E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
idriveabimmer

My Ride: BMW
Corvette V BMW Z4

cCan someone tell me how the z4 compares to a corvette? I covet both
these cars but I've only driven the corvette. I hear the z4 is even
better to drive and it's not as common, which is cool. I've heard the
z4 can be jerky for the first 5000 miles, is that true? Here are the
two cars: http://vlane.com/comparison/2363
idriveabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
futurezero
Horror Business

My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
um, what Z4 (2.5i, 3.0i, 3.0si) and what year Corvette? Chances are, the Corvette is going to win against any of them anyway unless it's a beat up bone stock C4 auto.

Based on that link, if you're seriously comparing a 2008 Corvette against a Z4 3.0, the Z4 doesn't stand a bloody chance in hell.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
weirdest comparison ive seen, these are two totally different cars, go to youtube and type in BMW Z4 M vs, Viper, that will answer for me. the corvete will smoke the living day lights out of the Z.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
willyd

My Ride: 99' 323i - sold :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
weirdest comparison ive seen, these are two totally different cars, go to youtube and type in BMW Z4 M vs, Viper, that will answer for me. the corvete will smoke the living day lights out of the Z.

yeah, but that top gear comparison is a little biased... clarkson loathes american cars... and he says that the 'vette isn't all its cracked up to be, which is a damned lie. the z06, he complained, is too rough on the rough... which is just about the gayest thing to say when your in one of the fastest production american cars... ridiculous

UUC Stage 2 Suspension :: 18 x 8.5 CSL Reps :: Pirelli PZero Nero :: Clears :: Titanium Enhanced DDE :: Need More $$
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
VillanovaGrad

My Ride: M3 M5 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
yeah, but that top gear comparison is a little biased... clarkson loathes american cars... and he says that the 'vette isn't all its cracked up to be, which is a damned lie. the z06, he complained, is too rough on the rough... which is just about the gayest thing to say when your in one of the fastest production american cars... ridiculous
on topic of rough... not everyone lives in california with perfect weather... most ppl in this world lives in places to new jersey or london or jakarta where roads might not be as flat and perfect as in CA
VillanovaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Yeah I heard on top gear that the corvette was really rough on the roads, but also that it's not a great car if you want to drive around town, but it's great on the track.
Dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by villanovakid View Post
on topic of rough... not everyone lives in california with perfect weather... most ppl in this world lives in places to new jersey or london or jakarta where roads might not be as flat and perfect as in CA
ahahahah maybe southern california has nice roads but in the greater part of california i've experienced, the roads are total crap! i driven from maryland to my home here by sf and from everything i saw, cali had the worst roads!

maybe this is part of the reason,

(and then to state not doing a damn thing to fix the damage)

so yea, even in cali the roads are rough... jeremy's statement about the corvettes roughness removing some of it's practicality is justified. also taking turns on a bumpy road with a car that has a stiff suspension can get pretty strange with the wheels bouncing all over the place(feels like the cars skimming )
Old 05-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

(and then to state not doing a damn thing to fix the damage)
)
omg

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
willyd

My Ride: 99' 323i - sold :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by villanovakid View Post
hah, i live in oregon.

but thanks for the factoidz i had no idea that not everyone on earth lived in california.

edit::::
your confusion may be from my 'home' which is where my parents have moved (carlsbad)... away from seattle, where i grew up... i could drop days of knowledge about hills.. as well as flat, snowy, rocky, salty, and sh1tty roads...
i was surprised about clarkson's complaints about the Z06 being rough on the road, whereas he drives other track-ready cars (which happen to be produced in europe) that are most definitely more harsh on roads (ie lotus, etc) but neglects to mention anything about those...
i love top gear, but sometimes clarkson is a little too biased and contradicting for my taste...

UUC Stage 2 Suspension :: 18 x 8.5 CSL Reps :: Pirelli PZero Nero :: Clears :: Titanium Enhanced DDE :: Need More $$

Last edited by willyd; 06-01-2008 at 07:21 PM.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Hoosier

My Ride: 2004 330i
Corvette's have always been known for having extremely harsh rides. I understand that they have done a lot on the C06 to improve this, but its still basically like having no suspension. This is a car that can pull over 1.3 cornering G. Point is, anyone looking at a Corvette should know that's what they are getting, it is not a finesse car, it is the American Hot Rod.

Comparing these two cars is rediculous. I've been next to a Corvette in my previous 330 going about 55, and the Corvette took off like I was standing still. I'm sure it can smoke a Z4, both straight line and on track. However, I would not want to have a Corevette as a daily driver, The Z4 would be a much more pleasant drive.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
n2Bimmer

Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
n2Bimmer

you get the idea, its not a corvette but sorta close.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
e46stallion

My Ride: fwd
Send a message via AIM to e46stallion
these two cars are completely different...

my dad just got an 08 C6 and its a beastttttt! it would tear a z4 apart...it handles great and its not a harsh ride around town at all

altho im sure a z4 would out handle one the power a vette puts out is amazing and wayy too much fun