E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.10 average.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #1061
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330
Would anyone be interested in a pair of brand new black leather/alcantara recaro pole positions? I bought them for my car, but never put them in because I had planned on selling the car. I still haven't put them in because I still plan to sell the car soon. It'd be cool if a local could get them and save the shipping hassles lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #1062
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Hi, everyone! I'm a new member from stl. Just stopped by to say hi.

Not into mods right now. Too broke for that New rims (17") would be nice. Just dreaming...

Trying to keep up with maintenance. Mainly DIY. Used Bavarian a couple of times too. Over all happy with my bimmer.

Does anybody happen to have a BMW puller for rear diff. bushing? I might want to rent it sometime in the future. Can't deside whether to try to do it by myself or let the shop do it...
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #1063
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Welcome

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #1064
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
Welcome!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #1065
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post

Not into mods right now. Too broke for that New rims (17") would be nice. Just dreaming...

Trying to keep up with maintenance. Mainly DIY. Used Bavarian a couple of times too. Over all happy with my bimmer.

Does anybody happen to have a BMW puller for rear diff. bushing? I might want to rent it sometime in the future. Can't deside whether to try to do it by myself or let the shop do it...
Hey

What's your name?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #1066
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by T330 View Post
Hey

What's your name?
Hi, my name is Alex. Nice to meet you.
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #1067
generic 330i

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post

Glad to see another member and DIYselfer. Most of the maintenance is pretty simple so feel free to ask away.
generic 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #1068
generic 330i

I had a crazy incident with Suntrup BMW over the week and once I get some time I am going to post about it.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #1069
pat

suntrup = hell
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #1070
generic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
suntrup = hell
I take it you had a bad experience with Suntrup as well? I wished I asked you before taking my car in for service.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #1071
generic 330i

Hey guys check this out,
So my car was experiencing the dreaded 2-3k hesitation and after much research it requires a DME flash. I had no choice but to go to the dealer to get this done. I called around and Suntrup was willing to do it in half an hour on a Saturday. I take my car to Suntrup and it gets flashed. While I was waiting for them to bring around the car they informed me it is getting washed. I was surprised because I had no idea they washed cars that they serviced and my car was already clean to begin with (yeah laugh all you want, this is my first time getting my car serviced and I thought car washes are something you sign up for). I assumed as a Luxury dealer they would do it properly with a touchless machine.

Anyways they bring the car around and I was antsy to try the engine out. The car was still wet but I jumped in wanting to see if the flash worked. I drove it for 15-20 minutes trying to recreate the hesitation and SWEET the flash fixed the issue. It is now about 12pm and I arrive at Walgreens, I get out of my car with the sun shining brightly above and WTF. My car has a ton of swirlmarks/spiderwebs, my eyes almost popped out in disbelief. This couldn't be real because I did not have swirlmarks/spiderwebs on my car before I took it in for service. I walk around the car and sure enough it is on every inch of my car. I quickly called Suntrup and asked how they washed cars. They informed me that they washed cars by hand and I informed them what happened to my car.

They offered me a free oil change but I flatly refused and wanted them to fix what they had done to my clear coat. The service manager was out of the office so I would have to call back on Monday. So I take time off of work Monday to show the service manager my car. After looking at my car he initially agreed to have it detailed to get the swirlmarks/spiderwebs out. Again I took time from work to drop the car off on Wednesday. He calls me in the middle of the day and informs me that his "expert detailer" looked at the car and there was no way that their car wash could have scratched my clear coat and created the ugly swirlmarks/spiderwebs. Long story short they refused to have my car detailed to remove the damage they caused on my clear coat.

Here comes the worst part: they use 2 wash buckets, 1 with degreaser for the wheels and 1 for the car. I asked the guys that wash the cars, “how often do you rinse that dirty bucket”? Answer: every 8 to 10 cars

Long story short they refuse to detail my car to remove the damage they did . They and their “expert detailer” think washing a car with a bucket filled with 10 cars worth of filth (and possible degreaser) could not have caused any swirlmarks/spiderwebs on my car. They also completely insult me by saying my claim is an “intentional attempt to gain some type of compensation”.

