E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #121
RicardoGomezH

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP
Hi guys, same codes here p0174 and p0171
I do not have a rough idle though, but i have noticed a decrease in power.

Before i read this thread and i did a MAF sensor clean up, but the SES light didnt go away after it. Since then all i've done is get close to the engine i can hear a hissing. Cant really hear it if the hood is closed.

Another thing that i have noticed is that my gas mileage has gone way up, to the point that i thought my fuel gauge needle was stuck, because i had almost done 200 miles with only half a tank! (driving in the city) i normally have to refuel every 200 miles. I fueled it today and only had to do half tank. The gauge was working fine...

Could this be really just a bad MAF? Could a vaccum leak be the cause of increased gas mileage? (i wouldve thought the opposite reaction) the reality is that it is definitely running lean.

I have not noticed that my car is running hotter than normal either...

I hope i can get it done this weekend, or at least find the culprit...
RicardoGomezH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #122
oovvutt

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Haha I feel your pain i went through the same process as well, had a ripped boot, and a bad maf sensor. I hated that boot connector, because it was such a PITA to unscrew the couplings...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #123
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Ahhh had these codes, got diagnosed as an MAF and replaced it, now today they're back.

Luckily I got my new MAF off another fanatic for a great price, so I didn't bite the bullet too bad, but I'm def gonna give this procedure a try when I get home.

OP
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #124
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
great thread!!

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #125
louie330

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Thx to all for the info in this thread! I was getting SES light with OBDII codes for running lean. Cleared codes and it took a few weeks for them to come back.
When they did, I used the info here to find a hole in the lower intake boot.
I've replaced it and it's only been a few days, but no codes so far.

For what it's worth to others - I never noticed an impact in mpg or power. I was just getting the SES light.

Will let you know if it comes back, but I'm pretty confident that was the issue.

Thx again!
louie330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #126
mbadger

My Ride: '02 325i '95 325ic
Good Morning, joining the Rough Idle team officially. To date I've cleaned ICV, DISA and inspected upper and lower boots with no real cracking observed. My issue began suddenly one morning after my wife filled up the gas tank. We drove home just the night before with the tank on E on a short trip and it was fine.

Symptoms:
- Audible HISS
- IDLE is up and down between 400-700 but fine at speed
- intermittent misfire/pop can be heard as the idle drops below 500
- 10-12 codes including - P0313, P0300, P0171, P0174, P01349, PO1344, P1346, P1351, P1083, P1085 (3 repeat as pending also)

I'm hoping it is bad gas and that upon emptying this tank and refilling elsewhere that the problem will go away on it's own. Outside of that, I'm looking into the ecu reset option since everything else hasn't worked for me.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #127
kawuzi

My Ride: 2000 323i
i think i have the same problem
Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #128
juash

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Great thread. Cleaned out my ICV with Brake Parts cleaner, sealed my DISA with high temp gasket sealer and it improved my idle. I have a manual and always have had issues with starting and stalling in first gear when letting off of the clutch. The suggested maintenance and conversation in this thread was really helpful.

Bump.
juash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #129
q0192837465

My Ride: 99.4 A4, 03 330xi
Send a message via ICQ to q0192837465
For u guys who have the rough idle issue, does it happen only when u'r in gear? I'm having very rough idle when I come to a stop while in "D" or "R" gears. Once I put it in "P" or "N", it's adling smoothly again. Is that the case for all of u?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #130
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
For u guys who have the rough idle issue, does it happen only when u'r in gear? I'm having very rough idle when I come to a stop while in "D" or "R" gears. Once I put it in "P" or "N", it's adling smoothly again. Is that the case for all of u?
happened both when in neutral or in drive mode for me anyways.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #131
devlon

My Ride: 330XI 2002
i am also having similar problems with a 2002 330xi. i am getting codes p1083,p1085,p1351,p0313,p0174,p0171.
my rough idle comes and goes. I tried the carb cleaner trick, but when the car is running normal there is no change in rpm. when its running rough the idle is so erratic i really cant' tell if the carb cleaner is having any effect. I checked the oil fill cap for any major suction, but that seams normal so the pcv is out. has any seen an IAC stick and free up.
I am going to tear apart the the intake system to day to look for the cracked lower boot, and do a tune up just to eliminate that.

also I have disconected the MAF the car idled much better, but of course had no power what so ever.

if anyone has any other tips or tricks to try please let me know

Thanks
devlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #132
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Great thread!! Helped me alot and also lots of DIY threads in here.. but didn't solve my issue..

I have 2 lean codes P0171/174 and although i ve changed a lot of parts (new siemens maf, new bosch coils, new intake boots, new icv, new NGK spark plugs,4 new bosch 02 sensors, new ccv with all the hoses, new fuel filter, fuel pump checked is working fine, cleaned the injectros, new K&N air filter, oil changed & new oil filter, cleaned TB, new purge valve, new sucking jet pump) it's still there and i can't find the vacum leak..
My car was a 318ci and i recently completed the M54B30 conversion..
I didn't mind buying all these parts, it's a preventative maintenace for me cause the engine had 77 km.. So iam happy that i changed all these cause are things that need to be changed in a few km and of course i don't know how the previous owner was maintaning the engine..
I also sealed the DISA with tape and reinstalled it but nothing changed..

