E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
InZain08

My Ride: 330ci
CCV Delete and Oil Catch Can Instead

Hey everyone, merry xmas and happy holidays!

So, I've started the process to remove the CCV from my car and replace it with a catch can.

My reasons for doing this include creating more negative crankcase pressure which improves engine performance and preventing the nasty, brown oil byproduct from entering the engine.

I chose Radium Engineering's kit for this job since it was developed specifically for the e46.

Here is a link: https://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can...esM3-P298.aspx

The catch can and associated hardware like the bracket, hoses and clamps are all high quality so rest assured.

I spent my morning removing pieces from the car that were in the way and at this point in time, I'm just about ready to remove the CCV as I've taken out the bolts for it. I haven't been able to remove the hoses from either the dipstick or the distribution rail on the IM. I'll give it another shot later when I have some time. I imagine I'll end up simply cutting the hoses with a razor since I won't be reusing them.

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress and I will also post pictures of the end result.

Enjoy the holiday!
InZain08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
InZain08

So I managed to remove all the hoses and the actual CCV from the car. I do have one question for anyone that can answer it.

I have been getting mixed responses when it comes to whether or not I should cap the dipstick tube.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
miller09

My Ride: 01 325xi
If you are talking about where the ccv drains into the dipstick You have to cap it for many reasons. How would your engine hold vacuum like you are trying to do with it uncapped? Dirt and debris could enter engine through the hole if left uncapped and it would most likely leak oil if uncapped. So no debate just cap it. Let us know how it works out as I am considering doing the same thing.
miller09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
InZain08

Miller, thanks for your response!

I definitely was talking about where the CCV drains into the dipstick.

The reason I asked is because I saw a few people said not to plug it because it will create too much vacuum. I always thought that was weird.

I will get back to it and update the thread with photos and some tips.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
miller09

I think you need to add a PVC inline on the return side in order to keep it from creating to much vacuum. Not sure if you kit came with one or not but the are cheap at the parts store and should be in stock. If you google e46 catch can PVC you should be able to find the part number. I have done a ton of reading about this and that's how I would do it. Just ordered a cold weather ccv yesterday my car is burning a ton of oil and the engine only has 74000 miles on it. So if a new ccv doesn't get the oil consumption in check I will be doing a catch can.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
InZain08

Yeah, you're absolutely right. The Radium Kit does NOT include a PCV but I got one from O'Reilly's,

PCV - Fram FV345 $2.99

Why did you opt for another CCV instead of just going for the conversion?
Old 12-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
miller09

I live in pa and don't want to empty it every couple weeks in the winter unless I have to go that route. If so I will probably put a drain valve on it. I am thinking with the mileage on my engine a new cold weather ccv should fix my problem for a long time. Hopefully another 70000
Old 12-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
InZain08

Ah, that makes sense. Well good luck with the new CCV. Let me know if you need any help
Old 12-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
miller09

Ok thanks