Suntrup BMW what a classy Luxury car dealer

I went ahead and filed a BBB complaint against them. I doubt that will change anything though.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #1072
generic 330i

In case you are curious here are the pictures I took after finding out that Suntrup BMW scratched my clearcoat. The pics are a bit bad because I used my Blackberry but you can still see the swirlmarks/spiderwebs in the pictures. I emailed them these pictures but they said they can't tell anything from these pictures. I am just glad the sun came out that day or else I would not have caught it right away.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #1073
generic 330i

And here is the reason why I am so certain those swirlmarks/spiderwebs were not there to begin with.

About 3 months ago I detailed my garaged car for 2 days using the following process:

1. Car wash
2. DP Claybar and Lube
3. Car wash
4. Menzerna Intensive Polish with a Meguairs’ G110 Dual Action Polisher (same as Porter cable 7424)
5. Menzerna Final Polish with a Meguairs’ G110 Dual Action Polisher
6. Menzerna Finishing Glaze with a Meguairs’ G110 Dual Action Polisher
7. Wax with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax

After each polishing I reviewed my progress with a Halogen workshop lamp.

For all of my car washes I use the 2 5-gallon bucket method with Grit Guard to minimize and reduce any micro-marring of the clear coat. 1 bucket is for the soap and the other is for rinsing, both have Grit Guard. I use 3 different types of sponges (1 for the top of the car, 1 for the bottom of the car, and 1 for the wheels). I also pour a capful of ONR to help soften up the water. If you guys have never used ONR before you should try it, my car stays pretty clean during the winters .

I think in the future I will start posting the maintenance I do on my car so that I have better documentation. I bet Suntrup thinks I am lying when I tell them I detailed my own car 3 months ago.

Wish I never went to Suntrup, My car looks like crap in the sun and it is starting to get too cold to detail my car again
Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #1074
pat

I'm sorry to see this happen to your car. I personally don't have experience with them but I have seen to terrible reviews and multple reports of BMW getting screwed by these people. They are crooks.

Sorry to see this happen. I have a cordless buffer if you need to borrow one.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #1075
generic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
I'm sorry to see this happen to your car. I personally don't have experience with them but I have seen to terrible reviews and multple reports of BMW getting screwed by these people. They are crooks.

Sorry to see this happen. I have a cordless buffer if you need to borrow one.
Pat,
Thanks for the offer but I have a Polisher already. Just have to find the time to work on my car.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #1076
generic 330i

Since I said I would start posting about how I maintain the car here is something I did over the weekend. I flushed the ATF fluid in the Power steering. The old fluid was a dirty brown and I had to do it 3 times before it stayed a nice clear red. I ended up using all of the 1 qt of ATF fluid.

Here is a pic of the old fluid:

Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #1077
sly1types

My Ride: M3
Send a message via MSN to sly1types
How many miles are on your car when you did the ATF change?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #1078
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Wow, generic, as a detailer myself, it hurts to look at that damage. My local dealer did the same - twice!

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #1079
generic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
How many miles are on your car when you did the ATF change?
Sly, I have about 59k. Just wanted to note again that this is a flush of the power steering fluid which uses ATF. Flushing the power steering is probably the easiset DIY maintenance there is, just use the turkey baster method

I will be doing an ATF flush next spring when it is warmer and I have more time.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #1080
generic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Wow, generic, as a detailer myself, it hurts to look at that damage. My local dealer did the same - twice!
Wow, I thought I had it bad but twice?

That must have been an awful experience, hope the dealer did something to win your trust back. My dealer basically said see ya and you can get your car serviced somewhere else.

Suntrup BMW does not seem to care much about a first time customer