Could this be any leak from intake manifold underneath or its gasket?
Could this be a fault maf (i mention maf cause i bought it from ebay although it's a siemens one made in Germany, i did n't buy it from the stealership)??

I hear a whistle or hissing sound, nothing changes when spraying brake cleaner..
It's not idling very rough but you can feel that the engine is not working as it should and i got a CEL..
I ordered a new intake manifold gasket and i plan taking the intake manifold apart..
Before taking the intake apart i will check the culprits at the back side of the intake..

Last edited by zaharias; 10-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #133
mbadger

My Ride: '02 325i '95 325ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Great thread!! Helped me alot and also lots of DIY threads in here.. but didn't solve my issue..

I have 2 lean codes P0171/174 and although i ve changed a lot of parts (new siemens maf, new bosch coils, new intake boots, new icv, new NGK spark plugs,4 new bosch 02 sensors, new ccv with all the hoses, new fuel filter, fuel pump checked is working fine, cleaned the injectros, new K&N air filter, oil changed & new oil filter, cleaned TB, new purge valve, new sucking jet pump) it's still there and i can't find the vacum leak..
My car was a 318ci and i recently completed the M54B30 conversion..
I didn't mind buying all these parts, it's a preventative maintenace for me cause the engine had 77 km.. So iam happy that i changed all these cause are things that need to be changed in a few km and of course i don't know how the previous owner was maintaning the engine..
I also sealed the DISA with tape and reinstalled it but nothing changed..

Could this be any leak from intake manifold underneath or its gasket?
Could this be a fault maf (i mention maf cause i bought it from ebay although it's a siemens one made in Germany, i did n't buy it from the stealership)??

I hear a whistle or hissing sound, nothing changes when spraying brake cleaner..
It's not idling very rough but you can feel that the engine is not working as it should and i got a CEL..
I ordered a new intake manifold gasket and i plan taking the intake manifold apart..
Before taking the intake apart i will check the culprits at the back side of the intake..
Sounds like Oil Separator and any of about 3 hoses that it connects to. If you have to go this route, it's worth changing the hoses while you are there since it is under the manifold. I took mine to a shop for final diagnosis so I wouldn't be paranoid and order parts I didn't need only to end up in the same place doing this job anyway..good luck...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #134
zaharias

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadger View Post
Sounds like Oil Separator and any of about 3 hoses that it connects to. If you have to go this route, it's worth changing the hoses while you are there since it is under the manifold. I took mine to a shop for final diagnosis so I wouldn't be paranoid and order parts I didn't need only to end up in the same place doing this job anyway..good luck...
Thanks mate but ive already replaced my ccv with all its hoses..
Checked the culprits and they look ok..
Another thing that i will check before removing the intake manifold is dipstick tube gaskets.. It's my last thing to check..
Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #135
zaharias

Update!!

I installed an oem maf from another 330 (mine was purchased from ebay even though its siemens), cleared the codes and took it for a ride.. I did 10km and the car seems to work much better.. and NO faults!!
I wish i could keep that maf for a couple of days to confirm it's the Maf causing my errors..
Do you recomend buying one from the stealership or buying this (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...C%20Each%20%20) from pelicans should be ok..??
Thank you guys!!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #136
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
great thread
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #137
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Do you recomend buying one from the stealership or buying this (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...C%20Each%20%20) from pelicans should be ok..??
Thank you guys!!
buy from autohausaz.com It is the same Siemens VDO quality but cheaper--~$202. This is where I got mine from and it's been working great for the past 7 months.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 AM   #138
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
buy from autohausaz.com It is the same Siemens VDO quality but cheaper--~$202. This is where I got mine from and it's been working great for the past 7 months.
Thank you!! Yes, I checked it but i want to calculate shipping cause iam in Greece and autohausaz sends with ups (i might get taxed with ups, but through usps (that pelican sends) that i ve bought several items from USA it's fine, i won't get taxed).
My question is will i be ok with the siemens vdo maf (that is an oem supplier for BMW) or i have to buy one from the stealership..?? (cause i already have a new maf saying made in Germany on and that is a Siemens one but i bought it from ebay for 60 euro (cheap crap!) and the car doesn't seem to work as it should)
Thanks for your time & replies guys!!

Last edited by zaharias; 10-16-2010 at 01:52 AM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #139
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Thank you!! Yes, I checked it but i want to calculate shipping cause iam in Greece and autohausaz sends with ups (i might get taxed with ups, but through usps (that pelican sends) that i ve bought several items from USA it's fine, i won't get taxed).
My question is will i be ok with the siemens vdo maf (that is an oem supplier for BMW) or i have to buy one from the stealership..?? (cause i already have a new maf saying made in Germany on and that is a Siemens one but i bought it from ebay for 60 euro (cheap crap!) and the car doesn't seem to work as it should)
Thanks for your time & replies guys!!
Z, did you check the two plugs at the back of the intake manifold? Are they easy to get to?
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #140
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by truajb View Post
Z, did you check the two plugs at the back of the intake manifold? Are they easy to get to?
Hi!! I checked them, they are ok.. But i bought new ones to be 100% sure (they were very cheap).. If you remove the A/C filter housing, you can work your hands back there..
It's my maf causing all these errors.. I ve bought a new one from Tischer and iam waiting for it.. I will let you know how it goes when i install it and drive it for a while to check if errors come back...