E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #21
futurezero
Horror Business

My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I've heard that 08+ models have a piggy-back system going on now. If the ECU thinks that something is being added, in which it shouldn't (Procede for example), it will shut down the ECU. I have heard though you can still do a Dinan flash

Only BMW can add their performance chip to the ECU. I believe its like $2,200 for the chip, and BMW is claiming around 400 WHP (Yes, WHP)
The Dinan Stage 2 flash is $2000 + $100 labor. I've already been quoted for it The Vishnu Procede piggyback doesn't work on 03/08+ builds yet either but they are working on it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #22
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurezero View Post
The Dinan Stage 2 flash is $2000 + $100 labor. I've already been quoted for it The Vishnu Procede piggyback doesn't work on 03/08+ builds yet either but they are working on it.
I figured they would find their way around it sometime.

Now does the Dinan Flash re-map the turbo settings and what not? In a couple of years, I will either be looking into a E92 335i, or E92 M3

If I can make the same WHP of an M3, then why not spend the money on the cheaper car (335i)
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #23
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
I figured they would find their way around it sometime.

Now does the Dinan Flash re-map the turbo settings and what not? In a couple of years, I will either be looking into a E92 335i, or E92 M3

If I can make the same WHP of an M3, then why not spend the money on the cheaper car (335i)
The Dinan Performance Engine Software safely increases turbo-boost pressure from the stock 8.8 to 13.2 psi, along with properly retuned fuel mixtures, ignition timing and full map rescaling. In fact, over 2000 engine management functions have been recalibrated, offering substantial increases in power output while maintaining the civility and reliability expected of a Dinan performance product. Some examples include:

Remapped Water Pump Speeds. In an effort to more effectively control oil and water temperatures, which have been notably excessive even at stock boost pressures, the Dinan software actually increases water pump speeds as boost pressure increases. A much larger, more efficiently ducted oil cooler has also been developed, further improving heat exchange for lower and more consistent operating temperatures, even with the added boost pressure.

Boost Pressure Control. Increased boost pressure exceeds the turbochargers' design limitations at higher rpm, potentially shortening their lifespan. Dinan addresses this issue by tapering the boost gradually at higher engine speeds. This approach also addresses the fact that with increased boost at higher rpm the turbocharger temperatures would exceed the intercooler's ability to cool the intake charge, resulting in a loss of power and compromising the long-term durability of the engine. The tapered boost keeps temperatures within the design limitations so as to optimize output and ensure engine reliability with the added boost pressure.

As far as an E92 335i vs E92 M3, horsepower isn't everything
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #24
M0nk3y
Banned

Its price also, handling, looks, etc.......So do you think Dinan would still be doing flashes, say by 2012/2013.

Depending on how much I save up by then......I'll be in college, or out of college. Ill be purchasing one

Last edited by M0nk3y; 05-29-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #25
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
Its price also, handling, looks, etc.......So do you think Dinan would still be doing flashes, say by 2012/2013.

Depending on how much I save up by then......I'll be in college, or out of college. Ill be purchasing one
I have no idea what Dinan will be doing in 4-5 years Besides, how old are you? Don't you have more important things to be worrying about than what car you're going to buy in 5 years?

Last edited by futurezero; 05-29-2008 at 08:45 PM.
futurezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #26
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
how much does the Vishnu chip typically run for?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #27
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
how much does the Vishnu chip typically run for?
$1395 for V2 I believe
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea what Dinan will be doing in 4-5 years Besides, how old are you? Don't you have more important things to be worrying about than what car you're going to buy in 5 years?
17, 18 in october......

Finals are already over, and its summer. I am done spending money on my current car, and I have made a decision to save up and by a E92......I already have 6k in the bank, and I make about 8-9k a year (I only work at a golf course and detail cars in summer, I work at a ski resort in the winter)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #29
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
Quote:
17, 18 in october......

