via that route, my grandparents on my dads side, are full blooded Scotts only 4 generations back form me, my dads mom was pretty damn white for a black woman, and her dad was fresh off the boat.

At some point someone brought in a lot of Germans, and they still have a village called German Town out west near Negril, where you'll see blue eyed black kids, and light skinned ones with nearly blonde hair still.

The Americans came later, typically they came, in the 80s or 70s before the tourist boomed, loved it, and decided to stay and enjoy the weed and cheap living.

The South Americans came i think sometime in the 70s or 60s and with the Panama canal being built and the whole melting pot thing going on there, and who migrated to where after and stuff. Plus a few Cubans headed to Jamaica at 90 miles south, rather than brave the 120 miles to Florida.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #219
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
SollyD to answer the second part of your question real quick, back in the days when the spanish and the brits were fighting over Jamaica, i cant remember who, but one of them, or both brought over spices from India, i wanna say the Spanish, and with it, some of the people, that explains that, the chinese were once slaves in Jamaica, but they quickly found they didnt work as long and as hard, and werent very good for slave labor, hence, more africans, and i suppose with that hustle came a few Syrians and the likes.

The other Europeans id guess came with the Brits, def the Scottish and Irish influence came via that route, my grandparents on my dads side, are full blooded Scotts only 4 generations back form me, my dads mom was pretty damn white for a black woman, and her dad was fresh off the boat.

At some point someone brought in a lot of Germans, and they still have a village called German Town out west near Negril, where you'll see blue eyed black kids, and light skinned ones with nearly blonde hair still.

The Americans came later, typically they came, in the 80s or 70s before the tourist boomed, loved it, and decided to stay and enjoy the weed and cheap living.

The South Americans came i think sometime in the 70s or 60s and with the Panama canal being built and the whole melting pot thing going on there, and who migrated to where after and stuff. Plus a few Cubans headed to Jamaica at 90 miles south, rather than brave the 120 miles to Florida.
thanks for the info. Pretty interesting how everything happens.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #220
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Which language (written) doesn't use the character ":" (colon)?
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote