E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
stolidog

My Ride: 2004 M3 6spd
DISA Valve Removal

In every DIY guide and in every post I have read about taking out the DISA valve, the consensus is that there are two torx bolts/screws holding it in place (when I look at my car it looks like there are only two as well). However, when I went to the dealership to get new screws, the guy told me I needed 4. It looks like they are sold in 4-packs, so hopefully one of you can shed some light on this. The part number i found on realoem was 11611440384. I'm thinking they either just sell them in packs of 4 and the parts guy assumed that I "needed" 4, or.... I found the wrong part number. Any ideas?
stolidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Banned User

My Ride: '02 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolidog View Post
In every DIY guide and in every post I have read about taking out the DISA valve, the consensus is that there are two torx bolts/screws holding it in place (when I look at my car it looks like there are only two as well). However, when I went to the dealership to get new screws, the guy told me I needed 4. It looks like they are sold in 4-packs, so hopefully one of you can shed some light on this. The part number i found on realoem was 11611440384. I'm thinking they either just sell them in packs of 4 and the parts guy assumed that I "needed" 4, or.... I found the wrong part number. Any ideas?

There is definitely only two on the DISA valve. They may sell a pkg of four for use somewhere else on the intake. Any particular reason why you are buying new screws? You shouldn't need them unless the old ones are torn up. Your part # looks correct though.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
stolidog

My Ride: 2004 M3 6spd
Well... the top one was siezed in there pretty good and I sorta stripped it I tried to cut corners by not removing the cabin microfilter and the heatshield to the right. Doing that didnt give me the best angle on it and well... thats that. When I try it again, everything is coming out, ive got screw extractors, penetrating oil... you name it.... that screw is coming out!
stolidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Anti-seize

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Bailey228

My Ride: 99 323i Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
There is definitely only two on the DISA valve. They may sell a pkg of four for use somewhere else on the intake. Any particular reason why you are buying new screws? You shouldn't need them unless the old ones are torn up. Your part # looks correct though.
Defintely 2 for the DISA valve, and 2 more for the Idle Control Valve that are the same size. As stated, you don't need all four for the valve.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I tried to remove my DISA last night and the 5mm female hex bolts were not letting me put my 5mm allen in there and I ended up rounding the interior of the bolt. Is there a special tool that is used to remove these dam bolts? I have a motorcycle with like 50 5mm allens and never had a problem, why does BMW have to F-up something like this and make everyone life harder than it has to be?
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
BakaN20

My Ride: 06 350z 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino71 View Post
I tried to remove my DISA last night and the 5mm female hex bolts were not letting me put my 5mm allen in there and I ended up rounding the interior of the bolt. Is there a special tool that is used to remove these dam bolts? I have a motorcycle with like 50 5mm allens and never had a problem, why does BMW have to F-up something like this and make everyone life harder than it has to be?
If I remember correctly, the inside was torx-40, I just did mine recently and I think that was it. It was easy enough to remove the intake and stuff, you shouldn't cut corners. Good luck!

Home - Fcuk Iraq - Done playing Soldier
06 350z - Nismo Exhaust/Dynotune Nitrous Wet Shot/NANO Kit/Motordyne 5/16th Spaver/mrev2/Other stuff
03 325xi - Monokuro Boo neck rest and seat belt pads, floor mats. ~Stock~
BakaN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
so easy!

some times I pull this outta the card deck and show the milled disa cap that never was.

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaN20 View Post
If I remember correctly, the inside was torx-40, I just did mine recently and I think that was it. It was easy enough to remove the intake and stuff, you shouldn't cut corners. Good luck!
Are you talking about the DISA or the Idle control unit? The DISA bolts look like they are supposed to be allen...am I mistaken?
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
BMW#1_323i

My Ride: Loves curves!
If your going to pull out the disa, you may want to replace the o-ring before you put it back in as this can lead to a vacuum leak. Happened to me.
BMW#1_323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
How do you reconize DISA Issues ? What are the signs or encounters ?
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
How do you reconize DISA Issues ? What are the signs or encounters ?
It's the black box on the side of the intake manifold.

You can determine if it's failing by the valve ticking inside

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
so easy!

some times I pull this outta the card deck and show the milled disa cap that never was.

Where did you find this cap? I want one of those
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
BakaN20

My Ride: 06 350z 03 325xi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=691291

I am pretty sure it is a t-40. Like I said, I just did it.

Hey Solidjake, I used your video when I did my disa. Thanks for the diy!

Home - Fcuk Iraq - Done playing Soldier
06 350z - Nismo Exhaust/Dynotune Nitrous Wet Shot/NANO Kit/Motordyne 5/16th Spaver/mrev2/Other stuff
03 325xi - Monokuro Boo neck rest and seat belt pads, floor mats. ~Stock~
BakaN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaN20 View Post
Hey Solidjake, I used your video when I did my disa. Thanks for the diy!
you're welcome
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #16
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene325ci View Post
Where did you find this cap? I want one of those
i think he had it made

i am curious though, MachRC, did doing the cap affect any performance, or is it pretty much unnoticeable? I'm thinking about eliminating mine as well.

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
He may have had it made, but if he made a diagram with all of the values it would make it easier to make one
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Jake,

Belated thank you from me on your disa diy...I think I watched one of you heading to throttle body...and I'll get to that in spring. I also gave up like an idiot before cleaning icv.

And Yes, T-40, not an allen head...though I'm sure the 5 mm fit in fine...that's what stripped the bolt.

Doug

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
323I00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
It's the black box on the side of the intake manifold.

You can determine if it's failing by the valve ticking inside

Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
323I00