Finals are already over, and its summer. I am done spending money on my current car, and I have made a decision to save up and by a E92......I already have 6k in the bank, and I make about 8-9k a year (I only work at a golf course and detail cars in summer, I work at a ski resort in the winter)
Coming kind of from the same background as you (but a few years older), do yourself and your parents a favor and help pay for college or save for a house. I'm 20 right now and pay for everything on my own and it feels great. I like my car, but at the drop of a dime, I would sell it to buy a house. I am tired of renting and hate having to move every year. I am saving up until I graduate in 1 year to buy a house, and yes....I will probably sell my car and buy a civic or something cheap just so I'll have money for a good down payment and not paying my landlord $500 a month. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I would love to buy a nice car when I graduate but a house is cooler. All my friends have cars but none of them have a house.

To the original OP, go for it. The price seems good and the 335i is a beast. I'll have one at some point in my life. Just don't get too excited about a car if it doesn't have all the features you want. I got a good deal on my car but I sacrificed getting a step instead of a manual. Sorry for the preaching. I am bored and I should be studying for my finance final that is tomorrow
justinrn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #30
weisiong123

My Ride: 323ci
holy sh#t...$34k ? I bought my junk 323ci for $30k which is 8years old with 80k+ mileage ... I would die for such prices of cars..

weisiong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #31
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
wow...I c this thread took off into the performance stages, lol. I'm not looking to add performance to the car, maybe a BOV, but that's it. It's just for the wifey to use as a daily.

Went and looked at the car yesterday. Very clean, exactly what it should be. Looks pretty much new inside and out. Minor scuff behind rear door which could probly be buffed out. He offered me the following deal: Take my X5 w/ 81k miles as trade in + $23k cash + tax. A bit more than I anticipated, but we'll see what we can work out. Or maybe I'll look around for a better deal. This is the 1st 1 I've really looked at.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #32
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
17, 18 in october......

You might want to try saving some money
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #33
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
wow...I c this thread took off into the performance stages, lol. I'm not looking to add performance to the car, maybe a BOV, but that's it. It's just for the wifey to use as a daily.

Went and looked at the car yesterday. Very clean, exactly what it should be. Looks pretty much new inside and out. Minor scuff behind rear door which could probly be buffed out. He offered me the following deal: Take my X5 w/ 81k miles as trade in + $23k cash + tax. A bit more than I anticipated, but we'll see what we can work out. Or maybe I'll look around for a better deal. This is the 1st 1 I've really looked at.
a BOV will actually hinder the 335i's performance...juss saying
Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #34
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
You might want to try saving some money
I am already saving. Maybe in 5 years if you remember me, and your still on this forum, you can see the car! (Hopefully)
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #35
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
I am already saving. Maybe in 5 years if you remember me, and your still on this forum, you can see the car! (Hopefully)
Well I wish you the best of luck Just don't drive yourself nuts over a car!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #36
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
Well I wish you the best of luck Just don't drive yourself nuts over a car!
Ahaha, I try to hold back with the car I have now! I'm very big on detailing and want my car to be PERFECT......
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
futurezero
Horror Business

Quote:
Ahaha, I try to hold back with the car I have now! I'm very big on detailing and want my car to be PERFECT......
Well you should be pretty damn happy to have any BMW at 17 At your age, I was driving a shitbox Hyundai Accent Hatchback Take care of that thing man!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #38
howie

Quote:
a BOV will actually hinder the 335i's performance...juss saying
i just want the psssssssssst sound

are the wastegates on these cars on the turbos or is there a seperate 1 that can be changed (rather than flash/chip)

btw link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...243706549&rd=1

Last edited by howie; 05-30-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #39
howie

found a nice one with sports and premium package downtown MIA...and bought it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...227354014&rd=1

will post pics after I pick it up tomorrow and wax it up. She's a beauty!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 AM   #40
willyd

My Ride: 99' 323i - sold :(
miami?!

i was under the impression you were in hollyhood, ca...

anyways, good purchase bro, looks like a clean ride! i love sport sedans...

UUC Stage 2 Suspension :: 18 x 8.5 CSL Reps :: Pirelli PZero Nero :: Clears :: Titanium Enhanced DDE :: Need More $$
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote