E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #41
Fair Witness

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Do it, do it. Someone needs to help out us noobs.
Fair Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #42
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol it's not hard. i'm just lazy as hell. i had angels on. then i took them off. now i'm doing quads, and they are just sitting there ahah.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #43
NaZty NaZe One!

My Ride: 02' 330ci "Ebony"
Send a message via AIM to NaZty NaZe One!
sounds like a good post. update already.
NaZty NaZe One! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #44
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
well, I have installed my Angel eyes. Boyy, are they bright!!

I also looked into the power consumption of the lights. With the engine off and lights on, they are drawing .8 amps at 12.5 volts. Thats about 10 watts!

No [affordable] rhetrostat is going to be able to resist that much power without burning up.

so, it looks like the dimmer will have to a bit more complicated. I'm researching DC dimmers that use switching transistors and a 555 timer to variably pulse the power, instead of resisting it.

Ill update here when I have a solution installed (but its a low priority for me, so be patient)
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #45
sillieidiot

^ uh are you sure about that man? that sounds to me like your measured them with CCFLs. though it's still a little low as a measured a CCFL kit at 1.7 amps.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #46
easyIsle

yes, absolutely positive. While installing them, I measured the current flowing from positive terminal of my car to both the trigger wire and the big gauged power wire (at the same time). The angel eyes had no other power source but through my meter, and were pulling .8 amps with engine off. It might even pull a bit more current when the car is running and the battery voltage is a bit higher.

Anyway, It would make sense that the LEDs use less than the CCFL's, I just expected it to use much less than 10 watts. I guess 240 SMD LED's really add up, eh?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #47
sillieidiot

damn i expected like half of that, around 1 watt per ring that the very most.

wait, why did you measure the trigger wire?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #48
easyIsle

I first measured just the high gauged power wire, but I guess the resistance of my meter caused the current to be pulled from the trigger wire, because consumption was zero.

Consumption was also zero measuring only the trigger wire.

So I measured both to get a "full consumption" reading

That might be a sign of upcoming problems for dimming them ..... but I am a problem solver.

Hey, ive seen a lot of people mention dimming, but has anyone actually done it? COME FORWARD!!

Last edited by easyIsle; 03-03-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #49
sillieidiot

i see. makes sense. i wonder if it's lower for other LED units. as the orions have the resistor packs which umnitza says that they take the power and split it between the rings. if you think about it that way. each ring is made up of 2 separate boards. there's a connection for each side on the resistor packs. about 1w per board x 8 = around 8w so that sounds about right.

nah not really. i was supposed to do it. but i got sidetracked and started working other lighting stuff instead lol

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #50
Fair Witness

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
I'm just waiting for someone to come forward with a how-to guide on adding proper resistors to lower the brightness. I don't know anything about electrical etc. It frustrates me that people call my angel eyes "rice", I'm beginning to agree. I think if I can make them have a more subtle look like the stock angel eyes, it will be perfect.

Why don't some of the bigger sponsors that sell these angel eyes come up with a solution to lower the output? Seems like they have the knowledge and tools to do testing and tell us what will work best with their product.
Fair Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #51
easyIsle

I'm looking to put a knob in the cabin so brightness is adjustable. A permanent 50% output is as simple as adding a resistor! Unfortunately you wont know if you dimmed it enough, or too much, until after you buy and test the resistor. (I.e. cutting voltage in half won't necessarily mean you get half the light output)

I will tell you this..... You won't hurt anything if you wire in a resistor rated at 15 watts or more (to be safe) between the ground wire going to the angel eyes and the ground point you used (I'm assuming you installed it yourself, right?). Doing so will only send less voltage to your lights, not more (so it wont hurt it) and you wont be able to short out anything if you work on the ground wire only.

I would suggest buying two 10 ohm resistors and wiring one or both end to end with the ground wire. That should quarter and half the current. Try these:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=995

as a disclaimer, I'm a self taught electronics enthusist. But what I've described is what I would try. Note, the resistors should be getting warm (that means they're working) but not burning hot (thats bad).
Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #52
deeseetoo

My Ride: 330ci
subscribed, has anybody found a way to properly/safely dim the LEDs?
deeseetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #53
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Witness View Post
Why don't some of the bigger sponsors that sell these angel eyes come up with a solution to lower the output? Seems like they have the knowledge and tools to do testing and tell us what will work best with their product.
why would they? they market their angels as brightest and can see during the day. you can't have those if you dim it down.

also about them having the knowledge. that's a laugh, they have some, but i doubt they have any real electrical knowledge.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #54
NaZty NaZe One!

My Ride: 02' 330ci "Ebony"
Send a message via AIM to NaZty NaZe One!
no luck! jeez. i got my orions installed this weekend and they look crack! thing is i havent seen it at night yet (i keep my car in a garage) so i was wondering if i could dim them just a teeed bit. kinda like the interior dash gauges. anyways guys keep working on it we at e46fanatics have faith in you.
NaZty NaZe One! is offline   Reply With Quote